Does everyone still use the bmi scale??

Options

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    An update to my post up thread: this morning (after an aggravating stall) the scale registered a 2 pound loss, which puts me at a BMI of 25!! While I’m happy to have achieved (finally) the top of “normal”, I most definitely have fat left to lose. But this sure feels good :smile:

Congrats on your weight loss success but you need to know that 25 is NOT the top of the "normal" BMI range. 25 is the "bottom" of the "overweight" range and 24.9 is the "top" of the "normal" range.

Sorry to be the one to burst you bubble but on the plus side this means that you are really close to achieving your goal. Just another # or 2 will do it.

Good luck!

Can't work out if this post is supposed to be funny if you are really serious ..

Surely nobody thinks their BMI status, ie whether it is in overweight range or healthy range, differs between being 24.9 and 25.

Everyone's weight fluctuates slightly anyway - do you think people vary in whether they are healthy or overweight depending on which side of ledger a lb or two puts them.

* shakes head*

No, but making goal or not making goal is pretty black and white; close to goal isn't good enough for some of us that used BMI to set the goal.

I started my fitness journey at BMI 19, currently in the 24s. Can't wait until I hit 25.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    An update to my post up thread: this morning (after an aggravating stall) the scale registered a 2 pound loss, which puts me at a BMI of 25!! While I’m happy to have achieved (finally) the top of “normal”, I most definitely have fat left to lose. But this sure feels good :smile:

Congrats on your weight loss success but you need to know that 25 is NOT the top of the "normal" BMI range. 25 is the "bottom" of the "overweight" range and 24.9 is the "top" of the "normal" range.

Sorry to be the one to burst you bubble but on the plus side this means that you are really close to achieving your goal. Just another # or 2 will do it.

Good luck!

Can't work out if this post is supposed to be funny if you are really serious ..

Surely nobody thinks their BMI status, ie whether it is in overweight range or healthy range, differs between being 24.9 and 25.

Everyone's weight fluctuates slightly anyway - do you think people vary in whether they are healthy or overweight depending on which side of ledger a lb or two puts them.

* shakes head*

No, but making goal or not making goal is pretty black and white; close to goal isn't good enough for some of us that used BMI to set the goal.

I started my fitness journey at BMI 19, currently in the 24s. Can't wait until I hit 25.

Interesting; I was referring to losing below it, but the last pound will be just as important to you to get above it.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

Good luck!

* shakes head*

Interesting; I was referring to losing below it, but the last pound will be just as important to you to get above it.

I know you did. I'm looking forward to being muscled and "overweight" to supposedly decrease my life expectancy.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

Good luck!

* shakes head*

I know you did. I'm looking forward to being muscled and "overweight" to supposedly decrease my life expectancy.

I do not pay BMI much mind. I am @ 51yo male @ 6'0" @ 205lbs and, according to BMI, overweight! And, not that far from obese. Oh, well! I will still be overweight when I get down to my target range (192 would be AMAZING). I sure don't look overweight now and really don't look overweight at 192.

Anyway, take it with a grain of salt (and, no....not the himalayan pink salt!).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

Good luck!

* shakes head*
    The BMI range does differ there by definition. 24.9 is in the normal range, 25 is in the overweight range. There needs to be a cutoff somewhere and that's the spot. The individual's health doesn't magically differ by crossing over that point but their BMI range does differ. BMI is rigid and that's one of the complaints about it.

If your health insurance company gives a discount for being in the normal BMI range, that last pound makes the difference.

Sure, for health insurance purposes, if they are that particular - different country here where that doesnt apply to me, so no experience of that.
    and of course there has to be an official cut off point as there is in all guidelines.

But key word is guidelines - to think the difference in real life or in meeting personal goals matters between 24.9 and 25 seems misunderstanding of guidelines to me and applying them far too rigidly.
  • CarvedTones
    Options

Good luck!

* shakes head*

It is about odds, not certainty for everyone in the group. people in the 23 to 24.9 range have the highest average remaining life span. It isn't much less for 22 or 25 and it is still just an average, which means a lot of people will live longer, some much longer. 25 is significantly better than 19.

But my point was/is that if 25+ is your goal , then the last pound to get at or above 25 is important to you.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I feel like I triggered this last bit of discussion about “accuracy” because I stupidly rounded the BMI number in my post. I’ve known for *months* where I had to get to be considered normal BMI, and why I typed it as 25 and not 24.9 I cant tell you. You would think I’d get a milestone that was so important to me correct!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to BMI. But I know, no matter how much muscle I build, I will never be 25+ for my stats and as lean as I want to be. It just won't happen for me and my frame. Right now I am 21.6... but probably 22-23 will be my happy place.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

Good luck!

* shakes head*
    The BMI range does differ there by definition. 24.9 is in the normal range, 25 is in the overweight range. There needs to be a cutoff somewhere and that's the spot. The individual's health doesn't magically differ by crossing over that point but their BMI range does differ. BMI is rigid and that's one of the complaints about it.

If your health insurance company gives a discount for being in the normal BMI range, that last pound makes the difference.

Sure, for health insurance purposes, if they are that particular - different country here where that doesnt apply to me, so no experience of that.
    and of course there has to be an official cut off point as there is in all guidelines.

But key word is guidelines - to think the difference in real life or in meeting personal goals matters between 24.9 and 25 seems misunderstanding of guidelines to me and applying them far too rigidly.

So just coming close to meeting your goals should be good enough? If your goals aren't rigid, why have them at all? The point of having specific measurable goals is to remove subjectivity. I used to think I was in pretty good shape 10-15 pounds overweight. I really wasn't.

They don't wave the checkered flag just because someone is close to the finish line. It's a line you have to cross.

Well, 10 - 15 lb overweight isnt going to be a difference of one tenth on BMI is it?

to me, yes, your goals should take into account real life common sense flexibility.
    Goals do not have to be rigidly precise to be worth having at all

The actual difference in health etc between 24.9 and 25 is nothing.

My goal was to lose about 10kg and is now to maintain my weight at about 62 kg which is about a BMI of 23.

My weight fluctuates slightly but it hasnt fluctuated more than 3 kg - ie 1.5 either side of goal - in 4 years though.
    and I do that by consuming, on average. a net amount of about 1710 calories, might be more or less, I dont measure everything to the last gram

I don't aim to always be exactly 62kg or exactly a BMI of 23. 22.9 or whatever is fine

Real life - it isnt rigid or exact.

You are missing the point. My goal was not to be exactly 24.9. My goal was to get below 25 and stay there. When I was at 25.0, I had not made goal yet. Sure, I felt pretty good and knew I was progressing and would soon make goal, but I didn't pretend I had made goal just because I was close. I am maintaining down around 24 and it bounces around a little but stays below 25. That's real life - you can set goals and decide to really make them and not just accept being close. You do you, but that's not how I roll.