What's with the diet shaming?

Options

Replies

• Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I think not going into specifics is key. I’m very lucky, because I’m at home every day, and because it’s winter, I hardly see anyone. I’ll probably run into people in spring, which means I can just put my head down and get on with it in the meantime. I don’t mention anything I’m doing with weight loss or fitness on any social media. I only plan to address what I’m doing if asked, and it’s because of the types of opinions op has mentioned.

When I am asked, I’m just going to say, ‘good old fashioned hard work!’ If pressed further, I will add, ‘exercise and eating well.’
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I recently restarted my quest to lose weight, and after almost 2 months, I am down about 16 pounds. In the past, I've tried traditional diets and less popular diets, and I finally found one that's working for me (i.e. I'm losing weight and pretty easily able to stick to it.) I am proud of myself. Some have commented on my jeans fitting more loosely, and it feels good. With that loss, a few have asked how I'm doing it, so I tell them. Diet and exercise, of course. But then when I tell them the diet, 90% of people tell me I should be doing this, instead of that, and I'm not doing it right, etc., etc.

It feels like if I were to tell 147 people about my diet, I would get 147 different opinions on what I should be doing instead. And each of those 147 people is somehow an all-knowing nutrition expert who knows THE ONLY healthy way to lose weight, be it low-carb, low-cal, IF, vegan, gluten-free, etc.

Why can't people just say, "Keep up the good work!" and keep their opinions to themselves anymore? I'm not looking for an answer to this question. I guess I'm just looking to vent and commiserate with anyone else who is experiencing the same.

Sadly that’s just what people are like!

Well done on the lose. Oh and ‘keep up the good work’ :wink:
  • rosileem
    rosileem Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you tell 0 people about your diet, you will get 0 opinions. If people ask me how I lost weight, I am purposely vague and will sometimes just refer them to MFP.

LOL same- or I say I haven’t lost it, it’s just moved around :D

Everyone will have a perspective on how things “should” be. If you find what works (and it’s healthy and safe) have at it!

Like I wish I was into Paleo (because meat and veggies, hello?!) but I find too many things I enjoy and help sustain my appetite aren’t on the plan- so we do what works for us

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    I tell people I ate an egg salad sandwich out of a vending machine in a bathroom in an interstellar truck stop. Usually short circuits the conversation.

Did you contract space worms that jazzercized your muscles from the inside?

I play the holophoner now too.
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    AmberGlitterSparkles Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I tell people I ate an egg salad sandwich out of a vending machine in a bathroom in an interstellar truck stop. Usually short circuits the conversation.

Did you contract space worms that jazzercized your muscles from the inside?

I play the holophoner now too.
    but do you play it well? That’s the question.

• cathynicolette
    cathynicolette Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of time people who aren't succeeding don't want to see others succeed so they do anything they can to accomplish that. They tell you it won't work in hopes to make you give up. When you give up they can feel better about their own failures (Both to reach goals or take the first step to their goal). As long as you are getting the right amount of calories keep at it.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Please try not to be put out by what others say. You are doing what is right for yourself, providing for your own nutritional needs. The only thing which really matters after that, the object of your affections holds you as his. Many would give their eye teeth for that simple statement.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    People love gimmick diets. Hate the word---DIET!
    Just translates to temporary weight loss and gaining it all back then some.
    Eat less...move more....LOG what goes in. This is a lifetime commitment. People do not like to hear this....they want that gimmick ;)