I lost 20% of my body weight in 300 days.

Options
RunsWithBees
RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
Currently age 43
Height 5’11”
Highest weight 209 lbs
Goal (and current) weight 167 lbs
In maintenance for over 4 years

Lost at the rate of about a pound per week. Simply eating less and exercising after a lifetime of being sedentary. Started with walking, then hiking, now running. I’ve learned that eating less is for weight loss and exercising is for fitness, but they compliment each other and doing both yields the best results. And you absolutely have to be honest with yourself about how much you are really eating! (really!!!) :(

I decided I didn’t want to follow my family’s tradition of ending up with type 2 diabetes by middle age. My wakeup call was my liver beginning to show signs of non-alcoholic-fatty-liver-disease before I was even 40 and I hated being asked nearly every day by someone (from working with the public) when my baby was due when I wasn’t pregnant :s (my child is all grown up) Also I would get short of breath just climbing a flight of stairs, I couldn’t even walk around the block. But now that my liver is back to normal, fasting glucose is fine, and my cardio is excellent, what keeps me going is I’ve found my passion for trail running! (and I love wearing bikinis Lol) B)

It wasn’t always easy, there were plenty of obstacles but I just kept my eye on the prize. Patience, patience, patience was definitely necessary! I’m also hypothyroid, pcos, and anemic so had to work with my doctor to get those under control. It took me 3 whole weeks to lose the very first pound (!) :# but after that my body figured out that I was not going to quit so it stopped fighting me so much and I started losing a pound per week. I had to make up my mind that I wasn’t going to let anything stop me from reaching my goal. Don’t let anyone convince you that you can’t lose weight and look fantastic in middle age, it is entirely up to you what you want to accomplish. It won’t be easy, but you CAN do it!

Hopefully this thread will inspire others to keep reaching for their goals regardless of how old they are... age is just how many trips you’ve made around the Sun, it doesn’t have to limit or define you. Make time for the important things in your life and make the most of the time you have now! Peace :)
h9zeme3amkj8.jpeg

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    You look amazing. Great job!!
  • competeagain
    competeagain Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Woa
  • xoxorainie
    xoxorainie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring! Thank you for sharing :)
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Wow!! This is amazing!! Great job!!
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous - truly stunning. I'm amazed you run barefoot! Is that usual in trail running? In muddy UK that wouldn't be possible, but it looks lovely. And brave!
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    cherys wrote: »
    You look fabulous - truly stunning. I'm amazed you run barefoot! Is that usual in trail running? In muddy UK that wouldn't be possible, but it looks lovely. And brave!

Barefoot running is a thing here in the UK, not widespread but is a thing :)
    https://www.barefootrunninguk.com/
  • PLAID1977
    PLAID1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    So fantastic!! How did you not get discouraged and give up while waiting weeks to lose the first pound? How were you so sure that it would eventually work?
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Nice job! You got me curious and I ran my numbers. I don't think my loss was as healthy as yours as I pushed it a little much. 30% in under 250 days. This is not a competition you want to win; I lost a bit of muscle that took some work to get back. You did it right.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Wow, amazing transformation! I love that you're an avid barefoot trail runner. I feel like that would be so grounding and centering. I always enjoy my runs more when they are away from traffic.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look great. Awesome accomplishment
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You absolutely rock!!!! So inspiring, and you’re so right about patience being so important. So happy for you!
  • RunsWithBees
    Options
    kdbulger wrote: »
    Wow, amazing transformation! I love that you're an avid barefoot trail runner. I feel like that would be so grounding and centering. I always enjoy my runs more when they are away from traffic.

It’s great to go out on the trails to get away from it all! I go every chance I get, it really helps me decompress from everyday life.
  • RunsWithBees
    Options
    Nice job! You got me curious and I ran my numbers. I don't think my loss was as healthy as yours as I pushed it a little much. 30% in under 250 days. This is not a competition you want to win; I lost a bit of muscle that took some work to get back. You did it right.

Congrats on achieving your goal! Definitely slow and steady is the way to go, I learned that by trial and error. Maintenance is another beast all together so currently focusing on that. I do allow myself to gain about 5 lbs over the winter and lose it by the time summer rolls around.
  • DaveJ_43
    DaveJ_43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    We've been pals for a while now and I didn't know a lot of this. Great post! I am sure it will inspire others - it will inspire me to keep it in maintenance! Thanks for sharing! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!