Cliques

Options

Replies

• george5911
    george5911 Posts: 3,910 Member
    Options
    george5911 wrote: »
    I find it very interesting some of the responses from "loners" or those not belonging to a clique, who (in my observation) seemto.

But being a mod you have an entirely different perspective no?

Why would being a moderator give someone a different perspective? Especially when similar comments were made by others who aren't moderators?

I may be way off, but I was told moderators have insight to the who and when of woo's, likes, hugs etc... Wouldn't that introduce an entirely new data set to review? Giving a better view of who is on what bandwagon?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I find it very interesting some of the responses from "loners" or those not belonging to a clique, who (in my observation) seem to have a few besties.

It seems like the chit chat wars are at a relative low right now. Hopefully it stays that way. I have not seen any truely horrendous stuff lately, I prefer it that way. And Im not talking as a nit picky mod, I have seen people do some really mean things to other posters on these boards :cry:

Well, i used the term loner...so i guess id be surprised if you felt that i was. But then maybe it proves the skewed view of what a clique is??

Its funny because I had been thinking you, 81katz, and justkeeptrying were a little group. I hesitate to use the word clique because of the negative connotation. But yall seem to get on pretty well.
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,845 Member
    Options
    I get what's going on here, and I think it's absolutely brilliant.

No better way to get teenagers to stop using this word than for a bunch of adults to start. :)
  • Sami488
    Sami488 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    For reference.
    Clique definition:
    a small group of people, with shared interests or other features in common, who spend time together and do not readily allow others to join them.
  • mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    PaperDoll_ wrote: »
    I get what's going on here, and I think it's absolutely brilliant.

No better way to get teenagers to stop using this word than for a bunch of adults to start. :)

:D:D:D
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    I find it very interesting some of the responses from "loners" or those not belonging to a clique, who (in my observation) seemto.

Honestly I have no idea how to answer this. I have a bit more info than the average user I guess. But, its not like I have a whos who of chit chat guide. I have some theories that range from bland to strait up crazy conspiracy lady. Plus, it would be silly to think my modness has no effect on how people interact with me. So it could be a skewed perspective all around.
  • mustacheU2Lift
    Options
    I find it very interesting some of the responses from "loners" or those not belonging to a clique, who (in my observation) seem to have a few besties.

It seems like the chit chat wars are at a relative low right now. Hopefully it stays that way. I have not seen any truely horrendous stuff lately, I prefer it that way. And Im not talking as a nit picky mod, I have seen people do some really mean things to other posters on these boards :cry:

Well, i used the term loner...so i guess id be surprised if you felt that i was. But then maybe it proves the skewed view of what a clique is??

Its funny because I had been thinking you, 81katz, and justkeeptrying were a little group. I hesitate to use the word clique because of the negative connotation. But yall seem to get on pretty well.

Ummmm lol. I enjoy our banter...not sure we portray cliques. But funny take on it.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options

Why would being a moderator give someone a different perspective? Especially when similar comments were made by others who aren't moderators?

I may be way off, but I was told moderators have insight to the who and when of woo's, likes, hugs etc... Wouldn't that introduce an entirely new data set to review? Giving a better view of who is on what bandwagon?

I can see who reacts in what way. But, tbh, trying to figure out woo patterns is a deadly spiral, even when you can see who does it.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

I think they can see who does the emotions tag. But, I don't think that really sways their perspective of how a certain person is. At least, that's how it was for me when I used to be a moderator at other forums.
    For me, I always got into trouble because I would evenly enforce the rules and the forum owners/admins wanted me to give special treatment to their friends and little group/clique.
  • george5911
    Options

I can see who reacts in what way. But, tbh, trying to figure out woo patterns is a deadly spiral, even when you can see who does it.

Trying to figure out sure. I would think though that there has to be some stuff that just JUMPS out at you. But I'm not now nor have I ever been a mid so I'm really just talking out my fifth point of contact.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options

Just sayin'
    2danii.jpg
    Rats! You took mine! :wink:
  • mustacheU2Lift
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    Just sayin'
    2danii.jpg
    Rats! You took mine! :wink:

:D pretty much
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

Honestly I have no idea how to answer this. I have a bit more info than the average user I guess. But, its not like I have a whos who of chit chat guide. I have some theories that range from bland to strait up crazy conspiracy lady. Plus, it would be silly to think my modness has no effect on how people interact with me. So it could be a skewed perspective all around.

I know. If we woo you, you'll know who did it. I don't see why moderators get to see who presses what vote button when the rest of us don't. Is having such coveted knowledge used as an opportunity to pass judgment on a user when it comes time to hand out warnings, jailings or bans?

Oh and by the way - do you know how many threads got closed and users got jailed and banned as a result of contributing to threads with the "Sugar Addict" theme of yore?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBoJm8LxT5ez7nmGL7gPAfVWg9MaIq65RRxj2g0JHjQonmoVRHjg

Sometimes, extra privs like seeing who does what is a matter of the software itself and not a setting that is granted via the Admins. Some things just aren't worrying about, or thinking it's a conspiracy theory.
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    Teamleslie wrote: »
    Can someone jump me in one of these cliques?

@kinetixtrainer2 she wants to be jumped, you seem like a solid candidate

Wait!! I want in on some of that
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    Options

I know. If we woo you, you'll know who did it. I don't see why moderators get to see who presses what vote button when the rest of us don't. Is having such coveted knowledge used as an opportunity to pass judgment on a user when it comes time to hand out warnings, jailings or bans?

Oh and by the way - do you know how many threads got closed and users got jailed and banned as a result of contributing to threads with the "Sugar Addict" theme of yore?

Sometimes, extra privs like seeing who does what is a matter of the software itself and not a setting that is granted via the Admins. Some things just aren't worrying about, or thinking it's a conspiracy theory.

Not worried. Just pointing out an interesting factoid relating to principal and protocol.

The way I read it, it sounded like you were going off on a conspiracy theory...

Some things just happen for a reason. Part of the job of being a moderator, or admin of a board.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    theres team doritos, and then theres others

Team Doritos all the way! I don't have clique but I have the Doritos crew and my Swolemate Bestie <3
    Yep no clique here. Team doritos only

But i see massive amounts of cliques on this forum. Ill root for the underdogs

Can you give examples of the cliques that you see? I don't see "massive amounts."

I definitely see mostly the same people who will comment on the same kind of topic, but I don't view them as cliques.

Maybe everyone has diff opinions on what cliques is. But to me, i can write one comment and no one would giv a sh1t. Another person can write the same exact thing and all their buddies ( or to me , their “group” )will come out and have a 5 hour chat about it

Its why i dont even care to post much. Some peoples posts will get overlooked. Others will always get a response cause they r more popular

I think we all have posts that go overlooked. There are thousands of posts here every day - it's easy to get lost in the shuffle regardless of how many friends you've made here.

Could very well be the case. Which is all good. Not that i really care but i will say iv tried to participate in an on going conversation that has replies to a specific topic that was posted every minute and my comments were ignored. But the one right before mine and after? Nope. answered

Cant expect everyone to like ya (;

See you seem well loved to me too. My mind is melting in this thread.
  • george5911
    Options

Not worried. Just pointing out an interesting factoid relating to principal and protocol.

The way I read it, it sounded like you were going off on a conspiracy theory...

Some things just happen for a reason. Part of the job of being a moderator, or admin of a board.

to the haves, having that bit of extra may not seem like much. To the have nots, different story entirely.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    edited July 2018
    Options

I think its because we have to deal with the spam and abuse flags, and the other reactions are part of the same code. But I could be wrong. I find it slightly interesting who woos a warning post I sign as a mod. Thats the only time I care.

I dont understand the sugar addict part so rephrase if you want an answer to that
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options

Trying to figure out sure. I would think though that there has to be some stuff that just JUMPS out at you. But I'm not now nor have I ever been a mid so I'm really just talking out my fifth point of contact.

Well, there have been reaction trolls. Those jump out. Normal posters are pretty mixed reactors
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    What happened to the man nipples?