July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Miss a day, miss 115 posts!

I'll have to catch up later. Yesterday was a rest day and today is back to work. :neutral: I plan to have a run when I get home as waking up this morning was pretty difficult.

I had a total of 19 miles last week, which is almost 20 so I'm pleased.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I run five days a week T, W, TH, SA, SU, with SA being my long run day... I do weights three days a week M, W, F. I lift and run on W because W is typically my shortest run of the week. I follow the training plans in Bryon Powell's "Relentless Forward Progress: A Guide to Running Ultramarathons." By far the best book on long distance running I have read... covers training plans for 50k to 100 miles, nutrition, trail gear, recovery, speed work, tips on efficient trail running, etc. His website irunfar.com is excellent as well.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Here are my thoughts on waste and such at aid stations, and I know there are many runners who will disagree (which is a big reason why I asked):

The race I'm talking about will provide the cups and the aid station sponsors will provide trash cans / cleanup. I love to see cup-less races, but have only seen this once. At that particular race, it was a half-marathon (so no BQ's anyway) and they gave out refillable cups at packet pickup. The cups clipped onto a waistband and you squeezed it to open. You could opt out of this and save $2.00 off the race fee (I did this) and bring your own bottle. But there were no cups given out. You filled your own at the aid stations. They had quick-pour spouts (seriously, these would fill my 20 oz. in about 2 seconds, no joke). This was just outside a national park and done as a destination race. There was an important "No trash" policy. Aid stations did have snacks with wrappers and trash cans (mostly Honey Stinger as they were a sponsor). It was very clearly stated in the rules that you would be DQ'ed and banned from future races by this organization if you were caught littering. When I see pictures of cups everywhere on the street around aid stations at the big city races, I cringe because I know this can work. Yet I always get a lot of runners telling me there is just no way. At my last road race, I did what everyone else did (just threw the cups on the ground), but only because there were no trash cans provided at many of the aid stations. Of course it isn't possible then! But yea... I hate littering and waste.

This particular race is a "trail run" on a rails-to-trails trail. It gets much of the road runner crowd and not technical trails crowd, but the trail is only around maybe 10-15 feet wide and crushed limestone. They estimate 400 runners, so this is a pretty small crowd. I've run smaller (smallest had 19 total runners for the marathon and probably 3-4 times that for the half marathon race starting half-way along as both were point-to-point), but 400 is still a pretty small race.

I really like the reusable cup idea for drinks but I can imagine at a major race like the Pittsburgh Marathon, the condition at the water stops might get very complex when you have 100s of runners all at once - must of which appear to be dumb-dumbs. (meant in the best possible way of course).

When I did my 50k trail race, I brought my own bottles (the set that matched my belt) and topped off at each station. No waste that way. Worked very well in that environment but massively fewer people in that race, and I imagine only more serious runners show up for a 50k. So that probably helps a lot.

I've heard that, but I'm not convinced. The race where I saw this had probably around 5K participants, more or less, and the concept just scales to a larger number. There would just be more Quick-Fill spigots / color-coded dispensers as the quantity of runners increases.

At the race expo / packet pickup, they had these spigots available for practice even... so everyone knew how to use it (not like it was terribly complicated.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Completely different question to those of you that combine running and strength training: how do you fit everything into one week?
    I've basically found two different approaches:
    a) save strength training, especially lower body workouts, for days on which you don't run or do easy runs
    b) "keep your hard days hard and your easy days easy" (e.g. do your strength training later in the same day where you did long runs or speed training, so that you can recover better on easy/rest days)

I'm currently trying to combine a 5-day running plan (rest, short, mid, short, rest, mid/tempo, long) with a 5-day-per-week strength programme (lower, upper, core, lower, upper, stretching, rest).
    Last week I started out by something like approach a: did a long run on Sunday, lower body strength on Monday evening (and no running, then easy run & arms on Tuesday), but then the main leg&glutes soreness from the Monday evening workout hit between Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning, so the mid-week mid-long run really sucked.

So I'm thinking about trying option b this week. So far I did my long run Sunday (too-dang-early) morning, and then the lower-body workout in the evening before bed. That went surprisingly well, and today my legs can rest completely :)
    On the other hand, this long run was only 17.6km / 11 mi, and I would like to gradually increase that distance in the next month. I'm wondering if I could still do any meaningful strength training after, say, a 30km run, or if my legs would be too trashed and I would risk injury?

I'm doing approach a at the moment: four days of running, two days of full-body lifting, and one day of rest. I've experimented with running an easy mile or two before one of the lifting days, but four days a week is plenty of running for me right now. I like doing some sort of workout every day but I like to keep it to an hour max - doing running and lifting sounds like too much of a time commitment. But I'm mainly just maintaining my strength training right now - I realized when I started running regularly again that I don't have the time or energy to go all out with both running and lifting, so I decided to split them seasonally and wait for winter to really amp up lifting again.

ETA: Also, I get super sweaty running no matter how "easy" the run and am not crazy about lifting while drenched in rapidly cooling sweat (for whatever reason I don't sweat much while lifting, bodies are weird!). I guess I could run in the AM and lift in the PM, but if I don't get my workouts done first thing, they don't always get done.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options

I really like the reusable cup idea for drinks but I can imagine at a major race like the Pittsburgh Marathon, the condition at the water stops might get very complex when you have 100s of runners all at once - must of which appear to be dumb-dumbs. (meant in the best possible way of course).

You should have just done the Pittsburgh Half - there were some sharp looking people there!
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    July Goals: 200 running miles.

July Running:
    07.02.18 - 07.08.18: Running Miles 48 / Weekly TSS 585 / Fitness: 76 CTL
    07.09.18 - 07.15.19: Running Miles / Weekly TSS / Fitness: CTL
    07.16.18 - 07.22.18: Running Miles / Weekly TSS / Fitness: CTL
    07.23.18 - 07.29.18: Running Miles / Weekly TSS / Fitness: CTL

Goals 07.09.18 - 07.15.18:
    Run: 6 Days, plus a LR of 15 on Wknd. No wussing out this weekend.

Base 1 : Week 1 of 4
    07.09.18 - AM - 2.5 m. PM -

Upcoming Events:
    08.25.18 - Tour de Donut Bike Ride

And @AlphaHowls is like my hero :)

• LaDispute57
    Options
    That grilled cheese sounds wonderful, but might be a bit difficult logistically unless a local restaurant is your sponsor.
    I have only done trail races and the people manning the aid stations had camping grills fired up and were pumping out those sandwiches like Willy Wonka machines.
  • LaDispute57
    Options
    @workaholic_nurse 13 miles is a solid distance to run. I remember how I felt after after my first one and wasn't sure I would ever be able to run much more than that. After I ran my second one, I ditched road races and went to trail races and moved up to the 30k distance then jumped to 50k. I really like that 50k distance even though every time I cross the finish the line, I swear I will never do it again. I hope to successfully complete a 50 mile race next year, but I told myself I have to get at least three more 50ks under my belt before I attempt it again. I have a couple of friends that really want me to do a 100 miler with them, but that is daunting, demands a huge amount of time and I am not sure my 60 year old (probably 62 year old by that time) body would hold up to the wear and tear of a 100 mile training program. But if you have already done some halfs, you could definitely be ready to do a 50k relatively soon.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    That grilled cheese sounds wonderful, but might be a bit difficult logistically unless a local restaurant is your sponsor.
    I have only done trail races and the people manning the aid stations had camping grills fired up and were pumping out those sandwiches like Willy Wonka machines.

Sign me up!
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    July Running Challenge
    Goal: 40 km
    Done: 17.5/40 km

9/7/18 Run 5 km SL A
    8/7/18 Run 2 km Walk 4 km
    7/7/18 Walk 3 km SL B
    5/7/18 Run 2.5 km Walk 6 km
    4/7/18 Run 2 km Walk 7 km SL A
    3/7/18 Run 4 km Walk 9 km
    2/7/18 Run 2 km Walk 5 km
    1/7/18 Walk 7 km
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    At aid stations for our local event we set up a series of 4-5 garbage bags/boxs at various distances 5,10,20 and 40 meters out from the aid stations. This eliminated 90% of the trail trash. Also it was repeated multiple times during the pre race briefing.
    Favorite food item baby potatoes and a salt dip followed by PB cookies.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »

Damnit... :p pavlovian response for PB cookies... <3
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    At aid stations for our local event we set up a series of 4-5 garbage bags/boxs at various distances 5,10,20 and 40 meters out from the aid stations. This eliminated 90% of the trail trash. Also it was repeated multiple times during the pre race briefing.

Man those sound good.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

And @AlphaHowls is like my hero :)

She's been mine too this last month.