I am somehow gaining weight on a calorie deficit..

Options

Replies

• Dee_D33
    Dee_D33 Posts: 106 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    awesometin wrote: »
    Dee_D33 wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    It's probably been said already (didn't bother reading the entire thread) but, if you are gaining weight, you are NOT in a calorie deficit.

You just need to accept CICO to understand that and the solution is simply to eat less and/or exercise more.

So below 1500 (some days just drink 3 shakes and it's about 500 calories) but still not in a calorie deficit? Hmm ok.

“Some days” and if you go over on other days because you’re not weighing your food and therefore not properly measuring your intake then you could very well be in a calorie surplus at the end of the week. The fact of the matter is that is is physiologically impossible to gain weight in a deficit.

By 'some days' I was referring to somedays I only do about 500 calories. Not that I go over. I make sure I don't. But okay I guess since I am not weighing my food and the nutrition value on it I guess is also incorrect so my shakes aren't 100 and 160 (I switch between two premade ones) ? I appreciate the added input but I think you're just suggesting here that I am going well over my calorie limit set by the app just because I didn't weigh my one constant meal for dinner. I doubt the last meal like others saw in this thread, chicken (boiled) rice and black beans (sometimes I don't add black beans) is over 1240 calories when I at-least measure it by cup sizes with a measuring cup. I can be a little over or under but not over 1000 off.

Sorry if I found annoyed there. Maybe I just jumped the gun too earlier on the weight gain because I somehow added 12 pounds in 3 days which sounds difficult to do with what I am eating..

I’m well aware that’s what you were referring to. What I was saying was that those days where you only eat 500 calories doesn’t say much because you could very well be eating in a surplus on other days without knowing. Your weekly deficit is arguably more important than day to day since you can go over some days and make up for it on another day and vise versa. If you’re steadily gaining, you’re not in a deficit, despite those “some days” where you’ve only eaten two prepackaged shakes.

Edited to add that whatever you gained in three days wasn’t fat as that would be extremely difficult even if you were trying. I didn’t read all of the responses to know that. I wouldn’t stress it.
  • awesometin
    awesometin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's probably been said already (didn't bother reading the entire thread) but, if you are gaining weight, you are NOT in a calorie deficit.

You just need to accept CICO to understand that and the solution is simply to eat less and/or exercise more.

So below 1500 (some days just drink 3 shakes and it's about 500 calories) but still not in a calorie deficit? Hmm ok.

“Some days” and if you go over on other days because you’re not weighing your food and therefore not properly measuring your intake then you could very well be in a calorie surplus at the end of the week. The fact of the matter is that is is physiologically impossible to gain weight in a deficit.

By 'some days' I was referring to somedays I only do about 500 calories. Not that I go over. I make sure I don't. But okay I guess since I am not weighing my food and the nutrition value on it I guess is also incorrect so my shakes aren't 100 and 160 (I switch between two premade ones) ? I appreciate the added input but I think you're just suggesting here that I am going well over my calorie limit set by the app just because I didn't weigh my one constant meal for dinner. I doubt the last meal like others saw in this thread, chicken (boiled) rice and black beans (sometimes I don't add black beans) is over 1240 calories when I at-least measure it by cup sizes with a measuring cup. I can be a little over or under but not over 1000 off.

Sorry if I found annoyed there. Maybe I just jumped the gun too earlier on the weight gain because I somehow added 12 pounds in 3 days which sounds difficult to do with what I am eating..

I’m well aware that’s what you were referring to. What I was saying was that those days where you only eat 500 calories doesn’t say much because you could very well be eating in a surplus on other days without knowing. Your weekly deficit is arguably more important than day to day since you can go over some days and make up for it on another day and vise versa. If you’re steadily gaining, you’re not in a deficit, despite those “some days” where you’ve only eaten two prepackaged shakes.

Okay to elaborate more,

My 500ish days are just days when I do 3 shakes. The other days 2 shakes and just chicken with rice and black beans some days as my dinner (Some nights I skip on black beans). Your statement would be true for my situation if every day I was eating different stuff. Believe it or not..my diet is plain and boring. Mt steadily gaining is based off somehow going from 169-181 on the digital scale I bought these past 3 days. So I guess I ate several thousands of calories in those 3 days while having just my shakes and so far this week just one chicken meal on Monday? Doubtful. Maybe I shouldn't have worded by the title that way. I was just wondering what other than food can cause the back and forth on weight gain which others answered. Some day I am not eating enough and others are suggesting I am eating too much. Two shakes and chicken meal.
  • awesometin
    Options
    Can this thread be locked? I got plenty of help already.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    OP, what premade shakes are you drinking that are 100 and 160 calories? I know premier protein is around 160, but you said you drink slimfast and I know those are usually a lot more than 100 calories!
  • awesometin
    Options
    OP, what premade shakes are you drinking that are 100 and 160 calories? I know premier protein is around 160, but you said you drink slimfast and I know those are usually a lot more than 100 calories!

I misspoke on the slimfast. I did a while ago. Lately just drinking Advant Edge Carb control. 100 calories. Some days I do Premier protein which is 160 (Well according to what everything online says about itbut I am being told it may not be accurate in this thread).
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

I believe you can contact a mod (check the technical support forum) and they will lock/delete it for you. Take good care of yourself :)
  • try2again
    Options

Edited to add that whatever you gained in three days wasn’t fat as that would be extremely difficult even if you were trying. I didn’t read all of the responses to know that. I wouldn’t stress it.

Exactly. A lot of piling on for an issue that likely doesn't even exist. Good to at least skim the discussion.
  • awesometin
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

It is actually interesting how many of these threads I have seen. A person eating practically no variety, under-eating some days, saying they have little to no appetite, and not accepting "skinnier" comments from other sources either being stuck for long periods of times or showing scale gains. It is the reason there are the occasional threads that suggest that you have to eat more to lose weight which are nonsense when it comes to losing fat.

It does lend credibility to the theory that the tighter wound you are (stressed) the more you will hold on to water. It could also suggest that the lack of variety may be a contributing factor nutritionally.

You can't be scared of calories.
    You can't be scared of food.
    You can't be scared of eating.
    You can't (over)react to short term scale info
    You need a variety.
    You need to enjoy what you eat.
    You need to patient.
    You need to relax.

Well, I thought I was doing decently at it until the odd weight gain and so far while a lot has helped here I do have plenty people doubting my intake which is making me feel like I have to somehow eat less than I am.
  • ellie7187
    ellie7187 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Please don’t actually only consume 500 calories a day. On any day.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

You can flag/report and request that it be locked.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options

Just a thought - are any of those canned shakes showing they contain more than one serving?
  • awesometin
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »

Just a thought - are any of those canned shakes showing they contain more than one serving?

One shake is one serving. Not a can though. It's 11oz
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    OP, didn't you mention the digital scale is reading you heavier compared to your other scale? Is the 169 weight on the digital or other scale? I can say from experience, my digital scale weighed me 14# heavier than my other scale.

I can't remember what the other type of scale is called, sorry. Analog? Spring? Old people problems!
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,748 Member
    Options

1. Are you weighing everything you eat?
    2. How long have you been at this?
    3.Just pick one scale and use/trust it.

1. Yes. I usually like shakes for this reason because I use the scanner. But even for rice and chicken, I measure it. There is no way I am somehow mismeasuring what I eat by about 800 calories if by the time it is lunch time I have only consumed about 300 for the day. Half a cup of rice usually, 8oz chicken, one serving size of black beans.

So NO, you're not weighing anything.

3. Started April 24, 2018 till now.

And it's been less than 1 month.

Trust the process, give the process time to work.
    3. I should try that I guess. I started with analog. GF suggested a digital but that one just depressed me lol

The number doesn't matter, the trend matters. As long as the scale is consistently showing the same reading from measurement to measurement then just pick one and go.

OTOH, if you step on 3 times and get 3 different numbers that are more than about 1% different, then you've got a scale problem.

Okay please elaborate then on weighing food. I am measuring it so I make sure I am not overeating. What else should I be doing? I know it's well over my calorie salary for the day. I hardly even eat up to it unless weekends.

Food scale, Walmart/target/amazon $10, weigh everything.

Just for funsies, compare what the package says a 1/2 cup weighs, and what your measured half cup weighs.

I was so surprised when I bought a scale and tried this. I was eating probably 25-30% more calories than I thought I was.
  • try2again
    edited June 2018
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    OP, didn't you mention the digital scale is reading you heavier compared to your other scale? Is the 169 weight on the digital or other scale? I can say from experience, my digital scale weighed me 14# heavier than my other scale.

I can't remember what the other type of scale is called, sorry. Analog? Spring? Old people problems!

Good point. I got a new digital scale several months into the weight loss process and it read 12 lbs higher than the old one. Which one was correct? Didn't matter, because it didn't change the fact that I had lost 30 lbs (though admittedly a bummer mentally). All that matters is the trend over time on one scale.