Should E-cigs be banned?

Options
123457»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    When it comes to e-cigs it's more about the tobacco industry wanting their cake and eating it too. They don't want to be labeled as a medical device, but market them as a method to quit smoking. The don't want to be called cigarettes because they means you are smoking, so they call it vaping. Both are methods to get around tobacco regulations and taxation. Thus, US jurisdictions are in a bind to address them because the FDA hasn't done so.

There has been a lot of efforts around the social norm change (smoking is not as common as it used to be), so seeing someone "vaping" would change the norm. Kids don't know the difference between an e-cig and a regular one so what message does that send when they observe it? Too, what adult thinks candy apple is a good flavor for anything other than candy? Not many..... These products are marketed to children.

If they are an effective method to quit smoking - put the peer reviewed research out there, register them pharmaceutical products and go on your merry way. Truth is, most folks aren't quitting - they are switching - and simply using the e-cigs where traditional cigarettes are not allowed, while still smoking when they can. Along with the dual use, you have lots of young people who pick up the product because they are told that it is safer. Despite what the labels say, the FDA found several of them marked as being nicotine free - actually had nicotine in them. Nicotine is what is addictive and not the random assortment of other things found in traditional cigarettes.

More research is needed, but I won't be a guinea pig.

The tobacco companies have nothing to do with e-cigs.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I hope they are banned in public places and treated the same as cigarettes. I do think they present a much better alternative, though I still wouldn't want to see them in malls, eateries, etc.

Why?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I got to the end of this thread and my only real opinion was, "PLEASE, SOMEONE, EXPLAIN TO THAT PERSON WHAT 'MOOT' IS!!!!"

Damnit.

Okay. Wait. I lied: Opinion Forming. Honestly, I don't see the logic behind banning ecigs, as they don't produce smoke, or a bad smell, or anything that could reasonably be considered offensive to anyone else other than the fact that they sort of, sometimes, look like cigarettes. I don't get why we would even have the discussion (on a legal level) about banning ecigs when there are so many other- far more harmful- things out there that are not banned.

There were two people who clearly didn't get what Moot is and chose to get mad at me instead thinking I came in here shushing people.

As for you....it gave me a little literary pleasure to watch your opinion "forming" seemingly out of thin air kind of like the reverse of when smoke dissipates. I found it poetic. :drinker: and it may have changed my opinion about a ban while not changing my opinion about stinky things.
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I got to the end of this thread and my only real opinion was, "PLEASE, SOMEONE, EXPLAIN TO THAT PERSON WHAT 'MOOT' IS!!!!"

Damnit.

Okay. Wait. I lied: Opinion Forming. Honestly, I don't see the logic behind banning ecigs, as they don't produce smoke, or a bad smell, or anything that could reasonably be considered offensive to anyone else other than the fact that they sort of, sometimes, look like cigarettes. I don't get why we would even have the discussion (on a legal level) about banning ecigs when there are so many other- far more harmful- things out there that are not banned.

There were two people who clearly didn't get what Moot is and chose to get mad at me instead thinking I came in here shushing people.

As for you....it gave me a little literary pleasure to watch your opinion "forming" seemingly out of thin air kind of like the reverse of when smoke dissipates. I found it poetic. :drinker: and it may have changed my opinion about a ban while not changing my opinion about stinky things.

I guess most folks missed my sarcasm. Thats ok. Please remember you were the one that started this crap with your pretty pictures lol. SO it is your fault in the end that this got side tracked. Just sayin.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I hope they are banned in public places and treated the same as cigarettes. I do think they present a much better alternative, though I still wouldn't want to see them in malls, eateries, etc.

Why?

Because it looks too much like smoking...*gasp* INDOORS.

Why this is a problem, I don't know.