george5911 Posts: 3,910 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Sami488 wrote: »
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    What happened to the man nipples?

They started a private group for that. Think it’s under “mipples”

Cliqued out I guess

Wtf?? Wheres my invite. Twas my nipples that started those ripples.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2018
    Options
    george5911 wrote: »
    I find it very interesting some of the responses from "loners" or those not belonging to a clique, who (in my observation) seemto.

But being a mod you have an entirely different perspective no?

Why would being a moderator give someone a different perspective? Especially when similar comments were made by others who aren't moderators?

I may be way off, but I was told moderators have insight to the who and when of woo's, likes, hugs etc... Wouldn't that introduce an entirely new data set to review? Giving a better view of who is on what bandwagon?

I can see who reacts in what way. But, tbh, trying to figure out woo patterns is a deadly spiral, even when you can see who does it.

Trying to figure out sure. I would think though that there has to be some stuff that just JUMPS out at you. But I'm not now nor have I ever been a mid so I'm really just talking out my fifth point of contact.

Well, there have been reaction trolls. Those jump out. Normal posters are pretty mixed reactors

and sometimes i like to click random buttons just to spice it up a bit, I don't want anyone knowing my methods. like who my crush is and my arch nemesis.

See. Do you mind being exhibit A?

Most people like this lovely lady. She is also a self proclaimed positive wooer. Yet, someone who dislikes woos will take her woo just as personally as the rest. Projection is real :)

And then, how does one tell the accidental scroll woo from a real woo with meaning?
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I find it very interesting some of the responses from "loners" or those not belonging to a clique, who (in my observation) seemto.

Honestly I have no idea how to answer this. I have a bit more info than the average user I guess. But, its not like I have a whos who of chit chat guide. I have some theories that range from bland to strait up crazy conspiracy lady. Plus, it would be silly to think my modness has no effect on how people interact with me. So it could be a skewed perspective all around.

I know. If we woo you, you'll know who did it. I don't see why moderators get to see who presses what vote button when the rest of us don't. Is having such coveted knowledge used as an opportunity to pass judgment on a user when it comes time to hand out warnings, jailings or bans?

Oh and by the way - do you know how many threads got closed and users got jailed and banned as a result of contributing to threads with the "Sugar Addict" theme of yore?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBoJm8LxT5ez7nmGL7gPAfVWg9MaIq65RRxj2g0JHjQonmoVRHjg

Sometimes, extra privs like seeing who does what is a matter of the software itself and not a setting that is granted via the Admins. Some things just aren't worrying about, or thinking it's a conspiracy theory.

Not worried. Just pointing out an interesting factoid relating to principal and protocol.

The way I read it, it sounded like you were going off on a conspiracy theory...

Some things just happen for a reason. Part of the job of being a moderator, or admin of a board.

to the haves, having that bit of extra may not seem like much. To the have nots, different story entirely.

Roles and responsibilities. I don't have the capability, and it's not an issue for me. Much more important things to worry about, than how a person voted on a response. Would probably cause far more drama than already happens here if general users had the capability.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

Honestly I have no idea how to answer this. I have a bit more info than the average user I guess. But, its not like I have a whos who of chit chat guide. I have some theories that range from bland to strait up crazy conspiracy lady. Plus, it would be silly to think my modness has no effect on how people interact with me. So it could be a skewed perspective all around.

I know. If we woo you, you'll know who did it. I don't see why moderators get to see who presses what vote button when the rest of us don't. Is having such coveted knowledge used as an opportunity to pass judgment on a user when it comes time to hand out warnings, jailings or bans?

Oh and by the way - do you know how many threads got closed and users got jailed and banned as a result of contributing to threads with the "Sugar Addict" theme of yore?

I think its because we have to deal with the spam and abuse flags, and the other reactions are part of the same code. But I could be wrong. I find it slightly interesting who woos a warning post amd sign as a mod. Thats the only time I care.

I dont understand the sugar addict part so rephrase if you want an answer to that

Choosing a username "Sugar Addict" is like choosing a user name "PaleoIsTheOneTrueWay" - considering the wars, battles and controversies that have raged at MFP for years tripped off by these trigger words and phrases. It is in itself a mockery and, ironically, that mockery is not tolerated in threads and is moderated vigilantly.

Well, my name is 4legs

I guess you are talking about the other mod. Not sure when she came up with her name. I know this is the only accout I have ever had. I didnt start a new one to mod from. So, assuming she is the same way, when she was a noob it was something she picked because maybe it related to her. But, despite the modern theory that may be floating around, we really are two different people, she isnt my alter ego or anything :) tag her in and ask though if you want.
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options
    bojack5 wrote: »
    I'm a clique of one....and it's great!

Shove a bum papi...
  • hud54014
    hud54014 Posts: 3,777 Member
    Options

Why would being a moderator give someone a different perspective? Especially when similar comments were made by others who aren't moderators?

I may be way off, but I was told moderators have insight to the who and when of woo's, likes, hugs etc... Wouldn't that introduce an entirely new data set to review? Giving a better view of who is on what bandwagon?

I can see who reacts in what way. But, tbh, trying to figure out woo patterns is a deadly spiral, even when you can see who does it.

Trying to figure out sure. I would think though that there has to be some stuff that just JUMPS out at you. But I'm not now nor have I ever been a mid so I'm really just talking out my fifth point of contact.

Well, there have been reaction trolls. Those jump out. Normal posters are pretty mixed reactors

and sometimes i like to click random buttons just to spice it up a bit, I don't want anyone knowing my methods. like who my crush is and my arch nemesis.

See. Do you mind being exhibit A?

Most people like this lovely lady. She is also a self proclaimed positive wooer. Yet, someone who dislikes woos will take her woo just as personally as the rest. Projection is real :)

And then, how does one tell the accidental scroll woo from a real woo with meaning?

I think everyone here has been thumb-woo'd by me. I don't bother undoing them anymore. Sorry 😬
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options

Shove a bum papi...

Huh?
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options

Shove a bum papi...

Huh?

I'm asking if you want company? Or are you great!?
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    Options

Sometimes, extra privs like seeing who does what is a matter of the software itself and not a setting that is granted via the Admins. Some things just aren't worrying about, or thinking it's a conspiracy theory.

Not worried. Just pointing out an interesting factoid relating to principal and protocol.

Some things just happen for a reason. Part of the job of being a moderator, or admin of a board.

to the haves, having that bit of extra may not seem like much. To the have nots, different story entirely.

Roles and responsibilities. I don't have the capability, and it's not an issue for me. Much more important things to worry about, than how a person voted on a response. Would probably cause far more drama than already happens here if general users had the capability.

Not saying anything about you personally. Of course to someone who labors with the roles and responsibilities it's nothing, just part of the job.

To those without, its a wielding of power they've yet to know, and look on in a most likely incorrect manner.

Ever had the thought; wish I was a cop so I could drive through red lights?

Not really. Of course, I also understand that there are some things with doesn't apply to everyone and therefore just accept that it's outside of my scope and no sense worrying or putting more thought into.

Personally, I think way too many feel like they should be a part of everything and when they aren't there's some dark conspiracy going on because they were excluded. Makes me want to dig out my box of tinfoil and hand it to them.
  • george5911
    Options

Not saying anything about you personally. Of course to someone who labors with the roles and responsibilities it's nothing, just part of the job.

To those without, its a wielding of power they've yet to know, and look on in a most likely incorrect manner.

Not really. Of course, I also understand that there are some things with doesn't apply to everyone and therefore just accept that it's outside of my scope and no sense worrying or putting more thought into.

Personally, I think way too many feel like they should be a part of everything and when they aren't there's some dark conspiracy going on because they were excluded. Makes me want to dig out my box of tinfoil and hand it to them.

Cuz that's how you teach or??

I agree with everything you're saying but the last bit.

In a situation like you've stated it's on you to demonstrate and educate to the contrary. Handing out Reynolds Wrap is just kerosene on the fire and avoiding part of the role and responsibility. (Queue spiderman cut scene, you know the one) There will of course be a contingent of the group that tunes you out and opts for the foil, but you can reach a few. That's progress.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    Options

In a situation like you've stated it's on you to demonstrate and educate to the contrary. Handing out Reynolds Wrap is just kerosene on the fire and avoiding part of the role and responsibility. (Queue spiderman cut scene, you know the one) There will of course be a contingent of the group that tunes you out and opts for the foil, but you can reach a few. That's progress.

How I teach? No. I just think that there's far bigger things in life to worry about than what kind of power a moderator has, why I can't do the same things police, military, or someone else can if it pertains to their job. Why should I? Does it impact my daily life? Nope, not in the least. Especially if they are working within legal limits, I just don't care. Some parts of life we are not meant to know what goes on. Nor, should we because of various reasons.

As to the tinfoil comment, you completely misread that statement. It was meant for after you try to give them reasons why, educate them, etc. and they still fail to grasp it. Some people either just can't comprehend it because they're paranoid. They won't comprehend it because their intellect just isn't wired that way. Or, in some way, they're just refusing and will argue the point just to argue. Which, is how I feel where this conversation is at now.

Of course, there are those fortunate few who will get a chuckle out of that tinfoil box being tossed to them without a word being said because they know they're being unreasonable...
  • george5911
    Options

How I teach? No. I just think that there's far bigger things in life to worry about than what kind of power a moderator has, why I can't do the same things police, military, or someone else can if it pertains to their job. Why should I? Does it impact my daily life? Nope, not in the least. Especially if they are working within legal limits, I just don't care. Some parts of life we are not meant to know what goes on. Nor, should we because of various reasons.

As to the tinfoil comment, you completely misread that statement. It was meant for after you try to give them reasons why, educate them, etc. and they still fail to grasp it. Some people either just can't comprehend it because they're paranoid. They won't comprehend it because their intellect just isn't wired that way. Or, in some way, they're just refusing and will argue the point just to argue. Which, is how I feel where this conversation is at now.

Of course, there are those fortunate few who will get a chuckle out of that tinfoil box being tossed to them without a word being said because they know they're being unreasonable...

To a large degree you're correct. Trying to keep this tied to the OP, albeit loosely at this point and for that I apologise. Didn't intend to hijack the thread.

I don't think I misread anything, I just didnt read what wasn't written. The lack of comprehension, intentional or not is what I was speaking about previously. There will always be some you just can't reach. Your recent amendment does give me a different look at your point of view.

I'm sorry this feels like an argument to you. I felt it a collaborative conversation of different opinions in search of a common understanding. No harm intended and no judgement passed.

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    slessofme wrote: »
    I also don't understand @lstrat115's comment on protecting oneself from returning users by baiting them. If you don't want to interact with them, doesn't it make more sense to just ignore them?

I didn't make myself clear. I am not the one baiting anyone. There are people who create alternative accounts because they have too much time on their hands and they start threads or make comments that they know will upset people. They are baiting people and hoping to get people jailed or banned. They get a kick out of it. That's pretty messed up. So I do tend to avoid new users for a while because I have gotten myself in trouble by engaging trolls.

And @newmeadow my previous comment had nothing to do with private messages or picture sharing. There are people who have come into the forums (and brought friends who never venture to these parts) who only had the intention of being malicious to other users.

I tend to cringe when I see a new name if I think it might be certain returning users, because they tend to piss all over the boards and generate ban sweeps. Two of my favorite posters were banned this way. Some prior users are just incredibly polarizing.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    All of chit chat is a clique by definition. All the go back to fun and games comments and the way a new person feels like they have to jump onto a moving train...that's all clique. I'm not saying everyone that posts here, but the overall atmosphere collectively.

Nobody from my clique commented on this, so I'm quoting it.

Double dibs