Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    cln288 wrote: »
    Thinking about trying the keto diet. I am trying to cut just a few pounds for a summer trip that I am taking with a couple of my friends. I have heard that keto is super easy to do after the initial two days. Please advise on how long it took for you to lose X number of pounds and to see the results or how long it took to get over the "keto flu" or tips on how to manage or good food to eat. Just any tips. Wanting to start soon! <3

Thanks for your help in advance.

xx

"Easy" would be highly subjective and individual. Personally, I wouldn't find limiting carbohydrates to next to nothing very easy, nor would I find eating copious amounts of dietary fat easy or limiting protein easy.

I suppose it's easy for some who gravitate towards eating a ton of fat and have little interest in fruits and vegetables and other quality carbohydrates in more than the tiniest amounts.

Also keep in mind that initial losses on the scale are largely water and glycogen depletion...if you're planning on drinking alcohol on your trip, be prepared to put back on water weight and bloat.

Keto does not eliminate vegetables or even fruits. Green leafy vegetables and high fiber vegetables are encouraged, and low-glycemic fruits such as berries are absolutely fine to consume. Also, although the fat you consume is higher, it's not really an obscene amount if you are doing it correctly. Adding avocado and olive oil to your diet is not unhealthy, and the fat is what helps keep you satiated. It's not like you are sitting there eating Crisco by the spoonful.

I didn't say that it eliminated fruits and vegetables...but if you're limited to 20g carbs, you are very much restricting those things to tiny amounts...which is what I said...reading comprehension is an invaluable thing.

Most people I know doing keto are having about 70% dietary fat...IMO, that's an obscene amount of fat...I couldn't do it.

Fat does not personally satiate me.

Maybe not eating Crisco by the spoonful, but I know a lot of keto folks dumping Tbsps of coconut oil in their coffee which is just gross.

I'm not bashing the diet...I was simply stating why I couldn't personally do it due to the factors I mentioned...the foul breath and body odor would be another issue for me...but that's just me.

I had the bad breath and body odor when I did it. and it was AWFUL
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I lost 61 lbs over six months doing it, along with an hour of jogging every other day. Ketosis does naturally suppress your appetite, there were days I'd have to force myself to eat more than 1,300 calories. (I'm a 6'3 man).

I've kept the weight off, and I think it was a great tool to get the job done.

it doesnt suppress everyones appetite. it sure as heck didnt mine when I did it. I am 5'6 1/2 and I eat more than 1300 calories. I hope you were eating more than 1500 for your height and activity. 1300 would be too low.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Thinking about trying the keto diet. I am trying to cut just a few pounds for a summer trip that I am taking with a couple of my friends. I have heard that keto is super easy to do after the initial two days. Please advise on how long it took for you to lose X number of pounds and to see the results or how long it took to get over the "keto flu" or tips on how to manage or good food to eat. Just any tips. Wanting to start soon! <3

xx

"Easy" would be highly subjective and individual. Personally, I wouldn't find limiting carbohydrates to next to nothing very easy, nor would I find eating copious amounts of dietary fat easy or limiting protein easy.

I suppose it's easy for some who gravitate towards eating a ton of fat and have little interest in fruits and vegetables and other quality carbohydrates in more than the tiniest amounts.

Also keep in mind that initial losses on the scale are largely water and glycogen depletion...if you're planning on drinking alcohol on your trip, be prepared to put back on water weight and bloat.

Keto does not eliminate vegetables or even fruits. Green leafy vegetables and high fiber vegetables are encouraged, and low-glycemic fruits such as berries are absolutely fine to consume. Also, although the fat you consume is higher, it's not really an obscene amount if you are doing it correctly. Adding avocado and olive oil to your diet is not unhealthy, and the fat is what helps keep you satiated. It's not like you are sitting there eating Crisco by the spoonful.

I didn't say that it eliminated fruits and vegetables...but if you're limited to 20g carbs, you are very much restricting those things to tiny amounts...which is what I said...reading comprehension is an invaluable thing.

Most people I know doing keto are having about 70% dietary fat...IMO, that's an obscene amount of fat...I couldn't do it.

Maybe not eating Crisco by the spoonful, but I know a lot of keto folks dumping Tbsps of coconut oil in their coffee which is just gross.

I'm not bashing the diet...I was simply stating why I couldn't personally do it due to the factors I mentioned...the foul breath and body odor would be another issue for me...but that's just me.

We had a guy at work who's done keto on and off for about the last 5 years. He keeps losing and gaining the same 50 Lbs. It would suck every time he went back to keto because his breath was so foul and his BO was incredible even with deodorant...and it doesn't smell like regular BO...more like he crapped his pants or something.

I used to be his supervisor, so I had to field all of the complaints from other employees...never did really figure out how to address it.

Yeah, that would be a managerial minefield.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

xx

We had a guy at work who's done keto on and off for about the last 5 years. He keeps losing and gaining the same 50 Lbs. It would suck every time he went back to keto because his breath was so foul and his BO was incredible even with deodorant...and it doesn't smell like regular BO...more like he crapped his pants or something.

I used to be his supervisor, so I had to field all of the complaints from other employees...never did really figure out how to address it.

You could leave anonymous gift on his desk, like a Costco sized package of sugar free mints B)

Or a hazmat suit. o:)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

xx

You could leave anonymous gift on his desk, like a Costco sized package of sugar free mints B)

Or a hazmat suit. o:)

Awesome!
  • Billbegood
    Billbegood Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Has anyone used the ketosis cookbook? I have heard some seriously mixed reviews about it. Some say that its the best thing ever while others say its completely garbage. simplefitnessproject.com/reviews/ketosis-cookbook/nb In this review the user claimed that he lost some serious weight following this cookbook. However I am a bit skeptical. I would love to hear some opinions :) Thanks
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Billbegood wrote: »
    Has anyone used the ketosis cookbook? I have heard some seriously mixed reviews about it. Some say that its the best thing ever while others say its completely garbage. simplefitnessproject.com/reviews/ketosis-cookbook/nb In this review the user claimed that he lost some serious weight following this cookbook. However I am a bit skeptical. I would love to hear some opinions :) Thanks

Keto is exactly like any other diet - if you consume less calories than you expend over time, you'll lose weight; if you consume more calories than you expend over time, you'll gain weight. So the meals in any cookbook could cause you to lose, gain or maintain, depending on your calorie intake levels.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options

'We had a guy at work who's done keto on and off for about the last 5 years. He keeps losing and gaining the same 50 Lbs. It would suck every time he went back to keto because his breath was so foul and his BO was incredible even with deodorant...and it doesn't smell like regular BO...more like he crapped his pants or something.'

doctor-dog-stool-sample1.png.
This discussion has been closed.