Science undecided of CICO?

Options

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    This is what I meant about this just coming down to semantics. You are talking about calorie counting and methods used to calorie count but you are calling it CICO, which is the 1st law of thermodynamics. It would be like a weight lifter complaining about the inaccuracy of gravity when he was trying to talk about problems with weight training programs and yet when people pointed out he probably didn't mean gravity he just kept insisting on calling it gravity.

Calorie counting is a bunch of methods based on formulas based on population studies that don't take into account everything or what may be true of a specific individual. It is not 100% accurate and people should not be under the delusion that it is 100% accurate. CICO on the other hand is literally the 1st law of thermodynamics and is a fundamental concept true of our universe. They aren't the same thing. I'd agree with you on several of your points if you just used the term I think you actually mean which is calorie counting.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    All1971 wrote: »
    I have not seen anybody explain to me how the CICO model accounts for metabolic adaptation - if you;ve got an answer I'd love to hear it. If i missed it in somebody's response - please show me where in this thread it is.

There is no CICO model but for what you are really talking about you shouldn't need an explanation for something that is so obvious. Hypothetically if you CO were to actually lower for whatever reason what should you do with your CI? I will give you a hint raising it will not be the answer.

• Aaron_K123
    Options
    pismodiver wrote: »
    OK, one more try.

CICO is not a model. It is merely a shorthand restatement of the First Law of Thermodynamics: Energy is neither created or destroyed.

Do you dispute that?

Metabolic Adaptation is a description of something that has been documented to occur in some people who have had large amounts of weight loss in the past. As a result, they expend less energy than would be predicted by models of human energy expenditure.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that whether they gain, lose, or maintain weight is determined by the relationship between their energy input and energy output.

Exactly and succinctly put.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    This is totally a bot.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    You're all over complicating things diets should be simple....for simple people :D

https://youtu.be/fae8gvRiiCM

BTW is there a way to embed youtube clips into posts rather than just the link?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You're all over complicating things diets should be simple....for simple people :D

https://youtu.be/fae8gvRiiCM

BTW is there a way to embed youtube clips into posts rather than just the link?

Yup, just post the URL directly in the dialogue box.

As for the rest of this hot mess... reading with amusement and horror, but not touching it with a 10 foot pole.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    This is totally a bot.

I hope so.

Just in case they aren't, All1971 isn't arguing against CICO at all (agreed there is no CICO Model). They are arguing against the CO estimation formulas. Everyone says those BMR estimates are just that... estimates. The BMR formula is a starting point that every single person has to adjust. There is no CICO Model that says the BMR formula is an exact calculation of calories out. No one says that. All1971 is arguing with people that don't exist.

The problem is that a person's BMR does not vary by more than 100 calories from the charts, even for someone with thyroid issues. The bot is purposefully confusing BMR with TDEE.

TDEE can vary from person to person of similar build/weight/activity by about 500 calories due to NEAT. I don't think the bot cares.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    This is totally a bot.

I hope so.

Just in case they aren't, All1971 isn't arguing against CICO at all (agreed there is no CICO Model). They are arguing against the CO estimation formulas. Everyone says those BMR estimates are just that... estimates. The BMR formula is a starting point that every single person has to adjust. There is no CICO Model that says the BMR formula is an exact calculation of calories out. No one says that. All1971 is arguing with people that don't exist.

The problem is that a person's BMR does not vary by more than 100 calories from the charts, even for someone with thyroid issues. The bot is purposefully confusing BMR with TDEE.

TDEE can vary from person to person of similar build/weight/activity by about 500 calories due to NEAT. I don't think the bot cares.

The stdev is 10%, not 100 calories, which mean its can be as high as 200 or 250 calories. Additionally, that's just the stdev, outliers can be even further off.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    This is totally a bot.

I hope so.

I had noticed the same. It indicates a total failure to understand planning and budgeting(of which dieting is a subset). The plan/budget simply provides a safe space/baseline to deviate from so that one doesn't act entirely at random and has a baseline to adjust fire from. It's the starting point of a solution, not the end point.

AKA

We think we're here and want to get there, so we'll head thisaway.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited June 2018
    Options
    This is totally a bot.

I hope so.

The stdev is 10%, not 100 calories, which mean its can be as high as 200 or 250 calories. Additionally, that's just the stdev, outliers can be even further off.

Hate to nitpick but standard deviation doesn't mean maximum and minimum. Stdev represents the deviation from average that captures the majority of the population...something like 70% in a normal distribution. So in a normal distribution a stdev of 10% and a mean of 100 would mean 70% fell between 90 and 110 but 30% were outside that range. There are certainly members within that sample that have values considerably higher or lower than the standard deviation.

So if the standard deviation was 10% on BMR you could expect within a normal distribution some 0.1% of the population would have BMRs more than 30% off the average for that weight.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    This is totally a bot.

I hope so.

Hate to nitpick but standard deviation doesn't mean maximum and minimum. Stdev represents the deviation from average that captures the majority of the population...something like 70% in a normal distribution. So in a normal distribution a stdev of 10% and a mean of 100 would mean 70% fell between 90 and 110 but 30% were outside that range. There are certainly members within that sample that have values considerably higher or lower than the standard deviation.

So if the standard deviation was 10% on BMR you could expect within a normal distribution some 0.1% of the population would have BMRs more than 30% off the average for that weight.

Thanks. I figured you'd clarify for us.

I was primarily interested in correcting the claim that the variation was 100 calories vs 5-15%(depending on study parameters). But I sort of knew I hadn't used stdev exactly correctly.