I am somehow gaining weight on a calorie deficit..

Options
12346»

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,748 Member
    Options
    awesometin wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the input! Now to answer some of the questions but without quoting.

My scale is just in the bathroom with hardwood floors.

Thanks for the link to food scales. But it sounds like your suggesting I am taking in much more calories than I am. Let's say I am. I have two shakes throughout the week daily. Breakfast and lunch. 150 each. That is 300 calories. I know this because it's on the label and barcode scanner. My daily allowed intake is 1540 now.

So..my last meal of the day is somehow over 1240 calories? Did I miscalculate that much by not weighing?

Cooked rice only half a cup. Chicken about 8 ounces and really the only thing that sorta gets eyed but it's barely any chicken. It's depressing how little really. and measure in a cup black beans.

I just don't see how I am going over because I didn't weigh the same meal every day.

When you ask a group of people to troubleshoot an issue like this, we generally start with the things that are most common and easiest to fix and work our way out from there. It's a lot like calling tech support. They have to ask if you've rebooted your computer even though you know what you're doing because that fixes so many problems.

Out of curiosity, have you watched any of the videos in the link quiksylver gave you, yet? They were pretty eyeopening to me. I know that when I compared my day by measuring with cups/spoons and then weighing the same portion, I was off by about 500 calories throughout the day. Do I think that's your whole problem? Probably not. But it could be a confounding issue.

Not losing weight usually comes from a variety of issues. Here we have the possibility of logging issues combined with a short time frame, which usually also means fluctuations are in play that may be masking weight loss that is still happening. When people say they weigh their food, they usually mean all of it. All solids on a scale, all liquids in a measuring cup. If you aren't doing that, it's just going to confuse things to claim that you weigh everything.

Another thing that may be confounding the issue is the barcode scanner. It's just as infallible as the rest of the database. Be sure you're checking it against your actual nutrition label and that you're certain the number of servings on your shake's label is accurate. Many aren't.

Somewhere, buried in all of these possibilities, you'll find your answer. But probably not if you keep saying they aren't possibilities. Loot at everything and start eliminating variables until you find your answers.

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.

I joined the Give me 10 Day Challenge. I have found doing that that I will have a loss, then it will go up for a few days, and then back down again, but when I look overall I am consistently losing.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,748 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    It's probably been said already (didn't bother reading the entire thread) but, if you are gaining weight, you are NOT in a calorie deficit.

You just need to accept CICO to understand that and the solution is simply to eat less and/or exercise more.

So below 1500 (some days just drink 3 shakes and it's about 500 calories) but still not in a calorie deficit? Hmm ok.

Are you worried about the cortisol from putting so much stress on your body contributing to higher water weight fluctuations? 500 calories some days combined with guilt over reaching 1500 calories is a big red flag.

cortisol? The steroid? Sorry not understanding this post much. I somedays just don't feel like eating is all. Or by the time I am really hungry the day has gone by and it's already like 11pm and don't want to eat and sleep for fear of gaining.

If you're under your calories, hungry, and afraid to eat, that doesn't sound like fun.

Eating and sleeping doesn't cause weight gain. Your body uses energy all night, even when you're sleeping. As long as it doesn't give you heartburn or make it harder for you to sleep, you don't have to be afraid of eating before bed.

I have been lied to my whole life! LOL I was already told growing up eating before going to bed can make you fat so I always avoided.

Yes you have :)
  • awesometin
    awesometin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    OP, didn't you mention the digital scale is reading you heavier compared to your other scale? Is the 169 weight on the digital or other scale? I can say from experience, my digital scale weighed me 14# heavier than my other scale.

I can't remember what the other type of scale is called, sorry. Analog? Spring? Old people problems!

Good point. I got a new digital scale several months into the weight loss process and it read 12 lbs higher than the old one. Which one was correct? Didn't matter, because it didn't change the fact that I had lost 30 lbs (though admittedly a bummer mentally). All that matters is the trend over time on one scale.

Currently, I weigh 175 on analog. 181 on Digital. Odd thing is that one time I weighed exactly the same on both..never happened again though. the digital one is telling me I weigh much more.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    OP, didn't you mention the digital scale is reading you heavier compared to your other scale? Is the 169 weight on the digital or other scale? I can say from experience, my digital scale weighed me 14# heavier than my other scale.

I can't remember what the other type of scale is called, sorry. Analog? Spring? Old people problems!

Good point. I got a new digital scale several months into the weight loss process and it read 12 lbs higher than the old one. Which one was correct? Didn't matter, because it didn't change the fact that I had lost 30 lbs (though admittedly a bummer mentally). All that matters is the trend over time on one scale.

Currently, I weigh 175 on analog. 181 on Digital. Odd thing is that one time I weighed exactly the same on both..never happened again though. the digital one is telling me I weigh much more.

Did you take your starting weight on both scales?

I would toss the oldest one or put it away and only compare like data. Something else that my hubby noticed about ours (because he is a bit obsessive, but in a harmless way) is that the more weight he loses, the closer the readings tend to be (maybe I messed the old one up when I was at my heaviest).
  • awesometin
    awesometin Posts: 34 Member
    Options

I would toss the oldest one or put it away and only compare like data. Something else that my hubby noticed about ours (because he is a bit obsessive, but in a harmless way) is that the more weight he loses, the closer the readings tend to be (maybe I messed the old one up when I was at my heaviest).

No, I didn't unfortunately. I had the analog for a while and someone recommended a digital one so I was already at/around 175 when I bought it.

I hear the digital ones can have several issues and factors that cause issues but I like that it has water, body fat measurements o nit. now..idk how accurate that is. One day it said I had 22% body fat and today it said I had (sigh ) 30% body fat lol.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Also, does your scale "live" in one stationary place on a hard/flat surface, or do you need to bring it out to use it? Moving it every time or using a scale that is not on a hard/flat surface introduces inaccuracy.

Fluctuations are normal, but seeing 11-pound fluctuations is less normal -- it suggests you have introduced some kind of user error into the process.

I've gone up by 10 or so pounds over a weekend with Friday pizza (moderate amount) and Saturday Sushi. Ate at roughly maintenance that weekend, but an overall 5000 calorie deficit total for that week. "Gained" 10 pounds. "Lost" 12 pounds later that next week.

Wasn't necessarily a normal weekend, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility. Add in a new exercise program and retain a little more...

That was probably water weight....if you increase carbs they will lead to higher water retention.....a few days later you loose the water weight
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    OP, I just want to give you a virtual hug and remind you to be kind to yourself. Sure, tighten up your logging -- check your intake with a food scale (yes, pre-bottled shakes included, because labels are often inaccurate). But aside from that, just be nice to yourself. Remember that food is fuel and pleasure. Let yourself have different meals or solid food at breakfast every once in a while. Remind yourself that your worth as a person isn't in your weight. It's in your heart and mind, and from the gentle patience of your replies here I'd bet you have a good mind and a sweet heart. Weight loss isn't a punishment and the process shouldn't terrify or constrict you this much.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

I hear the digital ones can have several issues and factors that cause issues but I like that it has water, body fat measurements o nit. now..idk how accurate that is. One day it said I had 22% body fat and today it said I had (sigh ) 30% body fat lol.

My understanding is that they are not accurate at all. I wouldn't give those numbers a second thought.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    1) Pick one scale and stick to it. "Man with one watch knows what time it is, man with two watches is never sure".

2) The food scale is always a good idea, but....

3) ...You didn't gain 6-10 pounds of fat in three days. Not unless you ate tens of thousands of calories above your TDEE, and I very strongly doubt you erred by that much in your food measurements, scale or no scale.

4) What you're seeing is perfectly normal fluctuations. Water/glycogen retention from excess sodium, change in exercise routine, extra stress, etc., or from residual food in your bowels that hasn't cleared yet. If you weigh daily, it will be very rare that you'll weigh the exact same on consecutive days. There will almost always be some fluctuation up or down. So......

5) ...Weigh at the same time, same conditions, same clothing, etc. on the same scale every day, and use a trending app such as Happy Scale (iOS), Libra (Android) or trendweight.com (web) to chart your weight trend. Ignore daily fluctuations and look at what your overall trend is doing.

6) Ignore the water % / bodyfat % readings on your digital scale. They're not accurate and they're going to bounce around from day to day. You don't gain or lose 8% bodyfat within a few days.

7) Have some patience. You didn't gain all the weight in one week/month, you're not going to lose it all in one week/month.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Well, I thought I was doing decently at it until the odd weight gain and so far while a lot has helped here I do have plenty people doubting my intake which is making me feel like I have to somehow eat less than I am.

Sometimes people will skim a thread and fall back on MFP stock answers and one of the more common is to get a scale because you are eating more than you think. To be fair, that does seem like the solution a fair amount of the time.

I don't think you are eating enough when you factor in your all liquid days and there is no way you mistook 8 oz of chicken for the truckload you would have had to eat to gain 12 lbs in a short amount of time.

The food scale provides peace of mind when the human scale is playing the water game with your emotions. I know it sounds like we all have stock in the scale companies (I have stock in Amazon, buy it from there) but it does help.

• rutzsa
    rutzsa Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My suggestion.....start with the easiest. If the scale is jumping that much over three days...change the batteries.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I always weigh myself on the gym scale only - but a couple of weeks ago I just had to jump onto another scale - and I was 3 or 4 kg up! A very depressing feeling...
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Congrats, you broke science!

Just kidding.

So, your weight literally went up over 10 lbs in 2 days? If that's true, please go see a doctor.

If it fluctuated like that over a slightly longer space of time, like a week or two, then it's probably within the range of normal fluctuations.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

1. Are you weighing everything you eat?
    2. How long have you been at this?
    3.Just pick one scale and use/trust it.

1. Yes. I usually like shakes for this reason because I use the scanner. But even for rice and chicken, I measure it. There is no way I am somehow mismeasuring what I eat by about 800 calories if by the time it is lunch time I have only consumed about 300 for the day. Half a cup of rice usually, 8oz chicken, one serving size of black beans.

So NO, you're not weighing anything.

3. Started April 24, 2018 till now.

And it's been less than 1 month.

Trust the process, give the process time to work.
    3. I should try that I guess. I started with analog. GF suggested a digital but that one just depressed me lol

The number doesn't matter, the trend matters. As long as the scale is consistently showing the same reading from measurement to measurement then just pick one and go.

OTOH, if you step on 3 times and get 3 different numbers that are more than about 1% different, then you've got a scale problem.

Okay please elaborate then on weighing food. I am measuring it so I make sure I am not overeating. What else should I be doing? I know it's well over my calorie salary for the day. I hardly even eat up to it unless weekends.

Here's why you should weigh all solids on a food scale and put liquids (only) in a measuring cup. Last night, I bought some frozen crinkle-cut fries at the grocery store. The serving was 84 grams/3 oz (approximately 23 pieces). You know how many "pieces" made up the 84 grams? SIX!!!!! Six stinkin' fries. So, if I had "counted," the approximation would actually have been 4 servings and I would have consumed 390 calories more than I thought. The fries varied, but were all roughly the same size--it's not like I picked six giant ones out of the bag.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    My stats:

Male,5'4(Yeah I am short lol). I started my diet weighing 188. I am now 175-180. But there is the problem.

I have a calorie limit of 1540 a day. I hardly ever hit it. I drink a shake in the morning (Protein) and one for lunch. Eat chicken, rice, black beans for dinner.

I was losing weight rapidly (Who knows maybe just water weight) but now? I don't even like weighing my self. One day I was at 169..next day 175 then 181. I am losing motivation here..I am not exercising much (I only play knockout league on the PlayStation virtual reality).

What is going on? It's depressing to somehow while hardly eating much gain 10 pounds and I am drinking plenty of water. My digital scale seems to say I weigh much more than my analog one does. Analog says 175 most days while the digital just *kitten* on my day lol. usually 6-7 pounds heavily there.

My gf (of course) says I looks thinner but not seeing it. Scales don't lie.

When you have large weight shifts in a short amount of time it is likely due to fluid shifts.

The key is to stay hydrated and your electrolytes like sodium at a sane healthy level.

I would suggest a visit to your dr to check on your electrolyte levels and rule out things that could account for your weight shifting from day to day.
  • 1houndgal
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »
    My stats:

Male,5'4(Yeah I am short lol). I started my diet weighing 188. I am now 175-180. But there is the problem.

I have a calorie limit of 1540 a day. I hardly ever hit it. I drink a shake in the morning (Protein) and one for lunch. Eat chicken, rice, black beans for dinner.

I was losing weight rapidly (Who knows maybe just water weight) but now? I don't even like weighing my self. One day I was at 169..next day 175 then 181. I am losing motivation here..I am not exercising much (I only play knockout league on the PlayStation virtual reality).

What is going on? It's depressing to somehow while hardly eating much gain 10 pounds and I am drinking plenty of water. My digital scale seems to say I weigh much more than my analog one does. Analog says 175 most days while the digital just *kitten* on my day lol. usually 6-7 pounds heavily there.

When you have large weight shifts in a short amount of time it is likely due to fluid shifts.

The key is to stay hydrated and your electrolytes like sodium at a sane healthy level.

I would suggest a visit to your dr to check on your electrolyte levels and rule out things that could account for your weight shifting from day to day.

Also consider opening up your diary for folks to check out and come up with tips, suggestions etc.
  • 1houndgal
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »
    My stats:

Constipation can cause an increase in weight also.