• JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Thanks @karenesg!
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    Happy Monday everyone. Hope those of you that had the goal to be AF were able to stick to it! I was definitely challenged this weekend, as I had some extra calories and did a bunch of work on the house in hot, humid weather. This is typically the time when I'd slug 3-4 beers before even thinking about anything else. The thought crossed my mind, but I'm committed to my current goal and had a couple of diet cokes instead.

A big well done!!!, you must feel good about that. I'm really happy for you because the experience of victory is awesome and once you've experienced it once it will be in your mind to remember next time when your in the same situation.
    You than choose what u want victory or failure.
    I'm not saying if you have alcohol u have planned it is failure, no. If u planned it, that's different.
    Well done again, thanks for sharing.
  • ElC_76
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    OK, I logged my breakfast this morning and will get back to logging all my food, although I have trouble logging because I tend to eat things like "thinkly shaved zucchini spread with hummus" and have trouble figuring out how to log that and amounts, etc. The good thing is that I didn't have to pre-log my 3 (ha!!!) glasses of wine. First of all, it was never three, and second of all, the "glasses" were not exactly regulation.

<3 one step at a time.. :)
  • ElC_76
    Options
    ktc1968 wrote: »
    Happy August, even though it is August 13th today will be day 1 AF. I look forward to day 2.

All the best.. we are a team. We r stronger that way.. :)
  • ElC_76
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    I was just exploring Australia's official health site, and read a good tip for controlling your drinking.

"Keep track of your drinking habits. Instead of relying on memory, jot down your drinks in a diary to see exactly how much and how often you drink."

Logging in MFP should really help with this. You're all logging, right? :smile:

Or you might find it easier to start a spreadsheet or notebook. I find keeping statistics is a way of keeping honest with myself.

I started this back in Jan a little notepad next to my bed with three columns for each month:
    AF, A, #. I like being able to see the tallies throughout the month, like to be able to quickly figure out my average number of drinks per drinking day and per week.

My moderation goal is more AF days than drinking days for the month, less than 3 drinks/day on the drinking days and less than 10 drinks/week.

I thought I would not track it after a few months but just like with MFP food tracking I find it more comfortable to track it than not now that it’s a habit.

That's such a great idea. Thanks for sharing. <3
  • ElC_76
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    I just read a statistic that 7-12 percent of the population (depends on the source it ranged from 7-12) in America are Alcoholics. So, that means 90 percent of you aren’t and can continue to moderate successfully. That’s good news. Many of you have set your limits/goals and continue to meet them. I’m happy you can moderate; I wish I could. Sending @SpanishFusion another hug I’m sure the weekend was difficult. @karenesg It may take some ups and downs on your journey, but eventually you will find what works for you. Like @lorrainequiche59 says think of it in small terms. Just like our weight loss goals can be too daunting if we think of losing 50 pounds, Instead I think of ten pounds at a time. Good night my friends. Xo

Thankyou, that's really helpful. It's good to see u :)<3
  • karenesg
    karenesg Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    @karenesg I'm in the same boat. Once I drink one then that opens the floodgates. For ME, alcohol wants more alcohol. Much easier to have none than one. Anyway last night we went out for wings and I really felt like a beer, mainly for the taste...I like beer with wings or crabs, but had an O'Douhls (alcohol free beer). I hope that wasn't cheating. I had one and it was filling so that was that. So I still consider myself AF. 13 days now. I haven't done that many since I took a month off in 2013. It feels nice to wake up not wondering if I embarrassed myself, not hung over or tired, and remembering everything about the day before.

@JenT304 – Thanks for your response. Yup, same for me… one is never enough. Actually that’s not right… one is too much and everything after that is not enough. I think I can deal with the anxiety of NOT drinking better than the troubles of continuing to drink. I am on day 2 AF. Will be lurking on The Sober Squad but still hanging out here too. Awesome that you switched out beer and had an O’Douls. Not cheating at all. Hope all is continuing well for you B)
  • karenesg
    karenesg Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    karenesg wrote: »
    Moderation isn't working for me right now but committing to AF sounds daunting.

Perhaps it sounds daunting if you're thinking of forever. It may help if you just think about today or this moment. It can also seem daunting if you feel like you're going it alone or depending on willpower. Obviously, by sharing you're reaching out & as others have said above there is a lot of resources to help you. Annie Grace has a 30-day Alcohol Experiment that can guide you day by day. She doesn't pressure or guilt/shame a person. Just informs & supports. It's worth checking out if you're looking for some help. Hoping you find your way. :)

@lorrainequiche59 – Yes, my all or nothing thinking overwhelmes me! I’ll be checking out some of the resources you and others have recommended. Thanks very much for your support. <3
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,170 Member
    Options
    @andysport1 I admire your determination- I live with someone who is a daily drinker and it doesn't phase me (sometimes I get a little jealous but remind myself that his and my brain is different when it comes to alcohol). Stay strong Andy. Xo
    P.s. My therapist told me that relapse happens hours before you actually drink. So stay vigilant if abstinence is your goal.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,170 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies just sending you a little message; I haven't seen you post lately and hope you are alright. If you're taking a break from us, no worries. But just wanted to make sure you're doing ok.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    @ELC_76 , Thanks for your support. I always enjoy reading your messages, as your insight is typically quite helpful!
  • ElC_76
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    @ELC_76 , Thanks for your support. I always enjoy reading your messages, as your insight is typically quite helpful!

Your welcome and thankyou.
    I have found others here extremely supportive in times of my need too.
    I'm glad to be able to help where I can.
    All the best @JohnBarth .
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,551 Member
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    I admire your determination- I live with someone who is a daily drinker and it doesn't phase me (sometimes I get a little jealous but remind myself that his and my brain is different when it comes to alcohol)

(Just thought I would pop in, since I am more a post reading lurker these days.)
    This is and always has been my biggest struggle. I KNOW I am fine and can go without or even have one drink every now and then. But the constant reminder that it is being taken out of the frig or poured or ordered by my DH is a reminder of the old me. A person I am trying to eliminate from my present life.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    @MissMay and @RubyRed427 I live with a near daily drinker as well. I have made a commitment to sobriety and he has not. I cannot change him. I can only be in charge of me. Annie Grace has a great youtube video about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX7YvkzRQC8
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,551 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jent304 that was a very good ear full and Annie Grace is awesome. By now I should be "used" to his drinking and it should not bother me because I know I am making positive changes for me. I just wish the positive changes for for US. I will keep l plugging along. <3
  • ktc1968
    ktc1968 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you for comments, all I drink is red wine and allot of it. Yes one is never enough and it is hard to just stop at one so you're right, better to not start. I do all of the right things, I eat healthy, workout 6-7 days a week but being single makes this my struggle. I have poor sleeping habits meaning I am lucky if I get a full 6 hours of sleep. Ongoing support is great, thank you all.
  • ElC_76
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    @MissMay and @RubyRed427 I live with a near daily drinker as well. I have made a commitment to sobriety and he has not. I cannot change him. I can only be in charge of me. Annie Grace has a great youtube video about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX7YvkzRQC8

Thanku Jen,.. that's is really helpful and enlightening.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I've been reading about epigenetics, and came across this:

("Epigenetics is the study of mechanisms that switch genes on or off. It is involved in every aspect of life and such reversible, potentially heritable changes affect the way we live as well as our future generations.")

https://www.whatisepigenetics.com/how-understanding-an-individuals-epigenetics-can-help-measure-and-treat-addiction/

Some snippets:

"alcohol addiction has a genetic component and that those with one parent who is addicted to alcohol have a 25 percent risk of developing a similar condition."

"Epigenetic change occurs regularly and naturally and is affected by a number of factors like age, environment, lifestyle and the state of the disease. Of particular interest is how the environment influences epigenetic changes. In ‘epigenetic terms,’ environment means practically everything around the individual: toxins, drug and alcohol abuse, pollution, economic status, exercise, nutrition, stress, trauma, overwork et cetera."

"In some studies that showed how epigenetics affects addiction, neuroscientists demonstrated that heavy cocaine and alcohol dependence modifies the chemical makeup around particular genes that protect against addiction.

In a study on heavy alcohol use, it reveals that once these defensive genetic structures were regulated differently, they never recovered fully and alcoholism is triggered. The researchers at the University of California- San Francisco said this mechanism may explain why 10 percent of the population have alcohol use disorder and the study may help develop future medications to treat serious diseases."

==

This gives an insight on how it's much harder for a few than for others.

But I love how most of us can switch off genes and overcome addiction if we take a multi-pronged approach to our environment.