July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Also! Last it's the week of July, how's the 50 mile club doing? @amgreenwell, @ahelgers10, @bride001, @mcw2018mfp, @ereck44, @Teerai, @hanlonsk, @madisenb, @Marissaxzxzxz
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    @missevil - While your ultimate goal is probably to run an entire 5k race, 10k race or longer, there are many people who use a run/walk strategy for their races and do quite well with it. I have an older acquaintance who is a Boston qualifier who runs his marathons that way. Enter your 5k and run it or run/walk it but in either case have fun with it. I suspect though by September you will be running the entire distance if you keep up your training. Also my face gets like that too! Those of us with fair skin and/or red hair need to buy up all the sunscreen!
    @Teresa502 - I am running the 2nd HM of the SF Marathon (you have options of Full, 1st HM, 2nd HM and Ultra). I have run the 1st HM twice and this will be the 2nd time I have run the 2nd HM. My daughter ran with me the very 1st time on the 1st HM across the GG bridge and she is running with me this time so I am super excited. She has lost a lot of weight and is in fantastic shape so this time it will be me trying to keep up with her I am sure!
    @MegaMooseEsq - I am so glad Bowie is doing better for a little while at least! Does he have a bucket list? I have a good friend whose dog was diagnosed with advanced cancer so they made a bucket list of places to camp (Izzy loves camping) and dog friendly restaurants to visit!
    @mbaker566 - love those tired pups! @Stoshew71 used to have some videos on correct arm placement and stride. I found them very helpful for me to get my arms where they needed to be and not swinging out too far, up too far or across my body. It also showed how your arm swing affected your stride and by keeping your arms closer to your body helped shorten your stride which I really needed help with at the time. I will see if I can find them.
    @RunnerGrl1982 - awesome on scoring the Garmin!!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    missevil wrote: »
    Fellow shortie runner with little legs over here! Finding the right pace for YOU is like finding a magical sweet spot with running. I wasn’t able to successfully train for longer distances until I discovered it. :)
    Yes, that's very true! I need to forget about those numbers of very experienced runners.
    If it is correct, that's a quite respectable pace for a short female noob running 5k! My first 5k was 38 minutes or something. Your pace will improve gradually as your conditioning improves, but there are several female runners here who run 12 minute miles. Great job finding a pace that feels comfortable!

It is? Well, that's a surprise, but good to know. Although I haven't finished a full 5K yet. I think my longest interval without walking in between was like 4k. I think about joining a 5k race in September. And I made the mistake to check the numbers of other people there. Which is stupid, since they are seasoned runners, but I realised that I'm going to need the same time as the walkers or the 10k runners to finish the 5k route. Which is why I saw myself as very slow. But hey, I'm probably going to try it anyway and someone has to be the last one to arrive ;)
    Yes, it's a completely acceptable pace for running for fitness or for fun!
    Thanks, that all I want to achieve, so I'm very happy and content now :)

July 2018
    Guestimated goal: 50 60 Km
    Achieved so far: 52,9 Km

2. 3,95 Km
    4. 2,82 Km
    5. 2,83 Km
    6. 3,79 Km
    9. 3,61 Km
    11. 4,69 Km
    13. 4,45 Km
    15. 5,55 Km
    16. 4,18 Km
    18. 3,86 Km
    20. 5,29 Km
    22. 3,38 Km
    25. 4,5 Km

After my very successfull run on Friday, I tried again opn Sunday and failed. I wasn't in the right state of mind and had big trouble to keep running. In the end, I sat down at the river and just relaxed.
    This morning, it was ok again.

Currently, we have a terrible heat period (33°C/ 90°F) and I hate it so much. Fortunately, it is cooling down a bit during the nights, so it was bearable to run this morning, although my face was in flames and dark red for at least another half an hour after returning and showering. I've never used so much sunscreen in my life before ;) I'm actually quite a stay-at-home.

I've been struggling with the comparison-itis too - I keep reminding myself that I only started running last summer and that everyone started somewhere! I got a little caught up in speed chasing in June and early July but have intentionally dialed back to 11:30/12 minute miles the last couple of weeks and it's felt really good. My goal for August is to focus on distance, not speed. Everything I've read about running says that running more is the best way to go about getting faster anyhow!

I'm a pale freckled redhead (admittedly naturally more blond-ish) and my face goes bright red every time I run (or drink a glass of red wine, or am even slightly embarrassed or excited, etc), sunscreen or no. I was really self-conscious about it at first but finally accepted that no one cares. I've heard people tell stories of being asked by strangers if they're okay, which is mortifying to imagine, but thankfully hasn't happened to me yet. Hopefully I handle it with a modicum of dignity if it does!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    Can't keep up, so I'll just leave this here...
    I went to the running store, got fitted, and tried several pairs of shoes. These were the winners :) And I'm turning in the receipt so I can get reimbursed from my work's "Keeping Fit" benefit.
    71mj4247bty9.jpg

Work reimbursement FTW! My spouse's insurance refunds gym membership but I never thought to see if they'd cover running togs - I'm totally going to check now! I'm running in the Ghost 10s right now so I think that makes us shoe cousins.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    400.36 running miles to date for this month

Nothing overwhelming or profound, just wondering where the month went...

NO, NOTHING OVERWHELMING or PROFOUND about running 400 miles before the end of the month....no, piece of cake. How come everybody doesn't do that?

That is SUPERWOMAN status. You are an inspiration to us all (unattainable inspiration, but still an inspiration)!

Funny @scott6255 I was kinda thinking along those same lines.... :D