Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Jrodasff wrote: »
    cln288 wrote: »
    Thinking about trying the keto diet. I am trying to cut just a few pounds for a summer trip that I am taking with a couple of my friends. I have heard that keto is super easy to do after the initial two days. Please advise on how long it took for you to lose X number of pounds and to see the results or how long it took to get over the "keto flu" or tips on how to manage or good food to eat. Just any tips. Wanting to start soon! <3

Thanks for your help in advance.

xx

For whatever reason there are people on here who constantly go out of their way to bash the keto diet. I don’t go on other forms talking trash on how people lose weight but to each his own. I personally love the ketogenic diet and unlike some of the responses, there is science that backs fat loss while in ketosis. There is no other form of eating that gets you into this state. That is what separates it from all others. Everyone will have different results and find it to be “easy or hard” depending on the individual. I was at a lull for about 2 straight months at 211lbs while counting calories on MFP. I reintroduce keto back into my diet and am now at 204 in a month and a half. Unlike other diets, there are no cheat days. Cheat days kick you out of ketosis and you have to work your way back to it. For me personally I find it hard at times to stay away from certain carbs but I balance it out by eating foods that are preferred like avocados, ribeye steaks, eggs, salami etc. I find having friends on here who also keto with open diaries a good way to find new recipes and items to eat. There is a simple book to read that’s on amazon called https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Ketogenic-Diet-Beginners-Essential/dp/1623158087/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529034761&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=keto+diet&psc=1
    It’s full of great info as well as a ton of recipes.

I agree. Most medical claims here are made by armchair dieticians. You can really tell who does and does not know much about ketones, carbs and fat. There is no "protein limiting" on the WOE. This is not restrictive in terms of the variety of foods you can eat. It is by definition though, very low in carbs which means most of the stuff in a pre-keto pantry has to be tossed.

And please stop thanking people "in advance". How do you realistically do that? Thank someone *after* they have helped, not before. If one insists on following this type of faux pas, then a simple "Thank you" is all you need. *Or* wait until after people have helped to thank them.

Could you please explain how the diet is not restrictive in terms of food variety, yet most of your pre-keto pantry needs to be tossed?

The reason most people have no long term success on this diet is because it is too restrictive. If you like foods that are high fat and low carb then this is genuinely a diet where long term success (I am talking maintenance with this way of eating) is achievable. If you know you can not cope without all fruits and vegetables (rather than a select few), or without grains then maybe it is not even worth starting because the chances of you adhering to it for any period of time in very low until there is a medical reason for it.

I am not bagging keto. I have seen and read great success stories. I will bag the woo that comes with some that think keto is some sort of magic or the only way of achieving goals because I believe everyone needs to know that there is no one diet that is best for everyone, just one diet that is best for you.

Most diets do not have long term success. I have never seem any evidence that keto is any worse. I've actually seen some that shows keto is more sustainable, TBH.

There is no need to limit fruits and veggies to a select few, but one must be prepared to limit the amount of those foods that they eat.

If you prefer sugary tropical fruit like bananas or mangoes, or like to eat dried fruits like raisins and dates, you won't be able to eat a lot of it... but you can do that if you wish. If you eat 50g of carbs a day, and choose to do that with two bananas, that a personal choice. If one prefers more variety and volume, you'll need more low glycemic load food choices.

Here are some 20 and 50g carb choices.

20g_carbs.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&w=800&h=532&fit=crop

20g_carbs_good-1.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&w=800&h=532&fit=crop

50g_carbs-3.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&w=800&h=532&fit=crop

50g_carbs_good.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&w=800&h=532&fit=crop
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/20-50-how-much

See that 50 carb plate of vegetables and the 20 grams one? Add them together and that would be my daily vegetable consumption. Add on top of that a banana and some strawberries and I am already pushing 100 grams of carbs. I also love things like carrots, sweet potato..... As I said keto is not for me because it limits my fruit and vegetable consumption too much and is not sustainable.

Sounds fine.
  • mandystar
    mandystar Posts: 271 Member
    I did it for a year after I had my youngest son. I dropped a ton of weight, however, a large part of it was normal post pregnancy weight loss. I wont do it again for a number of reasons. I enjoy variety in my diet, and I felt very restricted by keto. No fruit besides a few berries?!?! I can't. No yogurt?!?! I literally can't. Also, this is Tmi, but it made me very constipated.
  • cln288
    cln288 Posts: 18 Member
    Wow.. Thank you all for the info! I know that it's primarily a calorie deficit and that all diets are going to have that one component in common. This was to follow it and see how I like it.

I should have stated that I tried to stay away from carbs to begin with for a while now, but just not as restrictive as the 20g or less. I am currently 5' 5 and weigh 121 pounds. I'm just trying to lose some water weight really for this trip.

Also, I have been on this diet for about 4 days now. I have had the major headache, felt dizzy, and super fatigued. But I'm starting to feel better! I have lost a couple pounds of water weight. And it's definitely encouraging me to make this a lifestyle thing where I will cycle in and out of ketosis. But once again, this was for a trip and I just wanted to look a bit less bloated (which it has definitely reduced). Thanks to all!
  • cln288
    cln288 Posts: 18 Member
    The "keto-flu" is actually an entirely preventable electrolyte imbalance. If you replace the electrolytes that you lose with early water weight you can skip the symptoms of fatigue, headache, nausea, brain fog, moodiness, bm issues, and muscle weakness, pain or spasms.

Most early keto'ers need 3000 to 5000 mg of sodium a day. There's 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt.

I found cravings were gone within a week, and it became easy fairly soon after that. I didn't change my food too much though. I just dropped sugars and refined carbs (baking) first. Then I cut back on fruits and starchy veggies. Instead of a steak with potato and a veggie, I dropped the potato. My spaghetti with meat sauce became a lot of sauce on a small amount of spaghetti squash. I stopped putting my stirfries on rice. Stuff like that.

Good luck.

So I ended up getting the "keto flu", but I got the MIO drops to help with the electrolytes.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    edited June 2018
    So I ended up getting the "keto flu", but I got the MIO drops to help with the electrolytes.

Emergen-C also makes a sugar-free Electrolyte Replenisher. Just like their other stuff, you just add a packet to a glass of water.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I agree with the above, dropping some water weight seems pretty futile before a vacation unless you have a photo shoot or something as soon as you arrive. But if you are travelling by plane, plus all the extra food, alcohol...unless you are planning on following keto the entire trip, the bloat will come back big time as soon as you introduce carbs again, maybe even more than if you didn't restrict them in the first place. Of course it's up to you what you want to do.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Wow.. Thank you all for the info! I know that it's primarily a calorie deficit and that all diets are going to have that one component in common. This was to follow it and see how I like it.

I should have stated that I tried to stay away from carbs to begin with for a while now, but just not as restrictive as the 20g or less. I am currently 5' 5 and weigh 121 pounds. I'm just trying to lose some water weight really for this trip.

Also, I have been on this diet for about 4 days now. I have had the major headache, felt dizzy, and super fatigued. But I'm starting to feel better! I have lost a couple pounds of water weight. And it's definitely encouraging me to make this a lifestyle thing where I will cycle in and out of ketosis. But once again, this was for a trip and I just wanted to look a bit less bloated (which it has definitely reduced). Thanks to all!

why would you want to cycle in and out of ketosis? what is the point of that?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    The "keto-flu" is actually an entirely preventable electrolyte imbalance. If you replace the electrolytes that you lose with early water weight you can skip the symptoms of fatigue, headache, nausea, brain fog, moodiness, bm issues, and muscle weakness, pain or spasms.

Most early keto'ers need 3000 to 5000 mg of sodium a day. There's 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt.

I found cravings were gone within a week, and it became easy fairly soon after that. I didn't change my food too much though. I just dropped sugars and refined carbs (baking) first. Then I cut back on fruits and starchy veggies. Instead of a steak with potato and a veggie, I dropped the potato. My spaghetti with meat sauce became a lot of sauce on a small amount of spaghetti squash. I stopped putting my stirfries on rice. Stuff like that.

Good luck.

Add a fair bit of salt, and it should do the trick in avoiding ket flu. :)
This discussion has been closed.