KETO DIET: Reviews and Tips

Options

Replies

• Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm not bashing the diet...I was simply stating why I couldn't personally do it due to the factors I mentioned...the foul breath and body odor would be another issue for me...but that's just me.

Exactly, wasn't the OP asking for reviews?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    cln288 wrote: »
    Thinking about trying the keto diet. I am trying to cut just a few pounds for a summer trip that I am taking with a couple of my friends. I have heard that keto is super easy to do after the initial two days. Please advise on how long it took for you to lose X number of pounds and to see the results or how long it took to get over the "keto flu" or tips on how to manage or good food to eat. Just any tips. Wanting to start soon! <3

Thanks for your help in advance.

xx

"Easy" would be highly subjective and individual. Personally, I wouldn't find limiting carbohydrates to next to nothing very easy, nor would I find eating copious amounts of dietary fat easy or limiting protein easy.

I suppose it's easy for some who gravitate towards eating a ton of fat and have little interest in fruits and vegetables and other quality carbohydrates in more than the tiniest amounts.

Also keep in mind that initial losses on the scale are largely water and glycogen depletion...if you're planning on drinking alcohol on your trip, be prepared to put back on water weight and bloat.

This is a very uneducated opinion about Keto. I eat plenty of vegetables and :::gasp::: even some fruit. They aren't tiny amounts, often my lunch is a huge plate of salad with protein and then a homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette. Dinner is often grilled meat and a large side of veggies cooked in healthy fat. Honestly, the only thing I eat copious amounts of are leafy green veggies because I love them. And sometimes, I want a potato, so I eat a potato. Yes, initial weight lost is often water weight, but that is common with most any diet, and not exclusive to Keto.

And for the record, I never had the Keto Flu. I did my research before starting and simply upped my electrolyte consumption and when I did have that initial water weight loss, I felt perfectly fine.

Yeah, nah...

One medium apple is 25g of carbohydrate...boom...you've just gone over the 20 measly grams of carbohydrates that most keto dieters are doing. Saying that you don't have to restrict fruits and veg is a *kitten* premise.

Most of my carbohydrates come from fruits and veg and some oats and legumes...I'm well over keto limits with my healthy carbohydrates.

Most of the people that I know that are doing keto or have been doing it for awhile use net carbs vs total carbs. For example, 100g of spinich has 3.6g of carbs of which 2.2g are fiber so you only have a net of 1.4g carbs for that 100g serving of spinach. So with the leafy green veggies like spinach, broccoli and such, you can eat a ton of them and not go over the 20g limit.

Also, there are a lot of people who can remain in ketosis consuming as high as 50-60g of carbs, depending on activity levels.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    cln288 wrote: »
    Thinking about trying the keto diet. I am trying to cut just a few pounds for a summer trip that I am taking with a couple of my friends. I have heard that keto is super easy to do after the initial two days. Please advise on how long it took for you to lose X number of pounds and to see the results or how long it took to get over the "keto flu" or tips on how to manage or good food to eat. Just any tips. Wanting to start soon! <3

Thanks for your help in advance.

xx

"Easy" would be highly subjective and individual. Personally, I wouldn't find limiting carbohydrates to next to nothing very easy, nor would I find eating copious amounts of dietary fat easy or limiting protein easy.

I suppose it's easy for some who gravitate towards eating a ton of fat and have little interest in fruits and vegetables and other quality carbohydrates in more than the tiniest amounts.

Also keep in mind that initial losses on the scale are largely water and glycogen depletion...if you're planning on drinking alcohol on your trip, be prepared to put back on water weight and bloat.

This is a very uneducated opinion about Keto. I eat plenty of vegetables and :::gasp::: even some fruit. They aren't tiny amounts, often my lunch is a huge plate of salad with protein and then a homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette. Dinner is often grilled meat and a large side of veggies cooked in healthy fat. Honestly, the only thing I eat copious amounts of are leafy green veggies because I love them. And sometimes, I want a potato, so I eat a potato. Yes, initial weight lost is often water weight, but that is common with most any diet, and not exclusive to Keto.

And for the record, I never had the Keto Flu. I did my research before starting and simply upped my electrolyte consumption and when I did have that initial water weight loss, I felt perfectly fine.

Yeah, nah...

One medium apple is 25g of carbohydrate...boom...you've just gone over the 20 measly grams of carbohydrates that most keto dieters are doing. Saying that you don't have to restrict fruits and veg is a *kitten* premise.

Most of my carbohydrates come from fruits and veg and some oats and legumes...I'm well over keto limits with my healthy carbohydrates.

Most of the people that I know that are doing keto or have been doing it for awhile use net carbs vs total carbs. For example, 100g of spinich has 3.6g of carbs of which 2.2g are fiber so you only have a net of 1.4g carbs for that 100g serving of spinach. So with the leafy green veggies like spinach, broccoli and such, you can eat a ton of them and not go over the 20g limit.

Also, there are a lot of people who can remain in ketosis consuming as high as 50-60g of carbs, depending on activity levels.

Sure...you can eat a lot of greens and whatnot if that's what you're into. I like a wide variety of vegetables and fruit. If I subtract the fiber from the apple it comes out to 20.6 grams...still at the 20g limit that most people here seem to set for themselves.

I'm well aware that some people can do keto at 50-60g...it's still piddly...yeah, I can have 2 pieces of fruit and I'm done for the day.

My point is that it is disingenuous to say that you don't have to limit fruits and veg...even if you're eating a bunch of greens and broccoli, you're still limiting a whole host of other things that are perfectly healthy for you.

I don't care if people do keto or not...the claim that you don't have to limit fruits and vegetables is disingenuous. I typically have 6-8 servings of a variety of veg and 2-3 servings of fruit per day...no way is that going to fly with keto.
This discussion has been closed.