The art of conversation

Replies

• acnoyes
    acnoyes Posts: 151 Member
    edited July 2018
    bhadbahabi wrote: »
    It's impossible to have a conversation with me.

Oh really? Why? Oops...sorry...answering would be a conversation... ;):)
  • bhadbahabi
    bhadbahabi Posts: 575 Member
    acnoyes wrote: »
    bhadbahabi wrote: »
    It's impossible to have a conversation with me.

Oh really? Why?

I'm a millennial
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    I think so many people are always in a rush and don't have time

I talk to lots of people. I made friendswirj drugstore, now hardware store Wolverine. He asks after my family, he's told me about his. He tells me what he's lifting and eating and what he weighs.

I think the art of convos is just dying cause we don't have time. I have lots of time so I talk.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    AliNouveau wrote: »

I talk to lots of people. I made friendswirj drugstore, now hardware store Wolverine. He asks after my family, he's told me about his. He tells me what he's lifting and eating and what he weighs.

I think the art of convos is just dying cause we don't have time. I have lots of time so I talk.

I think people have more time than they are willing to admit. If we spent less doing certain things that didn't matter in the long run, we would find we had way more free time than we previously thought.

Most of the time (and mind you, this is just anecdotal), people say they don't have time when in reality, they are using it as an excuse to actively not engage because using their cellphones or computers at home have become more important and possibly comforting. I do not know, however, if they are running from actual conversation because it doesn't interest them, they find some comfort in isolating themselves or if they have anxiety issues.

But very few people who say they "don't have time" actually have more time than they let on. I'm guilty of this; I'm sure I'm not alone.
  • AliNouveau

I think people have more time than they are willing to admit. If we spent less doing certain things that didn't matter in the long run, we would find we had way more free time than we previously thought.

Most of the time (and mind you, this is just anecdotal), people say they don't have time when in reality, they are using it as an excuse to actively not engage because using their cellphones or computers at home have become more important and possibly comforting. I do not know, however, if they are running from actual conversation because it doesn't interest them, they find some comfort in isolating themselves or if they have anxiety issues.

But very few people who say they "don't have time" actually have more time than they let on. I'm guilty of this; I'm sure I'm not alone.

You have a point but many do overload their schedules. We want to do it all, heaven forbid we miss out on an experience.

We're in Saskatchewan right now and have been in small towns. We went for a walk with someone for her to shown us something we were looking for. It was so quaint and nice
  • KosmosKitten

You have a point but many do overload their schedules. We want to do it all, heaven forbid we miss out on an experience.

We're in Saskatchewan right now and have been in small towns. We went for a walk with someone for her to shown us something we were looking for. It was so quaint and nice

I suppose. I do not know what that's like unless it's in relation to crafts/art, lol. I make myself a list for every day and pretty rigidly stick to it, but do not schedule multiple appt. for myself in a day.

It helps that I work from home and do my own thing, though.. so I get time to people watch and interact. :)
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,370 Member

A bit off the point but confirming the power of talking on a device as opposed to in person. I saw a mother the other day walking through a crowded shopping center texting on her phone and completely ignoring her little girl of around 4 who was trailing further and further behind. Anyone could have walked off with her. It hurt my heart that her mum's texting was more important than that little girls safety in a crowded place.

In a similar vein, today I was walking behind a fellow and his little girl, she was probably about 3 or 4 years old. They headed into a school playground. My first thought was, awww, that's so sweet, daddy taking his daughter to the playground. As soon as they stepped off the sidewalk the little girl ran to the climbing equipment... and dad immediately glued himself to (reading) his phone. Dude, maybe you should pay a little more attention to what your youngster is doing?

I'm starting to think that maybe little text bites are what passes for conversation these days? I've heard several people complain about people asking questions to which they could just google the answer. Whatever happened to hearing (and appreciating) another person's wisdom or expertise on a topic, instead of reading it on a web page? Instead it seems to be viewed as a waste of time to actually have a personal dialogue about something.
  • AliNouveau

I suppose. I do not know what that's like unless it's in relation to crafts/art, lol. I make myself a list for every day and pretty rigidly stick to it, but do not schedule multiple appt. for myself in a day.

It helps that I work from home and do my own thing, though.. so I get time to people watch and interact. :)

I get stressed when i have a schedule to stick to. I get really anxious when inhave time constraints. I have lots of neighbourhood mom friends who rattle off their schedules and it's insane. One boy we get for playdates often because the mom is off with the other two brothers for hockey. Seems like they're always rushing around.

I'd be miserable living like that
  • KosmosKitten

I get stressed when i have a schedule to stick to. I get really anxious when inhave time constraints. I have lots of neighbourhood mom friends who rattle off their schedules and it's insane. One boy we get for playdates often because the mom is off with the other two brothers for hockey. Seems like they're always rushing around.

Eh, it's more like a "to do" list than a schedule. I just make sure I don't actually schedule multiple appointments in the same day if I have to go/be somewhere.

I have a kid, but I haven't figured out this weird thing other moms do where they schedule their kids for all these random after school activities so they aren't home until well after 7PM every night. Seems way more stressful to me than necessary. If the kid was interested in the activity, I would understand.. but we're talking about classes and things that the parents decided the child should take, but that maybe he or she isn't old enough to really appreciate or be interested in it. Just seems more like busywork.
  • AliNouveau

Eh, it's more like a "to do" list than a schedule. I just make sure I don't actually schedule multiple appointments in the same day if I have to go/be somewhere.

I have a kid, but I haven't figured out this weird thing other moms do where they schedule their kids for all these random after school activities so they aren't home until well after 7PM every night. Seems way more stressful to me than necessary. If the kid was interested in the activity, I would understand.. but we're talking about classes and things that the parents decided the child should take, but that maybe he or she isn't old enough to really appreciate or be interested in it. Just seems more like busywork.

I let my boy pretty much pick what he wants to do. I'm kind of a hippie that way? Also if he doesn't feel like going chances are I don't so we skip it. I'm a terrible parent.
  • KosmosKitten

I let my boy pretty much pick what he wants to do. I'm kind of a hippie that way? Also if he doesn't feel like going chances are I don't so we skip it. I'm a terrible parent.

Cool. We can be terrible together as this is pretty much what I do. He hasn't expressed interest in much outside of swimming, video games and LEGOs, so that's what we do together. If it changes and he wants to play sports or try out an after school class, I'll give it a shot.. but so far? Nah.
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member

We are pretty much polar opposites. The only way I could get through most of my days is through scheduling. Not only having a plan what I need to do, but a plan on how I'm going to do it. Years ago I went to a business seminar and they told me, don't get through your day by accident, make a plan and go for it. Even if something happens and you need to deviate from the original plan, most days you will not believe how much you can get done.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    People have time. When I was working 2 jobs and going to school I still made time for important people. Most adults probably dont want to or cant stay on the phone for hours but I think problems with communication nowadays boil down to people just beimg lazy.
  • skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,404 Member
    ythannah wrote: »

A bit off the point but confirming the power of talking on a device as opposed to in person. I saw a mother the other day walking through a crowded shopping center texting on her phone and completely ignoring her little girl of around 4 who was trailing further and further behind. Anyone could have walked off with her. It hurt my heart that her mum's texting was more important than that little girls safety in a crowded place.

In a similar vein, today I was walking behind a fellow and his little girl, she was probably about 3 or 4 years old. They headed into a school playground. My first thought was, awww, that's so sweet, daddy taking his daughter to the playground. As soon as they stepped off the sidewalk the little girl ran to the climbing equipment... and dad immediately glued himself to (reading) his phone. Dude, maybe you should pay a little more attention to what your youngster is doing?

Ehh, I’ve got 4 kids. I’m with them all the time. They get plenty of love and attention and interaction, but I’m also a big believer in fostering independence and solo play and letting them learn and explore on their own. Kids learn best through play and they thrive on the freedom to play without someone guiding them and hovering over them.

At the age of the kid in your story, I’d absolutely let them play on an appropriate playground while I sat a short distance away and scrolled or texted or talked to someone. Now my youngest is 7 and they’re all very strong swimmers, so I’ll even take them to the neighborhood pool and take a book rather than getting in with them sometimes.

Even if I don’t look like I’m paying attention, I’m always aware of where they are, what they’re up to, and who’s around them. I won’t refuse if they ask me to come play with them for a while, but I like for them to have the chance to learn how to do their own thing. Learning to make decisions and deal with the consequences of those decisions is important, so I prefer to give them the space and freedom to do so and don’t intervene unless they’re making choices that could be harmful to someone.
  • KosmosKitten
    skctilidie wrote: »

Ehh, I’ve got 4 kids. I’m with them all the time. They get plenty of love and attention and interaction, but I’m also a big believer in fostering independence and solo play and letting them learn and explore on their own. Kids learn best through play and they thrive on the freedom to play without someone guiding them and hovering over them.

At the age of the kid in your story, I’d absolutely let them play on an appropriate playground while I sat a short distance away and scrolled or texted or talked to someone. Now my youngest is 7 and they’re all very strong swimmers, so I’ll even take them to the neighborhood pool and take a book rather than getting in with them sometimes.

Even if I don’t look like I’m paying attention, I’m always aware of where they are, what they’re up to, and who’s around them. I won’t refuse if they ask me to come play with them for a while, but I like for them to have the chance to learn how to do their own thing. Learning to make decisions and deal with the consequences of those decisions is important, so I prefer to give them the space and freedom to do so and don’t intervene unless they’re making choices that could be harmful to someone.

Welp, I found my mommy spirit animal. :lol:

Can't imagine four kiddos though. One is a handful on his own!
  • AliNouveau
    bojack5 wrote: »

We are pretty much polar opposites. The only way I could get through most of my days is through scheduling. Not only having a plan what I need to do, but a plan on how I'm going to do it. Years ago I went to a business seminar and they told me, don't get through your day by accident, make a plan and go for it. Even if something happens and you need to deviate from the original plan, most days you will not believe how much you can get done.

There's a reason I'm not in the business world. I get lots done most days. Just the things I do don't really need scheduling
  • AliNouveau

Cool. We can be terrible together as this is pretty much what I do. He hasn't expressed interest in much outside of swimming, video games and LEGOs, so that's what we do together. If it changes and he wants to play sports or try out an after school class, I'll give it a shot.. but so far? Nah.

My child skips his skating lessons lots cause I can teach him and I hate sitting with the skating moms. He'll do computer classes and swimming because I can't teach him that since he's a better swimmer than I
  • KosmosKitten

My child skips his skating lessons lots cause I can teach him and I hate sitting with the skating moms. He'll do computer classes and swimming because I can't teach him that since he's a better swimmer than I

Ice or roller?
  • AliNouveau
    edited July 2018

Ice or roller?

Ice, I used to teach if only he'd listen to me
  • skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,404 Member
    skctilidie wrote: »

Welp, I found my mommy spirit animal. :lol:

Can't imagine four kiddos though. One is a handful on his own!

There’s a little over 11 years between my oldest and youngest, which helped. Now if I could just get the big one to learn to drive and coerce him into doing some of the chauffeuring for the younger ones’ activities (one goes to a coding/robotics club while the other two live for soccer), life would be pretty grand.