Science undecided of CICO?

Options

Replies

• All1971
    All1971 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    For now, forget I even mentioned insulin. Can any of the CICO proponents explain to me what the CICO model says about “a tendency to preserve energy”. How is this tendency enforced by the laws of physics or the human body? Can this tendency be affected positively or negatively?

I don’t disagree with the tendency (and I proposed an approach using macro modification to drive hormones to drive the tendency in different directions). I just don’t know how the CICO model squares with this element of the model you sent.
  • All1971
    All1971 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Simply put: when a deficit persists too steeply or too long the body down regulates certain functions to preserve vital functions. But energy cannot be stored unless a surplus exists

Thanks for the reply. I understand and agree with a "tendency to preserve energy. I wouldn't entirely disagree with your response. I just don't think what you said is contained within or explained by the CICO model. Thats why i was so confused by the model of obesity that AnvilHead sent to justify/explain the CICO model in rebuttal to my assertion that i don;t think its a correct model.

My understanding of the CICO model is that on the "Calories in" side of the equation - a calorie, is a calorie, is a calorie (at least as far as weight gain/loss is concerned. I understand that there are some differences in macornutrients and the thermic effect on the calories out side.

On the "calories out" side of the equation you hace the BMR (basal metabolic rate - which should be set by your mass, body composition, age) + thermic effect of foot + activity calories (exercise and other activity).

I agree that the body has a tendency to preserve energy and that it does regulate the metabolism (down regulation for long term calorie restriction, short term up regulation for high intensity interval training) - I just don't see how you explain that using the CICO model.

When I raised a model of energy regulation that also involves hormones (particularly insulin, but also leptin, and gherlin, and cortisol) a bunch of people jumped on me and said that I was wrong and mocked alternate explanations of how the body handles energy balance, I think understanding whats actually happening is important because it might lead you to make alternate choices in diet, exercise, and lifestyle.

The perfect example of this exact issue is the "biggest loser" study which showed that years later the contestant's metabolisms slowed by more that could be explained by their drop in weight and that something else was happening that the researchers couldn't explain.

So how does the CICO model explain the tendency to preserve energy/down regualtion of metabolism?
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    All1971 wrote: »
    I get all the things your said. My assertion is that the CICO model is a simple linear equation that it is not accurate and does not adequately describe the complexity of the human body (which you also described nicely).

My point is that the CICO model has a very limited number of variables in it (calories consumed, BMR, thermic effect of food, activity calories) and as far as I can tell - not one of the variables explain or account for changes to metabolic rate that are not tied to changes in body mass/body composition.

If the CICO model can't explain something that people generally acknowledge happens - then why isn't the CICO model either incorrect or, at best, incomplete?

Sorry, can you explain a bit more about what you mean? What sort of things are you thinking of which would change metabolic rate but not be tied to changes in body mass or body composition?
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    wmweeza wrote: »
    Just going based on the evidence I can observe; Consuming fewer calories has resulted in me losing 61 pounds even with just a small amount of exercise. That tells me it works, and isn't science the observation, cause and effect? (and I think I love the trolls trolling the trolls!)

There’s also usually a bit of testing for replication of result in there but I guess we people of MFP are kinda the guinea pigs for that - squeak!

Triple trolling...
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Just going based on the evidence I can observe; Consuming fewer calories has resulted in me losing 61 pounds even with just a small amount of exercise. That tells me it works, and isn't science the observation, cause and effect? (and I think I love the trolls trolling the trolls!)

There’s also usually a bit of testing for replication of result in there but I guess we people of MFP are kinda the guinea pigs for that - squeak!

Triple trolling...

Not only that, we all unknowingly volunteered for a blind study!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Triple trolling...

Not only that, we all unknowingly volunteered for a blind study!

And if you disagree with them using your data, your account can be deleted.
  • Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I actually watched the whole video and found it pretty interesting even though some of it was over my head.

In the video he says the body can do 3 things with energy: store it, use it or waste it where wasting is through urine or exhaling.

My thought is that the “wasting” is actually part of “using”. The body might be using energy to convert the fat to waste and sending it out the body burning calories in the process. Therefore, there’s still only 2 things the body can do with energy: store or use.

But I’m just guessing.