Science undecided of CICO?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I am undecided of the purpose behind this thread. Does that make me science?

:trollface:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Why would anyone waste time reading comments from anonymous posters with no accountability?

You mean like here on MFP? :wink:

I actually like reading the comments on NY Times articles. Will have to see if something is different in this particular article.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Mari22na wrote: »
    So you lost 20 pounds though creating a calorie deficit but some random comments on an article are making you doubt that it actually happened?

I have a friend who watched a utube video that said garlic was poisonous to your body. One video and she's on the anti-garlic crazytrain. I sent her all kinds of medical studies, articles but then she became mad. I don't want to eat something that's going to poison me.

I told her that thousands of years of eating garlic by the Greeks and Italians has not proven to be poisonous for people. She made a decision to believe one random opinion and throw everything out with the bathwater. She has not spoken to me again. History, food science did not tell her what she wanted to hear and that's where most of the food debate gets started and never ends. Sigh.

Mmmmm, more garlic for me!

You're falling further behind.

I'm trying! Without cheating...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I’m a biomedical engineer. CICO must work due to the laws of the universe. If you can’t acknowledge that, we can’t have a useful conversation.

The problem with CICO is that it is somewhat challenging to estimate the CI and really hard to estimate the CO. For most people the general rules work, but I have seen people that have bodies that do all kinds of crazy things. That’s what special studies are for.

Pretty much. I think that what scientists don't really agree on is how the body might use up more calories to burn some food versus others or whatnot... But it's still CICO...
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited June 2018
    Most of the articles I have read that purport to show there is more to it than that are really just accomplishing the same end some other way. They point out that is nearly impossible to get counts of calories consumed and calories burned completely accurate and then propose that some other inexact method is better because keto (or whatever term they choose to insert at the end).

I think it gets contentious when the different inexact method claims some other mechanism of action. I mean, fine. If calorie counting doesn't work for you, then reduce your calorie intake by whatever means works. Just don't try to tell me that the reason your way works is something other than CICO.

When you get into straight-up claims that a strategy like "eat less, move more" NEVER WORKS -- which I've gotten more than once -- you're into the universe of nonsense.
  • lacyphacelia
    lacyphacelia Posts: 58 Member
    Here's a question people need to answer honestly about CICO:

If you were stuck on an island in the middle of nowhere, or got lost in the woods for a month and had to subsist off of available food in both scenarios (whatever you could kill/catch/eat that wasn't poisonous)-- wouldn't you lose weight from having a restricted food supply? I've accepted that the human body has protective mechanisms for metabolism, but at some point your body adapts and you will lose weight.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member

If you were stuck on an island in the middle of nowhere, or got lost in the woods for a month and had to subsist off of available food in both scenarios (whatever you could kill/catch/eat that wasn't poisonous)-- wouldn't you lose weight from having a restricted food supply? I've accepted that the human body has protective mechanisms for metabolism, but at some point your body adapts and you will lose weight.

It would depend on how plentiful the game, fruit, nuts, and other foodstuffs were, and how skilled you were in hunting and gathering.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member

It would depend on how plentiful the game, fruit, nuts, and other foodstuffs were, and how skilled you were in hunting and gathering.
    Coconut oil, fresh from the coconut!