July Self-Care Challenge

Options

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,981 Member
    Options
    @allison8668 Your recipe sounds delicious, and I just bought a cauliflower!! Thank you!

I found most of my info online re: The MIND Diet originally. I made a checklist on graph paper for a month or two. Day by day.

When I began, I was eating vegetables but not leafy greens as much. I’m a big salad eater, but messed my former dressings. This week, I’ve had a salad each day. Yay!

I also had to work in the beans, and just recently fixed that one.

Ditto fish.

It just gives you little mini-goals, that I have worked on over time! Note: even if you do 7-9 of the 15, your chances of Alz/Demen drop significantly.

I got the book so I could learn her reasons behind her “rules,” so I could evaluate how important they were to accomplish...

It’s important to note that she is an epidemiologist, not a scientist.

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    July 8 self-care
    A fun outing & some bookshop browsing!!

Did a grocery shop to restock veggies, fruit, nuts, hummus, Ezekiel bread, milk. Yes, I think of this as possibly the most important self-care I do! I will wash and prep the veggies later today, create salads, and bowl of crudités.

Will also try to “rice” some of my cauliflower in my Food processor!! 😁
  • twyla77
    twyla77 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    just finished my meal prep for the week! knowing that my work week lunches & snacks are taken care is such an awesome feeling!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Did my handstand practice in my beautiful new yoga studio (my son's old room). So happy!

Wrote two blog posts!

(The World is Getting Better; and How I Started Running.)
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    7/8 - Spent a lot of time relaxing outdoors. We have a summer cabin in a wooded area and there's a pool there, too. So I walked around a lot, laid out in the sun, and swam around the pool. I also read some more - and decided that this week I'm going to try to focus on eating SLOWLY.

@MadisonMolly2017 I'd like to know if you were able to rice the cauliflower in the food processor. My husband thought it could be done using the attachment with the little holes - but he said it probably wouldn't be small like the frozen kind - or fresh that the supermarket does.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    7/8 - Spent a lot of time relaxing outdoors. We have a summer cabin in a wooded area and there's a pool there, too. So I walked around a lot, laid out in the sun, and swam around the pool. I also read some more - and decided that this week I'm going to try to focus on eating SLOWLY.

Sounds like a great weekend! 🏊
  • allison8668
    Options
    @SaraKim17 Yes, it totally was a great weekend - love the swimmer emoji ! Wish they had them on the website.
  • rhondamacleod1958
    rhondamacleod1958 Posts: 88 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    July 09

I opted out of going to the annual Stampede Breakfast that our building complex puts on each year. Although I appreciate the effort that the volunteers and the management company put into these events, I preferred to go for a 30 minute walk instead. I came back and ate my mixed oat grains, blueberries and walnuts and felt pretty darn good.

I found this challenge <3 THIS is exactly what I need! Reading through all the lovely posts was therapeutic and enjoyable.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    July 9
    Straightened/reset my art studio in preparation for new adventures!!
  • Orphia
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Handstand practice.
    6 km walk.
    Messaged my sister and may visit her for a bit when I take leave next month.
    Lunch with Mum and one of her oldest friends.
    Organised two photos to enter in an upcoming Art & Photography show.
  • Orphia
    Options
    July 9
    Straightened/reset my art studio in preparation for new adventures!!

I like the sound of that! :heart:
  • rhondamacleod1958
    Options
    July 10th - Today I did something that is long overdue. I deactivated my Facebook and Twitter account. In it's place I will enjoy the beautiful summer weather, walk my dogs and weed my garden.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    July 10th - Today I did something that is long overdue. I deactivated my Facebook and Twitter account. In it's place I will enjoy the beautiful summer weather, walk my dogs and weed my garden.

Bravo! I do that once in awhile. And then for a week, I feel so liberated. Great idea!
  • rhondamacleod1958
    Options
    chunn wrote: »
    I am going to take a 15 min break at work to get some steps in and walk.

My habit for years has been to arrive at work a good hour early. Mostly to avoid traffic. For the past 4 years I have either started to work, or go online to fill that extra time. At the beginning of June I slapped on my runners one morning, and went for a 15 minute walk. It now extends to 30 - 35 minutes. Extra steps and extra time with my thoughts - all good stuff. I actually look forward to my morning walks.

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for my second session of acrylic painting classes. It's every Wed. Night and I lose myself in art for two hours. I will also continue to learn to knit. Love summer time- I'm lazy in bed listening to the birds singing their morning song. I just saw a raccoon coming home from a wild night out. Money cannot buy happiness, that's for sure. Nature is free and our brains are wired to need and enjoy it. Happy Day to you!
  • nelja
    nelja Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Had cycling training last night,but skipped it to make dinner in my new snappy chef casserole. I just loved it and the pot roast came out very nice. And i did not feel guilty for skipping training. 066a9chzi5tm.jpg
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    July 10
    Watched a fun movie & adult coloring book fun!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    July 10
    Watched a fun movie & adult coloring book fun!

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what movie and what coloring book? :)

I colored a bit in my "Positively Inspired" coloring book by Jess Volinski. This is such a beautiful book! I usually use colored pencils, but a friend loaned me her Sharpie markers, so I wanted to try them out. Unfortunately, they bled through the pages; I loved the depth of color though.

I'm still trying to decide if I enjoy coloring. Honestly, I think the answer is "No", but they make such wonderful books now. Last fall I saw an amazing Edgar Allen Poe coloring book.
  • allison8668
    Options
    Yesterday I ate my breakfast and lunch slowly and in a relaxed manner. I took 30 minutes for each. I couldn't finish my breakfast. That was so weird - because I know if I scarfed it down, I would have finished it. I'm seeing a benefit to eating slowly.

Also, yesterday I started making a triple wrap bracelet. I had bought so many beads and threads to make them over a year ago. I made about 6 of them and then stopped. I'm hoping I'll continue today.

@MadisonMolly2017 and @SaraKim17 Thanks for the reminder about adult coloring books. I have a few - but haven't colored in them yet. I like the feeling I get when I'm drawing or coloring (not that I'm good at it.) But it's definitely a different feeling. Now if I can just remember where I put the colored pencils - otherwise gonna have to buy some !