June Self-Care Challenge

Options

Replies

• Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    Did some clearing of the mind about stuff I got upset about at work. Still bothered this morning but I was able to get to sleep instead of ruminating on it

I like to think about the quote: There are over 7 billion people on earth and you're going to let 1 person ruin your day?
    I am not minimizing what happened to you at work, but I try to do some self talk and remind myself that I've been through this before and worse and survived. Sending you a big hug.

Thank you for the hug and the reminder
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile Happy early birthday!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Great morning walk, self inventory and a filling breakfast
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,013 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    June 12: took a much needed 2-hour nap!!!

June 13: are my breakfast outside & relaxed. Took photos of the blooming flowers! Then read a research study on cruciferous vegetables and how they decrease risk of cancer.

Interesting things I learned:
    * 1% of food sold in Japan is radish
    * Their daily intake of crucifers is 5-fold that of American’s
    * If Americans all ate 5 servings of veg & fruit, estimates are that cancer would be reduced by 20%
    * Cruciferous vegetables prevent cancer more than 5-servings of veg/fruit a day
    * There are over 300 crucifers
    * Arugula is a cruciferous veggie!

I LOVE learning!! I’m sold! I’m adding at least one cruciferous veggie a day from now on!
    Broccoli was shown to reduce risk of all cancers. Yum!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    June 12: took a much needed 2-hour nap!!!

June 13: are my breakfast outside & relaxed. Took photos of the blooming flowers! Then read a research study on cruciferous vegetables and how they decrease risk of cancer.

Interesting things I learned:
    * 1% of food sold in Japan is radish
    * Their daily intake of crucifers is 5-fold that of American’s
    * If Americans all ate 5 servings of veg & fruit, estimates are that cancer would be reduced by 20%
    * Cruciferous vegetables prevent cancer more than 5-servings of veg/fruit a day
    * There are over 300 crucifers
    * Arugula is a cruciferous veggie!

I LOVE learning!! I’m sold! I’m adding at least one cruciferous veggie a day from now on!
    Broccoli was shown to reduce risk of all cancers. Yum!
    Cruciferous veggies are also very diabetic friendly.

Japanese radishes are awesome! If you aren't familiar with the different varieties of Korean and Japanese radishes, they are worth going to a foreign market to try. Grated as a garnish, thinly sliced as crudités, pickled, and cooked in soup stock.
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had the patio umbrella up because it was raining off and on. I intended to take a nap outside. But after about 5 minutes, I heard this noise - a tick tick sound of little paws on the patio. I looked and there was a nice sized groundhog heading my way. I jumped up out of the chair, and instead of it running the other way, it ran past me, and under the deck. It never came back out. I looked underneath the deck, and saw a fairly new mound of dirt next to the house. Great. Now we have a ground hog hole under the deck. That totally ruined my wanting to take a rest. Now I have to figure out how to make the critter abandon its hole. It's not the most easily accessible area. A couple of years ago, one tried to dig a tunnel by the front steps - but I was able to make it leave by filling the hole and putting things on top of it to prevent access.

I also took a walk in the rain and listened to my self help recording for 30 minutes.

I need to get back into my other hobbies.
  • allison8668
    Options
    Painted a picture of palm trees and the ocean and small sailboats. Didn't like my painting at all, but I told myself the gift was in the process , the doing, the mindfulness of the brush on the canvas .... overall very peaceful art class

Painting - what a great idea ! You've inspired me to do something artistic today - thanks !
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,013 Member
    Options
    June 14
    Taking it easy this morning. Breakfast outside: birds chirping! I hear the tinkling of a wind chime in the distance.

I’m grateful for all of you on our Self-Care journey

@rheddmobile thanks for the tips on Japanese radishes! I will try!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Happy 50th Birthday!! Hope today brings you peace, happiness and lots of laughter. Xoxo @rheddmobile
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday, @rheddmobile ! :heart:

I love hearing your progress with handstands! You're doing really well. Being next to a wall is really, really helpful! I do that too.
  • twyla77
    twyla77 Posts: 445 Member
    Options

This makes day 4 of being upside down every day - still doing wall planks, getting brave enough to actually lift one hand and walk back towards the wall. Still a very long way from a handstand! But it's good to try things outside my comfort zone, and this definitely is.

Sat outside this morning and did some writing. The heat is getting to be brutal, but sitting outside is helping me adjust better than I have in previous years. Or maybe it's just being skinnier.

I bought silly stuff for my birthday! (Which is Thursday.) Was out running errands with my husband and he encouraged me. So now I have crazy purple press on nails, purple hair spray, and a tiara. (Also: a blaster.) Apparently I get to be a space princess for my 50th birthday. My family was not the sort to throw birthday parties, so it's kind of groovy for me. Since two years ago I really wasn't sure I would make it to fifty, and last year I was too busy adjusting to life as a diabetic and stressing over the food to enjoy my birthday at all, I feel like I have reason to celebrate.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! i hope you had the best day!
  • saltypickle
    saltypickle Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I went with friends to see the movie, Book Club. I feel blessed to have long term supportive friends. Also got my nails and hair done this week. However, feel unproductive because I got very little exercise in beyond a walk one day.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    katy_maher wrote: »
    Yesterday I got my eyebrows done and was right next to a thrift store and popped in (and found a $235 dress for $4). I also spent time on my curly hair which is hard to do in the summer and wore it down all day.

Today I vegged out on a couple episodes of the Real World and did some major cleaning in my office. Tomorrow I took the day off and want to do some more cleaning and decluttering but I also want to spend some time making things since I haven’t done it in a while - and because most of my self care has been tv or shopping so far.

@katy_maher Have you posted in the "Let it GO!" de-cluttering thread?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10620293/let-it-go-decluttering-simplifying-your-life-of-people-places-or-things-success-stories/p1

You'd make such a great contribution!
  • allison8668
    Options
    Yesterday, I pencil sketched a picture of one of my quartz crystals and read a chapter in a book.