I lost 20% of my body weight in 300 days.

Options

Replies

• rhps1984
    rhps1984 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations:)
  • wannabesmaller2017
    wannabesmaller2017 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You look great!! I'm jealous of your long legs!
  • Neiross1
    Neiross1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great job, best of luck with your future endeavors.
  • ashlee_g
    ashlee_g Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow! Amazing work! Thank you for the insightful post. I’m definitely inspired to try bare foot running/walking. The post reminded me of how nice it was as a kid to go barefoot. I’ll look up the resources you suggested. Thanks!
  • drbeanie2000
    drbeanie2000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You look great!

I've done something similar - 20% took about 340 days, but still, it's 35 pounds, and I'm 5'3" (& 46 yo), so 172.5 -> 137.5 is a LOT on me.

I only started exercising in the last few weeks - it just seemed too hard to lug all the weight around. I'm hoping I won't just have less weight, but a better-defined body.

I started on one of those "Lose XY pounds in 14 days!" diets and it was a jump-starter for me, but yes, it takes time, and patience.

Thanks for the inspiration!
    Currently age 43
    Height 5’11”
    Highest weight 209 lbs
    Goal (and current) weight 167 lbs
    In maintenance for over 4 years

Lost at the rate of about a pound per week. Simply eating less and exercising after a lifetime of being sedentary. Started with walking, then hiking, now running. I’ve learned that eating less is for weight loss and exercising is for fitness, but they compliment each other and doing both yields the best results. And you absolutely have to be honest with yourself about how much you are really eating! (really!!!) :(

I decided I didn’t want to follow my family’s tradition of ending up with type 2 diabetes by middle age. My wakeup call was my liver beginning to show signs of non-alcoholic-fatty-liver-disease before I was even 40 and I hated being asked nearly every day by someone (from working with the public) when my baby was due when I wasn’t pregnant :s (my child is all grown up) Also I would get short of breath just climbing a flight of stairs, I couldn’t even walk around the block. But now that my liver is back to normal, fasting glucose is fine, and my cardio is excellent, what keeps me going is I’ve found my passion for trail running! (and I love wearing bikinis Lol) B)

It wasn’t always easy, there were plenty of obstacles but I just kept my eye on the prize. Patience, patience, patience was definitely necessary! I’m also hypothyroid, pcos, and anemic so had to work with my doctor to get those under control. It took me 3 whole weeks to lose the very first pound (!) :# but after that my body figured out that I was not going to quit so it stopped fighting me so much and I started losing a pound per week. I had to make up my mind that I wasn’t going to let anything stop me from reaching my goal. Don’t let anyone convince you that you can’t lose weight and look fantastic in middle age, it is entirely up to you what you want to accomplish. It won’t be easy, but you CAN do it!

Hopefully this thread will inspire others to keep reaching for their goals regardless of how old they are... age is just how many trips you’ve made around the Sun, it doesn’t have to limit or define you. Make time for the important things in your life and make the most of the time you have now! Peace :)
    h9zeme3amkj8.jpeg

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    solieco1 wrote: »
    These were exactly the questions I was asking! Thanks!! Think I'm going to give it a run or two and see what happens :)

Please start out very slowly!!! Just like you wouldn’t start out immediately lifting 500 pound weights, you have to start small and build up gradually. It’s easy to do “too much too soon”. Do a bit of research into The Pose Method and Chi Running to get your form down :) and do some easy walking and hiking to get your feet used to new surfaces and textures. Again... please go slow and very short distances to start out with! :# And have fun! It shouldn’t be painful or uncomfortable if it isn’t fun then change something you are doing until it feels light, easy and fun :)

Thanks! I run with decent midfoot form already but yes, great advice. It's so easy to get excited about something new and later regret the enthusiasm LOL.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Did a lovely 7.1 mile trail run yesterday, super fun! :)

o82htxjw3tx3.jpeg
  • TomFit18
    TomFit18 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    awesome
  • shedsports10
    shedsports10 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You look terrific. Keep up the good work. 👍
  • losingweight677
    losingweight677 Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Great job!

Quick question: have you an idea of how many calories you consume(d) each day?
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Look at you go! Amazing!
  • Parsniphead
    Parsniphead Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You look absolutely amazing.Today I was feeling hopeless being 47 and FAT. You have just given me the kick up the bum needed. Thank you.
  • RunsWithBees
    Options
    Great job!

Quick question: have you an idea of how many calories you consume(d) each day?

When I was losing weight I think my calories were around 1400-ish (set to sedentary and I’m hypothyroid) and I ate back ALL my exercise calories (from mfp calculations). Now that I’m maintaining I’m on 1800-ish and stay under most days but probably go slightly over once or twice a week and still eat back all my exercise calories. I also go way, way over on special occasions only.
    It’s taken me awhile to hone in on my maintenance calorie amount but 1800 has been working for me for about 4 years now. It probably allows for a margin of error as well. All calorie calculations say I should be around 2100 (even at sedentary) but if I eat that much, I gain. Guessing that being hypothyroid brings my BMR down so I have to eat less than someone my height normally would. I hear a lot of people claim that metabolic disorders only cause negligible lower calorie needs but 300 calories is not negligible to me! It’s the difference between maintaining a healthy weight or returning to being overweight, so I must remain vigilant. I weigh myself about once a week to keep things in check. Hope this helps :)
  • RunsWithBees
    Options
    You look absolutely amazing.Today I was feeling hopeless being 47 and FAT. You have just given me the kick up the bum needed. Thank you.

You can ABSOLUTELY do it!!! :):):)
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    wonderful job- thanks for sharing
  • shedsports10
    Options
    <3<3<3 trail running!!! (my son took these photos on old-school black & white film)
    iumr7zx0a24s.jpeg
    njvc6bufbj1e.jpeg
    Your son takes some really cool photos. You look fantastic. Keep up the awesome work. You look like you really enjoy running.

• RunsWithBees
    Options
    <3<3<3 trail running!!! (my son took these photos on old-school black & white film)
    iumr7zx0a24s.jpeg
    njvc6bufbj1e.jpeg
    Your son takes some really cool photos. You look fantastic. Keep up the awesome work. You look like you really enjoy running.

Thank you! Yeah, he enjoys photography with old-school analog cameras and real film that actually needs to be developed B) I do love running! I have truly found my passion and intend to continue running hopefully for a long, long time :)
  • RunsWithBees
    Options
    Found this old pic from when I lost weight and got rid of my big clothes. (these weren’t even my biggest pants!)
    I went from a women’s US size 18-going-on-20 to a size 10! I love shopping for clothes now! :)

tb19dbcyey2e.jpeg
  • RunsWithBees
    Options
    Triple digit heat today! This pic is from last Weds but I’m working today so I’m daydreaming of being poolside 😎🌞

wzkcn2ia0bo5.jpeg
  • shedsports10
    Options
    Looking amazing. Keep up the good work and enjoy the pool 🏊‍♀️😎
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!