Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

That Keto is so hot right now

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    AYCE sushi, done that. The owner asked us when we were leaving. LOL I’m sure they have our pic on their wall. “Do not serve these people”.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    AYCE buffets

OMG what is this? A certain kind of buffet because I've never heard of it. Me and you should go and get our chow on there. I'll be nice.

Well now I'm just sad. I thought we were going to go tear up the clamshack for chicken wings. :sad:
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

The SAD is known for the relative *lack* of whole grains, not an emphasis on them.

Granted, Wikipedia is not Gospel, but the following is quoted from there. I may be mistaken about what I said regarding "whole grains", but SAD carbs are really quite high.

"The typical American diet is about 50% carbohydrate, 15% protein, and 35% fat.[7] These macronutrient intakes fall within the Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Ranges (AMDR) for adults identified by the Food and Nutrition Board of the United States Institute of Medicine as "associated with reduced risk of chronic diseases while providing adequate intakes of essential nutrients," which are 45-65% carbohydrate, 10-35% protein, and 20-35% fat as a percentage of total energy.[8] However, the nutritional quality of the specific foods comprising those macronutrients is often poor..."

I'd say my carbs are probably around 50% or more and I wouldn't consider my diet anything close to what most people would consider the SAD. When I hear "SAD" I think of high quantities of low nutrient foods and a substantial lack of veg and fruit...not really a macro %. Most vegans and vegetarians eat well above 50% carbohydrate as well.

Yes, certain medical conditions require the monitoring of carbohydrates...but 50% for a healthy person, particularly if they're eating mostly higher quality carbohydrates isn't really an issue...there's nothing inherently wrong with carbohydrates, but on Facebook at what not, it is very apparent that many people can't seem to figure that out.

Most of my carbs come from whole foods...lots of legumes and lentils, oats, root vegies, veggies, fruit, etc.

Whats your fiber intake on 3000 cals with that many whole foods? On a side note, I know a few people who run glucose burning 6 months a year and keto 6 months a year. They are all into the primal thing. Kind of like some, I repeat some of our ancestors would have. Glucose for the happy times and keto to simulate more barren times of the year. Strange to me, but works for them.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    AYCE buffets

OMG what is this? A certain kind of buffet because I've never heard of it. Me and you should go and get our chow on there. I'll be nice.

Well now I'm just sad. I thought we were going to go tear up the clamshack for chicken wings. :sad:

We will. Anvil can drive because we'll just be too exhausted afterwards, but we'll show 'em how it's done.

Could I drive, and we can put Anvil on the pole?
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    AYCE buffets

We will. Anvil can drive because we'll just be too exhausted afterwards, but we'll show 'em how it's done.

Could I drive, and we can put Anvil on the pole?

You know I really wanted to say just this. But I thought he would get upset with me and read me the riot act. Or even complain to Stevie Closer. Thank you for conveying this. Because the sight, the wonder of it, would be beautiful and I would pay a $100 cover charge to see it.

You really just want to see them both dancing, don't you? Tricky, tricky, tricky.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    I have tried Keto myself, it worked well. But I don't think there is agreement on long-term effect of keto diet. What I felt most important in my process of researching keto diet is "Eat Less Sugar". I think most people on this forum would say cutting out sugar and reduce simple carb is good.

Not really, I would suggest for them to reduce their calories if they are not at a deficit and simply eat the foods that they enjoy as long as they meet their protein, fiber, micronutrients and of course they need to make sure that they are at a caloric deficit. If they meet all these requirements, I couldn't care less if the rest of their diet is made up of foods with high sugar and/or simple carbs (unless they have health issues that requires them to avoid them). I hate the all or nothing mentality. People tend to forget that there can be an in between too.

I hate the you must eat all foodz in moderation or consign yourself to inevitable failure mentality. People tend to forget the elimination approach is a viable method for those it aligns with.

Pointing out that there can be a moderate approach isn't the same thing as insisting that everyone *must* take a moderate approach.

Actually hate was the word he used. Not must.

"You must eat all foodz in moderation or consign yourself to inevitable failure"

I have never seen someone insisting that someone eat all foods in moderation. It's a ridiculous statement on its face. Given culture, geography, ethics, financial considerations, and taste preferences, nobody eats "all foods."

I was pointing out that they claim to hate an position that doesn't actually exist.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

The SAD is known for the relative *lack* of whole grains, not an emphasis on them.

Granted, Wikipedia is not Gospel, but the following is quoted from there. I may be mistaken about what I said regarding "whole grains", but SAD carbs are really quite high.

"The typical American diet is about 50% carbohydrate, 15% protein, and 35% fat.[7] These macronutrient intakes fall within the Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Ranges (AMDR) for adults identified by the Food and Nutrition Board of the United States Institute of Medicine as "associated with reduced risk of chronic diseases while providing adequate intakes of essential nutrients," which are 45-65% carbohydrate, 10-35% protein, and 20-35% fat as a percentage of total energy.[8] However, the nutritional quality of the specific foods comprising those macronutrients is often poor..."

I'd say my carbs are probably around 50% or more and I wouldn't consider my diet anything close to what most people would consider the SAD. When I hear "SAD" I think of high quantities of low nutrient foods and a substantial lack of veg and fruit...not really a macro %. Most vegans and vegetarians eat well above 50% carbohydrate as well.

Yes, certain medical conditions require the monitoring of carbohydrates...but 50% for a healthy person, particularly if they're eating mostly higher quality carbohydrates isn't really an issue...there's nothing inherently wrong with carbohydrates, but on Facebook at what not, it is very apparent that many people can't seem to figure that out.

Most of my carbs come from whole foods...lots of legumes and lentils, oats, root vegies, veggies, fruit, etc.

Whats your fiber intake on 3000 cals with that many whole foods? On a side note, I know a few people who run glucose burning 6 months a year and keto 6 months a year. They are all into the primal thing. Kind of like some, I repeat some of our ancestors would have. Glucose for the happy times and keto to simulate more barren times of the year. Strange to me, but works for them.

i used to be in the 3000cal range - my fiber would normally be in the 40-50g range - most of my carbs came from starches (rice, potatos, farro etc) - i discovered anything over 60g of fiber makes me REALLY uncomfortable - even after building it up - my goal is 15g fiber per 1000calories
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options