June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 congrats on your PR! You crushed it! That was a good race strategy.

Nice pics @girlinahat and @_nikkiwolf_!
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Another 5.5km that this time actually recorded. A little cooler today.
    MTD 11km/60km
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hey everyone. I saw on facebook that Rock N Roll San Diego had an active shooter. It sounds like the person was taken into custody. Runners were diverted. I didn't see anything about injuries. The article I read was like 2 paragraphs.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    6/1/2018 rest
    6/2/2018 2.65 miles
    6/3/2018 9.05 miles

Total 11.7 miles /80-85

I am going to need to get up earlier soon. I was dying by 8 am. I would have averaged under 14-minute miles but the last 3ish were slower because I kept taking walk breaks because of the heat. Slowly getting my speed back!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hey everyone. I saw on facebook that Rock N Roll San Diego had an active shooter. It sounds like the person was taken into custody. Runners were diverted. I didn't see anything about injuries. The article I read was like 2 paragraphs.

Wow, that's scary. This article makes it sound like it might have been a suicide attempt unrelated to the marathon, and that the only injury is a cop who maybe shot themself accidentally.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

Wow, that's scary. This article makes it sound like it might have been a suicide attempt unrelated to the marathon, and that the only injury is a cop who maybe shot themself accidentally.

The NY Post is reporting that it was someone with a gun threatening to kill themselves three blocks away. I don't think it was someone targeting the race (thank goodness). https://nypost.com/2018/06/03/cops-respond-to-active-shooter-at-san-diego-marathon/
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    Listening to press conference now. They said it started as a kidnapping in Chula Vista and ended near the race.

I know some runners were unable to finish their race, which sucks but I'm glad everyone is safe! Sadly, it's something we have to think about. I know the start of the Rock n Roll here has had snipers on the roofs for a few years.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Great race! PR!!! And what a streak! :open_mouth:

@girlinahat Glad your battery did not die out there! Phew! That reminds me I need to get some offline trail maps for my phone...

@5BeautifulDays5 Hey you are ahead of me... I think I have been in this thread for over a year now (I need to look someday) and still have not made a ticker :lol:
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    ETA: Something I've been thinking about - outside of the big bucket list races, how do people choose what to participate in? Right now I'm just doing the bucket list thing because I don't know if racing is a thing I'm going to enjoy or not, but in the event I do, there seem to be an awful lot of options out there, and I'm kind of uncomfortable with some of the messaging associated with some of the races. The two I'm registered for are both established events put on by the same organization with exists just to put on these races. But I'm a little overwhelmed by all the other options out there and am not sure about some of the "causes" either or entirely clear on what my registration fees are going towards. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    I choose mainly based on schedule, distance and type of race. Most are established race organizers, but I've done smaller charity-style races that I knew were for actual worthy causes. I don't think I'd do one if I wasn't sure about the cause/organizer. Fortunately there are enough choices around me, that I've been able to find races that fit my interests/goals and schedule.
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    June Running Update

Week 1: 18.1

Ran 2 of the 3 days in a short week. Saw podiatrist on Sat who confirmed I have nothing more than PF which I have being dealing with for the last 3 months. He is into fitness, ran in the past and while I had self diagnosed on google he did provide a provide some additional ideas on ways to help exercise and stretch to address the issue.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    ETA: Something I've been thinking about - outside of the big bucket list races, how do people choose what to participate in? Right now I'm just doing the bucket list thing because I don't know if racing is a thing I'm going to enjoy or not, but in the event I do, there seem to be an awful lot of options out there, and I'm kind of uncomfortable with some of the messaging associated with some of the races. The two I'm registered for are both established events put on by the same organization with exists just to put on these races. But I'm a little overwhelmed by all the other options out there and am not sure about some of the "causes" either or entirely clear on what my registration fees are going towards. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Mostly I look for races that fit:

1) Appears not to be some shoddily run haphazard mess.
    2) Close enough for easy ride
    3) Somewhat reasonable fee
    4) NOT ON A SUNDAY - I am a Pastor, so needs to be a Saturday race
    5) Works around my current work schedule

And that is really about it. I need to find more races actually I like having one every 4-6 weeks to help keep training focused.

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Great race! PR!!! And what a streak! :open_mouth:
    I should clarify that the streak isn't all races! Most were training runs, but as long as I went further than 21.1 km, I counted it.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    06/01/18 - 0
    06/02/18 - 1 mile race & 5k race
    06/03/18 - 10 miles @ 9:52

07/20/18 - Liberty Get Well Mile
    08/11/18 - Howl At The Moon 5k

--More as I find them - need find a nice trail race

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

So today was hot and humid, but I went out anyways. My miles per week really suffered in May due to the two tappers, and house hunting. So this week is only like 26 miles or something. Ah well. Nothing to do but get back on track. 10 miles today is a good start back in that direction.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Yay, I found the last page of this thread! I don't know if I'll be able to keep up this month, but we'll see. As far as a distance goal, I'll say 120 km.

RACE RECAP!!! Yesterday was the Solidarity Half Marathon from Świdnik to Lublin, Poland. I had a blast!

Transportation to the start line was 3 city buses packed solidly with runners. I couldn't even see another female (running is still a male-dominated sport here), and I spent the ride trying to inconspicuously breathe the fresh air coming from the air conditioner above where I was standing. What a relief when those doors finally opened!

It has been hot and humid all week, and that's what we were expecting, but in a wonderful turn of events, we got what was - in my opinion - ideal running weather instead, overcast with some rain to cool us off a little. There was a short period of torrential downpour, but honestly I was having the time of my life at that point and loved it.

My only time goal was to be faster than my halfway split from the marathon 3 weeks ago, so I lined up even further back than the zone I was supposed to be in. It still felt like everyone was passing me in the first 4k though. I told myself that if I went slowly enough at the beginning, I could "play" later, and made mental notes of some of the people who were passing me, as I knew I would see many of them again. Around the 4k mark it started to even out, and then just got better and better from there. There were a few people who would pass me, then slow down, and I'd just keep going at my comfortable pace and would pass them again later, only to have them "rally" (6k into a half marathon?) and pass me again. One girl was doing a run-walk thing, and one guy in particular didn't seem to want me to be ahead of him. I started to get tired of seeing the same people over and over, so I tried this thing where I would wait behind them until I felt ready, then put myself to the side but about 2 steps ahead of them, like I was giving them space but trying to pass them - only I would stay 2 steps ahead, no matter how much they sped up. It was interesting to me to see how hard they would work when it looked like someone was passing them (they weren't doing that when I was a couple meters behind them), and the pace was reasonable enough that I knew I could hold it for miles... they however, couldn't, so I just waited and finally they'd give up, and I wouldn't see them again. Then I could focus on the next person ahead of me - you know, the ones I knew I'd see again later?! Maybe I was having too much fun - Nope! It's called a RACE(!), even for those of us who are closer to the back than the front! And this wasn't a full marathon, I was running the whole thing and not feeling defeated and "bad at running", like I did just a few weeks ago. At the 9k I realized I was clearly doing a lot more passing than being passed, and I don't recall anyone catching me after about the 14k mark!

I am not fast, but I ran a negative split, felt strong the whole way, finished well, and got a PR by over 2 minutes! It's even more of a victory for me because my PR was on a flat course in even better weather (night race), and yesterday's race was on a course that the announcer said was "too hard for PR's". I felt so good, I biked the whole way back downtown later when I missed my ride and didn't want to wait for a bus.

The half marathon is definitely my favorite distance. Oh, and I can check off June for my one-HM-a-month streak. That makes 11 months so far!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    6/2 Solidarność Half Marathon-DONE!
    6/30 Silesian Highland [trail] Half Marathon
    7/16 CityTrail OnTour 5k

Awesome race!! Haha great strategy!

Hey, my HM streak is 11 months too! :)
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

1/6: 4.93 kms (easy pace run, wanted to see where I was at in my progress) + 2.93 kms (walk at lunch)
    2/6: REST
    3/6: 9.00 kms (hike) + 45 mins mowing

TOTAL : 13.93 / 90 kms goal

Races:

19/4-30/4: Zombies Run! App 2018 Spring Virtual Run
    22/9: “Coureurs des Bois” Obstacle Course Challenge (not signed up yet)