July Self-Care Challenge

Options

Replies

• Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,821 Member
    Options
    Been really busy but enjoy checking in with you guys. Nice ideas. I've taken some walks, Baths and been reading
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,981 Member
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    July 10
    Watched a fun movie & adult coloring book fun!

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what movie and what coloring book? :)

I colored a bit in my "Positively Inspired" coloring book by Jess Volinski. This is such a beautiful book! I usually use colored pencils, but a friend loaned me her Sharpie markers, so I wanted to try them out. Unfortunately, they bled through the pages; I loved the depth of color though.

I'm still trying to decide if I enjoy coloring. Honestly, I think the answer is "No", but they make such wonderful books now. Last fall I saw an amazing Edgar Allen Poe coloring book.

“Get Smart” was the movie with Dteve Carrell & Anne Hathaway- I’d seen it before a long time ago, but I loved it the 2nd time, too!

I love to use markers (Faber-Castell) & brush markers (Kuretake). They don’t bleed through.

I will look up the title of my coloring book & post it later - cat is sleeping on my lap at the moment!

I know what you mean re: whether I like coloring books or not. I have mixed feelings.

On one hand, they don’t seem very creative. I feel I “should” be creating my own designs.

On the other hand, They are truly relaxing to me, and I find after doing a little (almost as a warm-up), I find myself grabbing a blank sheet of paper & making my own images.

Also, I love that I can concentrate just on the color combinations with the coloring book. I Love Color!

Lastly, I like to use a fine-tipped waterproof pen and add dots, lines, designs, and words in some of the sections I’ve colored a la Zentangle.

So, I guess I think of them as a low hurdle, colorful, relaxing pleasure, which leads to original art work!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @allison8668
    I totally agree on slowly eating. I *only*!eat slowly/mindfully now. Otherwise, what’s the point!! I also find I don’t feel like finishing the meal. I used to force myself to finish it, but as I’ve neared GW & been slowing my weight loss down, I will now stop & weigh what I didn’t eat, subtracting it from my tracked weights of foods for that meal, and saving the “leftovers” for later on. Works great! I can tell I’m getting better at “listening to my body” re: food.

What is a triple wrap bracelet?!! That sound so fun...and I have some beads!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Handstand practice.
    6 km walk.
    Messaged my sister and may visit her for a bit when I take leave next month.
    Lunch with Mum and one of her oldest friends.
    Organised two photos to enter in an upcoming Art & Photography show.

@Orphia
    Photos!!
    Also, I’m intrigued by your blog, as I’ve thought of creating one, too!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    I just signed up for my second session of acrylic painting classes. It's every Wed. Night and I lose myself in art for two hours. I will also continue to learn to knit. Love summer time- I'm lazy in bed listening to the birds singing their morning song. I just saw a raccoon coming home from a wild night out. Money cannot buy happiness, that's for sure. Nature is free and our brains are wired to need and enjoy it. Happy Day to you!

After reading your posts & suggestions, I found a monthly art class! Starts in August!! Thanks!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 I love Zentangles too. I will have to try more of them. My sister gave each of the ladies in our family a Zentangle with a positive quote on each along with the design. It is a keepsake to me. I am happy you found an art class. I cant wait to hear how it goes.

For those of you who like to color Prismacolor colored pencils are wonderful. You can find them at craft stores- they are a little pricey but worth it. I first discovered them on my second grader's supply list. Her teacher supply list was like no other- some of the items included "knitting needles, yarn, Prismacolor colored pencils". That was the best teacher ever. She taught the kids how to knit so during read aloud time, they all knitted while she read aloud. Anyway, I'm thinking back to that beautiful memory of that teacher who taught the kids so many creative skills. Fast forward, ten years later, my daughter still knits occasionally.
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    What is a triple wrap bracelet?!! That sound so fun...and I have some beads!

Here's a link to a DIY on one : http://blog.consumercrafts.com/jewelry-main/beaded-diy-wrap-bracelet/

And, if you do a google search on - how to make triple wrap bracelets - there are vids.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @allison8668 Thanks or the link- I am going to the craft store today anyway and will give this a try!
  • allison8668
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 and @JulieAL1969 Here's the youtube vid I used to figure it all out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecRgcrgrbhs

Oh my, didn't realize it was gonna put it all here. Hope that's ok.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    to ease my financial burdens I got a roommate <3
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    mandypauza wrote: »
    Light is my first level of self care. I spent the money to buy a good daylight goose-neck lamp and it is directly over my desk. I turn it off in the evening and get my screen to darken on my computer so I have a slowdown into night time and I go to bed less jittery. In Seattle we have vitamin D and depression issues so I make it an effort to get outside when it's not raining and just soak up some sun. Used to call those smoke breaks but quit smoking so now it's "sunshine breaks".

Sleep is my second level of self care. I'm a retired stay at home mom... I'm allowed to sleep! Finally! I have myself a routine of listening to an audiobook with a sleep timer at night so again I can settle my mind in darkness without a tv or phone flicker. I'm slowly turning my bedroom into a nice retreat, plants and more daylight bulbs and music. I never had a room designed just to feel good before.

Music is my third layer of self care. Whenever I'm really down my daughter asks me what music I've been listening to and it's always been days or weeks since I put on music I love to sing along to. Recently my son instigated Happy Music Time when he gets home from work. We put on our favorite songs and sing along... now my fitness goal is to be able to dance all the way through Farrell's Happy. Musicals are another great choice around here because we all burst into song and movie quote at each other. Great for a day of housecleaning.

Laughing would be my fourth layer of self care and another thing I tend to ignore when I'm down but it's such a simple energizer to just put on a comic you like and then just laugh to split a gut. Yet inevitably when I'm down and my son notices I have to then I have to watch a comic he picks. Try any comic that might be funny especially when you don't feel like laughing. And comedians energize me more than silly movies so I like seeing stand up or improv.

Shopping is another self care layer that doesn't have to be expensive if you keep in mind that you're looking for treasure... you aren't spending a set amount but you will know when you find the needful thing. Sometimes the treasure isn't even for me. Might be a candle, might be a picture of an elephant your husband would love. Could be your sister's next birthday present. Could be your present to yourself on your birthday. Just stroll, browse, wish or fantasize about whatever, how many houseplants you'd want if you could have all you wanted or oh I'd do those drapes in my bedroom.

Meditation is another layer of self care and it took me quite some time to really get what I'm supposed to be doing, you know your mind is like a restless puppy when you close your eyes but don't go to sleep. My cat helps me meditate. When he gets up on my desk I push the keyboard away and we have a snuggle for a good ten minutes and I practice the mindful meditations by Jack Kornfield. He has a great voice and a great empathy. Then either me or the cat gets restless and I shoo him away and I'll do another ten minutes with him later.

Creativity is another layer of self care that I figured out in the hospital. Coloring, drawing, kids watercolor sets, glitter pens, you don't even have to make it a huge project but get yourself a nice coloring book and some cheap gel pens to start and channel your inner 5 year old and color everything in glitter!

Been working on scents as a layer of self care. I found a body spray I really like and I spritz myself now and again. My daughter found these little tins of balms you rub on your hands and face before bed because it's a light relaxing fragrance. There's cucumber toner facial spritzers for the summer. Scents are so powerful. What's a better start to self care than to buy yourself some fresh flowers!

So that's like my baseline of self care. I'm sure I can think of other things. A gratitude journal, for instance, can be very helpful if you have a nice list of ideas to fill it with. I'm bipolar and I've tried everything and been in and out of hospitals and they always want a self care plan before you leave so that's how this list got built over the years.

this is great - thanks for sharing <3
  • rhondamacleod1958
    rhondamacleod1958 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    07/12/18 - Halo Top Peanut Butter Swirl frozen dairy dessert. A serving of this deliciousness is 125ml (1/2 cup). Without guilt, I ate a double serving. Granted I immediately went for a 30 minute walk, but it was worth every single bite 😊🍦
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Handstand practice.
    6 km walk.

@Orphia
    Photos!!

@MadisonMolly2017 Thanks! My blog is zenmode and the suffix is org.

(MFP don't like us posting links to our own websites.)

I've been getting great feedback on it, so I'm really happy! My favourite compliment is that it's "easy to read". :smile:
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Handstand practice.
    6 km walk.

@Orphia
    Photos!!

I've been getting great feedback on it, so I'm really happy! My favourite compliment is that it's "easy to read". :smile:

I am reading your blog right now. The Tomorrow You touches my heart. I'm so proud of your achievements. And I am equally amazed at your before and after pics after one year of running. xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    07/12/18 - Halo Top Peanut Butter Swirl frozen dairy dessert. A serving of this deliciousness is 125ml (1/2 cup). Without guilt, I ate a double serving. Granted I immediately went for a 30 minute walk, but it was worth every single bite 😊🍦

HALO is delicious. I bought salted caramel and ate half one day and half the next day. But it wasn't as bad as eating real ice cream but just as tasty!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @allison8668 I bought all the things I need to make the bracelet. In a few days, I will make it and post the pic if it turns out. I am not a natural at reading/following directions but I sure do love trying new things.
  • allison8668
    Options
    @allison8668 I bought all the things I need to make the bracelet. In a few days, I will make it and post the pic if it turns out. I am not a natural at reading/following directions but I sure do love trying new things.

Sweet ! Can't wait to see the final product. I'm cheering for a success :)
  • allison8668
    Options

HALO is delicious. I bought salted caramel and ate half one day and half the next day. But it wasn't as bad as eating real ice cream but just as tasty!

I went to the supermarket last night and couldn't believe how many "low" cal, high protein ice-cream pints there are from different manufacturers and all the flavors. I only wish they weren't $5 a piece. Especially when I see a larger tub of ice cream for $2.50.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Just got a manicure and a fresh veggie juice (carrot, celery, and apple) which is like my mom used to make for me when I was growing up. She had the right idea then- keep it simple and healthy. We all went to school every morning with a healthy veggie juice in our bellies to start the day.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Handstand practice.
    6 km walk.

@Orphia
    Photos!!

I am reading your blog right now. The Tomorrow You touches my heart. I'm so proud of your achievements. And I am equally amazed at your before and after pics after one year of running. xo

Thanks so much! xx