July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

With that said, in regards to my running specifically - I wish the first mile didn't always feel like garbage. After about a mile and a half my body just wakes up and kicks into gear. I just can't seem to ever get off to a good start. I'll even do a light warm up to help flush my legs, but it doesn't aid in my effort. I think it's more a mental thing than physical, but I honestly don't know. I'm certainly no expert on running.

this is the first twenty minutes for me. I have tried just going for a short run round the park, which is about twenty minutes long, and it feels terrible. half way round I am cursing getting out of bed. after about twenty minutes I'm flying. But anything less, hell.

so you are not alone in feeling this - there's a fair few of us here who have the same thing!!

i feel like the longer i run, the longer it takes me into fall into my stride.
  • kcs76
    kcs76 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    @RunnerGrl1982 you are so right. I still feel like I'm going to die that first mile. It's very gratifying to see the long distance pros in this group say that feeling is normal.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

With that said, in regards to my running specifically - I wish the first mile didn't always feel like garbage. After about a mile and a half my body just wakes up and kicks into gear. I just can't seem to ever get off to a good start. I'll even do a light warm up to help flush my legs, but it doesn't aid in my effort. I think it's more a mental thing than physical, but I honestly don't know. I'm certainly no expert on running.

this is the first twenty minutes for me. I have tried just going for a short run round the park, which is about twenty minutes long, and it feels terrible. half way round I am cursing getting out of bed. after about twenty minutes I'm flying. But anything less, hell.

so you are not alone in feeling this - there's a fair few of us here who have the same thing!!

Yup, I'm on this boat as well. It's been a gradual thing as I've been increasing my mileage, which is frustrating but apparently not unusual. Running slower has been helping some, but not completely.

@cburke8909: I suppose it's all relative, but I've been feeling it at 35, which I'm given to understand isn't over the hill for distance running. That said, I didn't do any sort of strenuous physical activity in my 20s (although I did walk a lot) so it's hard to compare - there's a pretty good argument to be made I'm in better physical shape now than I've ever been.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

Yup, I'm on this boat as well. It's been a gradual thing as I've been increasing my mileage, which is frustrating but apparently not unusual. Running slower has been helping some, but not completely.

@cburke8909: I suppose it's all relative, but I've been feeling it at 35, which I'm given to understand isn't over the hill for distance running. That said, I didn't do any sort of strenuous physical activity in my 20s (although I did walk a lot) so it's hard to compare - there's a pretty good argument to be made I'm in better physical shape now than I've ever been.

The first mile is a lie!

Seriously though I think this has to do with glucagon, and it taking a moment for your liver and pancreas to start waking up and shipping out. It's a common phenomenon, which may have more to do with efficiency and time than distance, so the better you run, the longer distance it lasts.