July Self-Care Challenge

Options
twyla77
twyla77 Posts: 445 Member

June was a busy month, but I felt so much joy just logging in & reading all of the different ways everyone was taking care of themselves, so let's keep it going! Even just reading through the thread to see what everyone was up put a smile on my face, and I am grateful for that! Looking forward to another month of positive vibes!

For the new joiners, here's what this challenge is all about!

We're all here on MFP to improve our physical health & strengthen our bodies, but what about working on our mental health? As indulgent as the term "self-care" sounds, it really is an important way to help prevent "overload burnout" as well as reduce the negative effects of every day stress.

I'm committing to 1 act of self-care every day of July! These acts don't have to be costly or time consuming, just little things that I can work into my regular schedule to help me feel good mentally while I work on feeling good physically!

If anyone wants to join this challenge please do - if you want to log in daily or a few times over the month to comment/share what you're up to, that would be great - the more ideas the better, because not everyone feels the same about certain things - some people might consider a day at the spa getting a pedicure and facial relaxing, but to me that would be a stressful afternoon! To each their own, this isn't about what's right or what's wrong, it's about what makes YOU feel good!

A few ideas from blogs, articles & friends to get started:
*try a new recipe
*say no to something without feeling guilty / realize the benefits of saying no to some things
*declutter your wardrobe / donate some items of clothing that you haven't worn or no longer fit
*get up out of your office chair and go for a walk (outdoors if possible!)
*start a puzzle
*tell yourself a body positive affirmation such as "I love _______ about my body because it makes me feel special & unique."
*go for a bike ride to nowhere in particular, just for fun! Not to get your Fitbit number up, but just because you feel like it.
*clean up your work area / desk
*unplug for a few hours and enjoy a cup of tea and a book
*buy a drugstore face-mask and a fun nail polish and have a DIY pampering session
*watch a TEDtalk about something you're interested in, or something you'd like to learn more about
*diffuse some uplifting essential oils

Anyways, even if you don't join the daily challenge, I hope you still take a bit of time in July to do something great, just for yourself! You deserve it!

Replies

• twyla77
    Options
    Monday July 2 : It’s the Canada Day long weekend here, and I’m actually taking the day off instead of going in to the office! Not even going to check my work emails until tomorrow!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,975 Member
    Options
    Thank you @twyla77 Happy Canada Day Weekend!!

I realize as I get closer & closer to my Goal Weight & slipping into maintenance mode, that Self Care is really important when we don’t have the scale decreases...

So glad you thought of this!

July 1: prepped foods & worked on my art in the evening & went to sleep earlier!!

July 2: Will work in my new book at least 10 mins.

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Another hot day, so I went for a peaceful early morning walk. Tonight dinner with a friend at our favorite Indian restaurant. :)
  • sdudley08
    sdudley08 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I meditated this morning and I'm hoping to write in my log for 5 minutes. I'm trying to focus on how I feel. I can do goals all day, but the emotional part is hard for me.
  • twyla77
    Options
    jodymarq wrote: »
    For me, I do have to agree with you that time at the spa does not relax me, even after an hour massage. So what does? Sitting back and watching my bird feeders. Seeing everything fly in as big as blue jays and doves down to as small as humming birds just calms me down in a way I can't explain. But may explain why I have 6 different types of bird food/feeders LOL :)

oh wow! i wish i had somewhere to hang a bird feeder! i don’t blame you for having 6 different types, that must be so nice to watch! (and nice for the birds, too!)
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I finished a book and got the family on a walk
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Had a date with my DH!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,162 Member
    Options
    Arrived at our annual vacation spot in West Virginia. Yesterday and today, I have already been on long power walks in the rolling hills. Yesterday, I had 14,000 steps, and it's only 10 am today and I already have 7,600. My fav form of self care is walking far and all alone.
    This vacation will be self care driven- I'll go to the spa (massages, pedicures, facials etc.)
    I also brought art supplies and journals. I'll be sure to read. We go on this vacation with 10 extended family members and our routine is really perfect: we meet for breakfast and dinner but in between everyone does what they want.
    I'll also golf this week even though I dont really care for it; but my family members do.
    LAst night, I saw fireworks which were gorgeous and observed my dad wiping away silent tears. He is grateful to this country for many things; he was a very poor immigrant who came to America and made a life for himself in the 60s. Overall, the self care goals will be met this week to the max. Wishing every one a happy 4th of July. Xo
  • PKM0515
    Options
    Arrived at our annual vacation spot in West Virginia. Yesterday and today, I have already been on long power walks in the rolling hills. Yesterday, I had 14,000 steps, and it's only 10 am today and I already have 7,600. My fav form of self care is walking far and all alone.
    This vacation will be self care driven- I'll go to the spa (massages, pedicures, facials etc.)
    I also brought art supplies and journals. I'll be sure to read. We go on this vacation with 10 extended family members and our routine is really perfect: we meet for breakfast and dinner but in between everyone does what they want.
    I'll also golf this week even though I dont really care for it; but my family members do.
    LAst night, I saw fireworks which were gorgeous and observed my dad wiping away silent tears. He is grateful to this country for many things; he was a very poor immigrant who came to America and made a life for himself in the 60s. Overall, the self care goals will be met this week to the max. Wishing every one a happy 4th of July. Xo

This sounds so wonderful, Julie!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    July 4
    Really relaxed, watched tv, took a light stroll, petted my cat :) a lovely day!
  • twyla77
    Options
    @MadisonMolly - petting an animal is one of my favourite things to do! I don't have any pets of my own anymore, but we have an office dog, Ruby! 10 minutes with her is instant stress relief!
  • PKM0515
    Options
    • "Spiritual" walk.
    • Did another thing that was hanging over my head.
  • nelja
    nelja Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I am so excited.Going to buy myself a copper chef casserole today.It has a steamer and frying chips adapter.Now i can through out my old steamer.Thumbs up for new and exciting dishes.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    July 5
    Went to the Farmer’s Market! Yum!!

Planned a birthday party for a dear friend!!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,162 Member
    Options
    Still on a family vacation.
    Have not mediated but have walked many miles a day on the rolling hills.
    Eating a lot of salads because when you're at a resort, you have your very own personal chef in a way. No excuses not to order salad when it's so tasty and someone else is making it.

July 6- Today, we are going to the zoo.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I've just finished being parkrun Run Director today. I always need a lot of winding down after that, because it gives me anxiety leading up to it (being in charge of sometimes 80 runners and speaking at the event), even though I've done it 17 times now.

@twyla77 Your tips in the OP are great!

I've sussed out a new recipe. I will go for a walk to buy the things I need for it.

I bought myself a Merino exercise jacket on my way home. Love having new fitness gear!