Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Meat only diet

Options

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    It's not technically zero, but carnivores are pretty close. With the exception of minimal carbs to manage hypoglycemia (I'm a type 1 diabetic), I just eat meat. Though I'm still eating a bit of other meats, I'm working towards moving to just beef and wild game (as long as I kill it myself or participate in killing it). I just feel so much better when sticking with only beef.

As to recipes? It depends on what you get and how you want to cook it. I'm going to put a round roast in the crock pot with a small amount of water. For loose hamburger, I have a counter-top grill to cook it fairly quickly. I'll probably be cooking up some hamburger patties on the outside grill later this week and probably some sirloin tip steaks next week. I have a little bit of venison left from last season that will be split up between the dehydrator (jerky) and maybe a stove-top pan. I do have a few cans of tuna to finish off, and those will just get drained and eaten without cooking.

Pure curiosity. How long have you eaten this way? Seriously nothing else? I'm fascinated.

Most of last year, then took a 'break' and back to animals only again in Jan. I only gave up eggs and dairy within the past few weeks and I'm now working towards giving up those other meats besides beef. The exception is that I do drink coffee (black) and tea, but would like to give those up too. That won't happen as soon as getting to beef only. And I may add back other meats later or eggs or dairy. I do want to eventually get to beef only for at least 3-4 weeks and see how well it works before deciding what, if anything, to add back again.

This makes me think of The Beef and Dairy Network podcast. You'd love it, lol.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Considering how resource intensive beef production is, I think this is an extremely irresponsible way of eating.

There was a study published a couple years back that put a level of environmental damage of various activities. Having 1 additional child dwarfed everything else. Eating meat was pretty low. Since I have already chosen to have 0 kids, use energy efficient HVAC, and drive a hybrid, I'm far more "green" than most of the rest of the world in total. Having a kid is extremely irresponsible. Eating beef is a little blip of nothing when compared to the rest.

I don't know if this is the study you're referencing, but I got curious, began Googling, and found this support for it: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/12/want-to-fight-climate-change-have-fewer-children

One fewer child is the equivalent of saving 58.6 tons of C02 emissions per year. Switching to a plant-based diet is just .82.

I don't think this particular study takes water into account, but I am sure someone has done that math somewhere.

Yes, that is it - here is the graph from the study:

erlaa7541f1_online.jpg

The left-most green bar is having 1 fewer child and the last (furthest right) green bar is switching to a plant-based diet.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    One fewer child than what?!?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I think they thought it was a more positive way than saying "each child has this impact."
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

I'm guessing that's just their way of saying each child uses this much in resources over the course of their lifetime? I read a news article today about a man in Canada with 24 wives and 149 children. Let's all blame him for dooming the planet :tongue:

I saw that article, too. Crazy.