July Self-Care Challenge

Replies

• Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,815 Member
    On a weekend vacation and got the family to go on a walk. Today we're gonna bbq and have cake for my upcoming birthday and go swimming
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Went for a 50-minute walk while listening to an audiobook ("She's Not There" by Joy Fielding).
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Yesterday I read a chapter in a book - LOL! This is pretty awesome for me.
  • PKM0515
    Yesterday I read a chapter in a book - LOL! This is pretty awesome for me.

What are you reading? :)
  • allison8668
    @SaraKim17 I'm reading "The Slow Down Diet, Eating for Pleasure, Energy & Weight Loss" by Marc David. I read the chapter for Week 6 - The Metabolic Power of Thought. It's an interesting book. I don't know if I agree with everything he says. But, he does say some very interesting things that make you go 'hmmmm.'

The chapter I read is about how your thoughts influence how the food you eat is metabolized.
  • PKM0515
    @SaraKim17 I'm reading "The Slow Down Diet, Eating for Pleasure, Energy & Weight Loss" by Marc David. I read the chapter for Week 6 - The Metabolic Power of Thought. It's an interesting book. I don't know if I agree with everything he says. But, he does say some very interesting things that make you go 'hmmmm.'

The chapter I read is about how your thoughts influence how the food you eat is metabolized.

@allison8668, thank you, it sounds interesting. Regarding your comments about the book, I felt the same way about "Wheat Belly". I found it very interesting and thought it made some valid points, but I couldn't agree with everything. Some of it was definitely over the top, imo.

At some point I want to check out The Beck Diet Solution. It seems to garner a lot of positive comments.

Hope you're enjoying the weekend! :)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,970 Member
    Thank you @SaraKim17 and @allison8668 for the suggestions. I’ve been trying to figure out how to listen to podcasts on my phone!! “Cut the Fat”
    Podcasts were recommended.

SaraKim - what is your book about?

I recommend The MIND Diet by Morris.
  • jarcaris
    jarcaris Posts: 140 Member
    I would like to join the challenge, how do I join
  • PKM0515
    jarcaris wrote: »
    I would like to join the challenge, how do I join

@jarcaris, just jump right in by posting in this thread. Welcome! :)
  • PKM0515
    edited July 2018
    @MadisonMolly2017, Joy Fielding usually writes what I consider psychological suspense novels. This one is about a woman whose two year old daughter is kidnapped while the family is on vacation in Mexico. Years later she is contacted by a young girl/woman claiming to be her long-lost daughter. Lots of family dynamics. :)

• MadisonMolly2017
    @SaraKim17 Thanks!!
  • allison8668
    SaraKim17 wrote: »

Hope you're enjoying the weekend! :)

Thanks! I am. We're having beautiful weather today. Gone is the heat and humidity. It actually feels cool outside right now (almost 7pm.)

Hope your weekend is going well too !
  • allison8668
    I’ve been trying to figure out how to listen to podcasts on my phone!!

I recommend The MIND Diet by Morris.

Hope you figure out the podcast thing! I have some books and talks I listen to via Audible on my phone.

Have you tried following the MIND diet principles/recipes - and have you noticed any positive cognitive type changes?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I had to do a couple of extra hours of work on Friday, and put them down as time in lieu. I don't usually work Fridays.

I decided I'm going to leave work early this Thursday. I'll be looking forward to that all week. :smile:
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    July 7- My sister taught me to knit tonight; i have never knitted in my life. My daughter learned in school when she was in second grade. My sister taught herself to knit. For one hour, I concentrated and tried and tried again. I ordered my own needles which will come soon. I love learning new things. For Christmas, every one will hopefully get their own knitted washcloth as a gift.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited July 2018
    17 km run with my running club this morning.

Well done, Julie! Knitting is fun.

Here's the OP list of ideas again in case anyone needs any ideas at this stage.

*try a new recipe
    *say no to something without feeling guilty / realize the benefits of saying no to some things
    *declutter your wardrobe / donate some items of clothing that you haven't worn or no longer fit
    *get up out of your office chair and go for a walk (outdoors if possible!)
    *start a puzzle
    *tell yourself a body positive affirmation such as "I love _______ about my body because it makes me feel special & unique."
    *go for a bike ride to nowhere in particular, just for fun! Not to get your Fitbit number up, but just because you feel like it.
    *clean up your work area / desk
    *unplug for a few hours and enjoy a cup of tea and a book
    *buy a drugstore face-mask and a fun nail polish and have a DIY pampering session
    *watch a TEDtalk about something you're interested in, or something you'd like to learn more about
    *diffuse some uplifting essential oils

Tonight I'm trying macadamia oil in cooking for the first time.

OH is doing roast chicken, and I thought I'd do baby Brussels sprouts with bacon, some macadamia oil, and walnuts.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Have you tried following the MIND diet principles/recipes - and have you noticed any positive cognitive type changes?

I’ve done almost all of them for awhile! I see it more as Preventative for the future - and mostly just good guidelines - and have used them to improve my meals!

I eat berries every morning. I eat two servings whole grains at breakfast. I eat 1-2 other serving of starches a day.

I eat leafy greens each day now at lunch along with other vegetables. I use olive oil or olives.. I now limit cheese to 1-2 times a week (1 oz each time) where before I ate a little each day.

I eat a fair amount (measured) of nut butter (breakfast) and nuts, usually later in the day or just before bed.

I eat fish at least once a week. Poultry 2-5 times a week. Red meat incl pork < 4X a week.

In the past week, I’ve eaten beans each day at lunch thanks to another MFP challenge!!

I don’t eat pastries, sweets, fried foods, butter, & alcohol.

The MIND diet has helped me improve the quality of what I eat over time.

Currently, I’m focusing on increasing the number of cruciferous vegetables!
  • PKM0515

I’ve done almost all of them for awhile! I see it more as Preventative for the future - and mostly just good guidelines - and have used them to improve my meals!

I eat berries every morning. I eat two servings whole grains at breakfast. I eat 1-2 other serving of starches a day.

I eat leafy greens each day now at lunch along with other vegetables. I use olive oil or olives.. I now limit cheese to 1-2 times a week (1 oz each time) where before I ate a little each day.

I eat a fair amount (measured) of nut butter (breakfast) and nuts, usually later in the day or just before bed.

I eat fish at least once a week. Poultry 2-5 times a week. Red meat incl pork < 4X a week.

In the past week, I’ve eaten beans each day at lunch thanks to another MFP challenge!!

I don’t eat pastries, sweets, fried foods, butter, & alcohol.

The MIND diet has helped me improve the quality of what I eat over time.

Currently, I’m focusing on increasing the number of cruciferous vegetables!

This is awesome! I need to read up on the MIND diet and try a few of these things. (Off to Google...)
  • allison8668
    @MadisonMolly2017 Wow - sounds like a healthy diet! For cruciferous veggies - I started buying riced cauliflower and broccoli. Really good. I made a fried rice type bowl the other day with the cauliflower and add ins. Then I put it in my giant Pusheen rice bowl and ate it with the chopsticks. Pusheen is so cute :)

That's good though, to try preventative measures. My mom and her mom both had dementia. I'm struggling with trying to convince myself that it doesn't necessarily run in families. Because some times I just think about when I get older and get dementia ... I don't want it to be a self fulfilling prophecy. I think I too will take a look at the book - Thanks !
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    @Orphia Thanks for your list. I love reading about new ideas I can easily do.
    I do love TED Talks, diffusing oils and everything else on your list!