Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

That Keto is so hot right now

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I always thought Keto diet was a fad and also thought the high fat content could be bad in the long run. All of that changed when I happened across, by chance, a documentary "The Magic Pill". It totally fascinated me. There was a line where the author asked "Why is it that every animal on earth can regulate its body weight except man or any animal cared for by man?"
    It sealed the deal and got me to change my diet. I was already eating somewhat this way so all I need to do was reduce or give up bread (was 26g daily) and stop eating fries or chips with lunch. I just started and down 8 pounds so far.

yeah no....all documentaries should be viewed with a side-eye - as they present only one side of any debate (see also What the Health)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I always thought Keto diet was a fad and also thought the high fat content could be bad in the long run. All of that changed when I happened across, by chance, a documentary "The Magic Pill". It totally fascinated me. There was a line where the author asked "Why is it that every animal on earth can regulate its body weight except man or any animal cared for by man?"
    It sealed the deal and got me to change my diet. I was already eating somewhat this way so all I need to do was reduce or give up bread (was 26g daily) and stop eating fries or chips with lunch. I just started and down 8 pounds so far.

fat happens in other animals
    i've seen fat wild rabbits and deer. a few hefty seagulls

and definitely domestic animals get fat. i've seen obese dogs and cats. i know people who've had to lock up food otherwise canines would eat all the foods they could get their paws on.
    some of my dogs like broccoli some run and hide.
    some like bread and popcorn, some spit them out.
    one will sneak attack you for your twizzler, the other could care less.

we are not alone. but i think some of the question is availability
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I have a comment about keto. It's legit and I'd really like to hear from those in the know. I'm not one to pick on keto or ketoers. To each their own and I think people should talk about whatever eating style they want to talk about here, including elimination diets.

But when I first signed up on MFP 4+ years ago, keto was generally defined as 50 grams of carb a day or less. Over the years the keto definition has dropped about 10 grams of carb from the daily total every year.

Currently keto folk seem to define keto as 15 grams of carb a day. That's a far cry from 50 grams of carb a day. I've tried it and it feels completely different. It's the difference between eating two servings of fruit and two servings of non starchy vegetable a day to pretty much only having one serving of vegetable a day with no fruit at all or getting the 15 grams from small portions of dairy and nuts only.

I predict keto will eventually be defined as 5 grams of carb a day.

Why do the carb counts that supposedly define what is keto keep dropping?

My snarky answer would be that each of the diet gurus has to put his/her spin on it and thus the numbers differ... but I also know posters on these boards who reliably maintain ketosis at around 50g (or slightly more) of carbs a day with an active lifestyle and posters who have trouble when they get that high of a carb count, so it really is down to the individual and how their body responds to the process. From my understanding of the research the majority of people can reliably maintain ketosis at 20g of carbs and that may also be the reason for the drop in values.

I think that's mainly it. The duet gurus found a good number and not its out there.

When I started, there was Jimmy Moore touting keto as good. Now there are many more.

The doctors who are advocating for it don't seem as militant as just 20g for keto. It's the youtubers that go that way, IMO. Usually with too much of a tan and a t-shirt that is a size too small. ;)

To be fair, I think 20 g is a growing target due to the large amount of T2Ds who are using it to treat their IR. Around 50g (net or total) seems to work for most people to be in ketosis basically all of the time, but that might be too high for the T2Ds with a liver that's kicking out too much glucose.

And part of it is just that pendulum swing. Higher carb used to be the way to go - avoid those artery clogging fats! Now the pendulum has swung to the other side with fats being embraced, and healthy carbs being demonized by some.

I'd love to see default macros for the average kid and adult settle out at a zone type setting in between the high carb recommendations of over 50%, and Keto levels below 10%. I think around 30C, 30P, and 40F would be good for many.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    I'm guessing that some people are talking about total carbs, and others net carbs maybe?

Some say fiber should only be subtracted from fresh fruits, vegetables and nuts to tally the net. Not from processed foods such as yogurts (including frozen) or manufactured protein/keto bars.

This also more of a type 2 D issue. Processed net carbs seem to have a much higher than expected effect for some people. They end up with a BG reaction that is more linked to the total carbs, rather than the net. YMMV

Net carbs in general seem to be becoming more popular. Not as many seem to use total carbs now.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

fat happens in other animals
    i've seen fat wild rabbits and deer. a few hefty seagulls

and definitely domestic animals get fat. i've seen obese dogs and cats. i know people who've had to lock up food otherwise canines would eat all the foods they could get their paws on.
    some of my dogs like broccoli some run and hide.
    some like bread and popcorn, some spit them out.
    one will sneak attack you for your twizzler, the other could care less.

we are not alone. but i think some of the question is availability

I think some of the wild animals we see getting heavy are eating human food.

The seagulls - I'd guess would be a pretty sure thing that they were eating our food. Most deer around me, unless you go into the mountains, are grain fed or eat the cow's hay. I've never seen a fat hare... I can barely imagine it.

I think you are right in that a good part of it is availability. I would guess there are hyperpalatable foods for animals too.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    AYCE buffets

OMG what is this? A certain kind of buffet because I've never heard of it. Me and you should go and get our chow on there. I'll be nice.

all you can eat - is my assumption....(assuming this wasn't a sarcastic questoin)
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have tried Keto myself, it worked well. But I don't think there is agreement on long-term effect of keto diet. What I felt most important in my process of researching keto diet is "Eat Less Sugar". I think most people on this forum would say cutting out sugar and reduce simple carb is good.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    I have tried Keto myself, it worked well. But I don't think there is agreement on long-term effect of keto diet. What I felt most important in my process of researching keto diet is "Eat Less Sugar". I think most people on this forum would say cutting out sugar and reduce simple carb is good.

Not really, I would suggest for them to reduce their calories if they are not at a deficit and simply eat the foods that they enjoy as long as they meet their protein, fiber, micronutrients and of course they need to make sure that they are at a caloric deficit. If they meet all these requirements, I couldn't care less if the rest of their diet is made up of foods with high sugar and/or simple carbs (unless they have health issues that requires them to avoid them). I hate the all or nothing mentality. People tend to forget that there can be an in between too.

I hate the you must eat all foodz in moderation or consign yourself to inevitable failure mentality. People tend to forget the elimination approach is a viable method for those it aligns with.

You missed my point clearly or I clearly missed yours.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I wouldn't say that. I don't see what I would gain from cutting foods like blackberries, garbanzo beans, onions, tomatoes, and red cabbage from my diet (all foods with sugar). Same with simple carbohydrates -- I could cut them out, but why would I arbitrarily avoid things like sweet potatoes?

Sweet potatoes are complex carbs anyway, so you’re good. ;)

That aside, “cutting out sugar and reduce simple carb” is an overly broad suggestion which completely ignores context and dosage within the diet.

I was under the impression that at least some of the carbohydrates in sweet potatoes were considered simple carbohydrates, just as some of the carbohydrates in whole grain bread are. Is that not accurate?