Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I can't speak for the others but I assume there is quite a bit more to the OP's normal diet than fries, chocolate, pizza, or even "junk" food when I said she could eat whatever she wants.

I think I understand your point of view, but from my perspective fries, chocolate, pizza = junk food

Encouraging the behavior of "eat whatever she wants" may just reinforce making bad food choices.

Learning to eat junk in moderation, say once a week, is a key to success.
    Learning to appreciate more healthy choices that you are not accustomed to -like salads- is also key.

Just my thoughts.

Assuming one is meeting one's nutritional needs, why does the frequency of pizza eating matter?

Assuming one is not meeting one's nutritional needs, eating salad daily isn't going to be a magic cure.

I think the overall context of the OP's diet is what is key here, not specific foods she may or may not be eating.

She will lose weight eating anything she likes as long as she is in a calorie deficit. Whether she is in a deficit or not, it's wise to eat in a way that leads to nutritional needs being met. But if she wasn't choosing to do that before, I'm not sure what the benefit is of a hyperfocus on it now.

Will OP be better off if she decides not to lose weight and continues eating as she is now? If OP is overweight, losing weight is still likely to be a net benefit to her health.

(This is assuming she has excess weight and isn't just losing vanity pounds).

Foods like pizza dont fit into MY calorie budget every day. They just don't. In order for me to eat pizza I have to sacrifice an entire meal and only eat 2 meals in a day. I can only eat foods like pizza, ice cream, and other calorie dense foods on days when I have woken up late and gone to bed early, and can be satisfied with only 2 meals. Many people on a calorie budget cant eat whatever they want every day. I have managed to budget small amounts of my favorite foods into my budget twice a week or so by exercising a lot on those particular days. Even then, I am limiting myself a lot. I'm definitely not eating whatever I want because my calorie budget doesnt allow it.

One slice of Papa John's pepperoni pizza on thin crust is 255 calories. That would fit into lunch or dinner for just about any calorie goal. Now that may not be the pizza you prefer and it may not be the quantity that you want, but I guarantee you that if OP wanted it, eating pizza daily would be something she could do and still have three meals a day. Would she possibly need to experiment to ensure she felt full and satisfied? Yes -- but then most of us have had to do that, it's part of being successful and counting calories. Would she eventually decide to have pizza less often because it required compromises she didn't feel like making all the time? Possibly. Again, that's something that has happened to some of us.

I think the disconnect is between people saying "Yes, you can have foods like pizza regularly and still lose weight" and others hearing "Yes, you can eat as much pizza as you want and still lose weight." Nobody is saying that you can eat as much of any food you want and still lose weight.

the phrase " whatever you want" suggests no limits. I asked several different people what they thought of that term since I have seen it thrown around a lot and that seems to be what people think. Most people won't be satisfied with one piece of pizza. I know I'm not. I'm trying to be realistic here.

That’s because there are no limits

Chocolate cake
    Ice cream
    Pizza

All permitted in appropriate portion sizes.

It’s the learning process so that you develop sustainable habits for life. And don’t yo yo cycle forever

Exactly. The pizza I like is 300 calories a slice. The cake, easily 400-500.

I can't fit them in "whenever I want" because I don't have that much room to eat satisfying portions (3-4 slices of pizza, for example, and more than a sliver of cake). But I can fit them in as sometimes treats.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    So far it is. The hardest part for me is sticking to my calorie budget without being hungry. That has forced me to eliminate my favorite foods for the most part because they dont fit in my calorie budget.

EXACTLY. But you CAN still eat your FAVOURITE FOODS ONCE IN A WHILE WITHIN YOUR BUDGET.

The point is that in order to lose weight and maintain your weight you have to forge a new reality where instead of literally asking yourself "am I going to order extra large fries AGAIN? I've had fries with every single meal THIS WEEK! I wish McDonald's had some salad"... which is an ACTUAL SELF DIALOGUE I'VE HAD several years ago when they didn't offer salads.... you look through your log and you discover a single small order of fries, a steak sandwich with fries, and an all you can eat fish and chips dinner which involved at least 250g of chips, THIS YEAR.

So eating your favourite foods does not mean having fries every day because then you won't be able to stay within your budget.

Simpez.

Exactly. I have budgeted treats in occasionally but that certainly does not mean "whatever I want".

It DOES. It is 100% exactly and precisely what it means.
    You can eat whatever the *kitten* you want. AS LONG AS YOU CAN STICK TO YOUR BUDGET.
    So you have to budget and ration and make choices because you... have a budget!
    And consequences when you can't stick to it.

Hey @nooshi713: I work a minimum wage job and Shania Twain is coming to town. Can I go see her? I dig that chick!

Why, yes, PAV888 if you can make it fit your budget go see Shania, but you might find yourself a bit short of rent money if you're not very careful. and, now that I think of it, you might not even be able to get front row seats, but perhaps a nice seat in the nosebleed section will let you have some fun!

@nooshi713, you *kitten* why are you **kittening** me by saying I can go see Shania.

I TOLD YOU I am making minimum wage. And I have to pay rent. And I want to see Shania and Jay-Z, and Biebs and Pearl Jam, and Eminem, and eat lost of M&Ms for that matter!

So OBVIOUSLY I can't go see all of them so why are you lying to me and pretending that I can!

All I can afford to do is go to the park and listen to whoever the city brings in for free in conjunction with the harvest festival, or maybe the Jazz festival, or the big parade festival.

You liar you, telling me I can go to whichever concert I want to if I can fit it in my budget.

QFA: Quoted for Awesome

Yep