Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

@katharmonic Well done!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic That sounds like an awesome race!
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

June Goals:
    200 running miles.
    CrossTrain Bike & Swim.
    Weekly TSS > 600

June Running:
    06.01.18 - 8 miles.
    06.02.18 - 11 miles.
    06.03.18 - 6.5 miles. Weekly TSS 497 / Weekly Miles 41.5

Fall Running Events:
    10.14.18 - Lake Tahoe Marathon
    10.21.18 - Atlantic City Marathon
    11.03.18 - Indianapolis Monumental Marathon
    12.08.18 - Tucson Marathon

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Options
    Way to go @katharmonic! Sounds like a fantastic race.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Yay, I found the last page of this thread! I don't know if I'll be able to keep up this month, but we'll see. As far as a distance goal, I'll say 120 km.

RACE RECAP!!! Yesterday was the Solidarity Half Marathon from Świdnik to Lublin, Poland. I had a blast!

Transportation to the start line was 3 city buses packed solidly with runners. I couldn't even see another female (running is still a male-dominated sport here), and I spent the ride trying to inconspicuously breathe the fresh air coming from the air conditioner above where I was standing. What a relief when those doors finally opened!

It has been hot and humid all week, and that's what we were expecting, but in a wonderful turn of events, we got what was - in my opinion - ideal running weather instead, overcast with some rain to cool us off a little. There was a short period of torrential downpour, but honestly I was having the time of my life at that point and loved it.

My only time goal was to be faster than my halfway split from the marathon 3 weeks ago, so I lined up even further back than the zone I was supposed to be in. It still felt like everyone was passing me in the first 4k though. I told myself that if I went slowly enough at the beginning, I could "play" later, and made mental notes of some of the people who were passing me, as I knew I would see many of them again. Around the 4k mark it started to even out, and then just got better and better from there. There were a few people who would pass me, then slow down, and I'd just keep going at my comfortable pace and would pass them again later, only to have them "rally" (6k into a half marathon?) and pass me again. One girl was doing a run-walk thing, and one guy in particular didn't seem to want me to be ahead of him. I started to get tired of seeing the same people over and over, so I tried this thing where I would wait behind them until I felt ready, then put myself to the side but about 2 steps ahead of them, like I was giving them space but trying to pass them - only I would stay 2 steps ahead, no matter how much they sped up. It was interesting to me to see how hard they would work when it looked like someone was passing them (they weren't doing that when I was a couple meters behind them), and the pace was reasonable enough that I knew I could hold it for miles... they however, couldn't, so I just waited and finally they'd give up, and I wouldn't see them again. Then I could focus on the next person ahead of me - you know, the ones I knew I'd see again later?! Maybe I was having too much fun - Nope! It's called a RACE(!), even for those of us who are closer to the back than the front! And this wasn't a full marathon, I was running the whole thing and not feeling defeated and "bad at running", like I did just a few weeks ago. At the 9k I realized I was clearly doing a lot more passing than being passed, and I don't recall anyone catching me after about the 14k mark!

I am not fast, but I ran a negative split, felt strong the whole way, finished well, and got a PR by over 2 minutes! It's even more of a victory for me because my PR was on a flat course in even better weather (night race), and yesterday's race was on a course that the announcer said was "too hard for PR's". I felt so good, I biked the whole way back downtown later when I missed my ride and didn't want to wait for a bus.

The half marathon is definitely my favorite distance. Oh, and I can check off June for my one-HM-a-month streak. That makes 11 months so far!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    6/2 Solidarność Half Marathon-DONE!
    6/30 Silesian Highland [trail] Half Marathon
    7/16 CityTrail OnTour 5k

Awesome race!! Haha great strategy!

Hey, my HM streak is 11 months too! :)

Several things you've posted have made me think you are my running twin, and this just confirms it! Congrats on the streak :)
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Congrats @katharmonic! Sounds like you did great with pacing, and how fun that you got to hang out with Kathrine Switzer!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    June 1 – 9.51 miles (4.5 miles of hill repeats)
    June 2 – 7.82 miles (trails)
    June 4 – 5.02 miles

@katharmonic – How cool that you saw Katherine Switzer again! I read her book this past winter. Her focus and determination when she was training for Boston and other marathons was phenomenal! Congratulations on your race!
    @ddmom0811 – Red Robin is giving all teachers a free meal tomorrow. You should see if KC has one – you deserve it!
    Congratulations @midwesterner85, @noblsheep, @polskagirl01, @PastorVincent and @Scott6255’s brother on your races this weekend also!
    @HonuNui – more hugs coming your way because, let’s face it, can you ever have too many?

It was amazingly cool at 5:00 am this morning. After days and days of rain I think it has finally cooled the air and moved out. Loved all the pictures posted this weekend from all around the world!

Upcoming Races:
    June 16 – Run the Gate 5K
    September 7-8 – Blue Ridge Relay
    October 20 – Cherokee Harvest Half Marathon
    November 11 – Rock n Roll Vegas Half Marathon
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    unscheduled rest day. Just not feeling like getting it going today. I'll blame the rain.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    unscheduled rest day. Just not feeling like getting it going today. I'll blame the rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiZVrTaC9Pg
  • chrisahubbard
    chrisahubbard Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    3.25/50 down!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    6/1-1.08
    6/2-1.08 (5 hours aerial yoga)
    6/3-1.08

exercise.png