Science undecided of CICO?

Options

Replies

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    While energy intake simply represents the calories and nutrients absorbed from foods, energy expenditure (which I will refer to as Total Daily Energy Expenditure or TDDE) is made up of four distinct components that I will describe separately. Those four are resting metabolic rate (RMR), the thermic effect of food (TEF), the thermic effect of activity (TEA) and a relatively new factor called Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis (NEAT). When all four are added up, this represents TDEE.

Lyle McDonald. The Women's Book (Kindle Locations 2803-2807). Lyle McDonald.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    All1971 wrote: »
    Sorry, can you explain a bit more about what you mean? What sort of things are you thinking of which would change metabolic rate but not be tied to changes in body mass or body composition?

According to the CICO model - your daily metabolic rate should be your BMR + activity. My point is that BMR seems to do a poor job of predicting someones base metabolism overtime when they are on a diet. the biggest loser study here's accessible summary of the study (an https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/6-years-after-the-biggest-loser-metabolism-is-slower-and-weight-is-back-up/) found that the study participants were lower than should have been predicted by the BMR formula. If the BMR formula is an inaccurate variable in teh CICO model, then the whole model has a flaw,

On the flip side, there are numerous studies showing that if your burn 400 calories during 30 minutes of high intensity interval training your metabolism will go up and stay up for 24-48 hours and that you will get extra calorie burning benefits beyond just the 400 burned during your session. This is not the case if you burn 400 calories in a steady state exercise. There seems to be some mechanism in HIIT exercise that is not explained by the CICO model (BMR + activity)

According to the gravity model - your daily strength training with weights should be the weight you are lifting times the amount of times you are lifting it. My point is that weight that you should lift when you start seems to do a poor job of predicting the weight someone should lift overtime when one is doing strength training. The formulas used to calculate what a progressive program load should look like have been shown to be not that accurate. If the progressive load formula is an inaccurate variable in the gravity model then the whole gravity model has a flaw.

We need the 'Awesome' button back. :D
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    All1971 wrote: »
    Sorry, can you explain a bit more about what you mean? What sort of things are you thinking of which would change metabolic rate but not be tied to changes in body mass or body composition?

According to the CICO model - your daily metabolic rate should be your BMR + activity. My point is that BMR seems to do a poor job of predicting someones base metabolism overtime when they are on a diet. the biggest loser study here's accessible summary of the study (an https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/6-years-after-the-biggest-loser-metabolism-is-slower-and-weight-is-back-up/) found that the study participants were lower than should have been predicted by the BMR formula. If the BMR formula is an inaccurate variable in teh CICO model, then the whole model has a flaw,

On the flip side, there are numerous studies showing that if your burn 400 calories during 30 minutes of high intensity interval training your metabolism will go up and stay up for 24-48 hours and that you will get extra calorie burning benefits beyond just the 400 burned during your session. This is not the case if you burn 400 calories in a steady state exercise. There seems to be some mechanism in HIIT exercise that is not explained by the CICO model (BMR + activity)

CICO doesn't mean that you grab a random number from a calculator and follow it dogmatically, though. You're using poor application of a rule to invalidate the rule itself.

Exactly. The “CICO model” just deals with your calories in and your actual calories out. Two people that seem exactly the same will probably have different calories out for a multitude of reasons... you don’t really need to know why. Just track what you eat and what your weight does over the long haul and you’ll know what YOUR calories out are. Then adjust your calories in (or adjust how much you move to adjust calories out) to get the weight change you want. That’s it.
  • Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This discussion reminds me of Abbot and Costello's "Who's On First?" routine.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Has anybody else wondered if we’re dealing with a bot here? Just curious.
    Oh, crap: Could be. The last (presumed) one I interacted with here was more oriented to picking out a phrase in replies then going off on semi-tangents from those (ELIZA-like keyword strategy). This would be more a "Yes, but <restate premise in new words>" strategy. Slightly more convincing approach, if that's what it is.

ETA: The riff off the diagram is a little too good, though - riff has suitable context added.

Can anyone think of test strategies? ;)