Less Alcohol - August 2018 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I have a thread going under challenges called The Sober Squad - Alcohol Free Living. Those wishing to live alcohol free are welcome. Best of luck to those that wish to continue to drink in moderation. I'm not able to to do that so I started a thread where we support each other in our sobriety. The back and forth of "alcohol is poison/no it isn't its fine" etc. is getting to be too much for me. Please join us if you feel this would be a better fit for you. <3
  • hwg63
    hwg63 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @Orphia I am sorry about your friend.
  • pjmfitforme
    pjmfitforme Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread. I joined because I wanted accountability in my quest for moderation. My goal is AF Sunday through Thursday and moderate drinking Friday and Saturday. This is week 2 and I really like this new lifestyle. I will say I thought the scale would move more with less alcohol, but that is okay. I know my liver is happy with this new lifestyle. Not sure I will ever be completely AF- but for now, this new approach seems to be the perfect solution for me!
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    ElC_76 wrote: »
    Why do I always go to type alcholol or something similar?

See, alchol always comes out!!!

"coh" is not a logical thing to type. :smiley:

Anyone else making similar typos?

Haha... Its always on your mind, 'one track mind' at the moment anyway.. Lol

No, I'm not always typing alcohol. I'm just always making typos when I do have to type alcohol.

Sorry, just found out the running friend who inspired me to quit alcohol with his post about being kind to "Tomorrow You" passed away suddenly on Friday. :'(

For now, I'm sad.

But Tomorrow Me will get up early with no regrets or hangover, and just run for the love of it all.

Hugs to you.. U have the right idea.

Going for a run is the best for everything.. enjoy. Xo
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    @Orphia I'm so sorry that your friend passed away. My deepest sympathies to you.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I’ve been lurking since July. AF day 28. I’m not sure if I want it or need it to be a permanent state, but I’m enjoying the benefits. Attending a wedding this weekend. I don’t know anyone there and my social anxiety is kicking in. How did everyone here decide if moderation was all they wanted or if they’d stop altogether? SO confused and a little afraid right now. Advice appreciated, as I appreciate all the posts here.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I’ve been lurking since July. AF day 28. I’m not sure if I want it or need it to be a permanent state, but I’m enjoying the benefits. Attending a wedding this weekend. I don’t know anyone there and my social anxiety is kicking in. How did everyone here decide if moderation was all they wanted or if they’d stop altogether? SO confused and a little afraid right now. Advice appreciated, as I appreciate all the posts here.

@Mithridites Welcome, and hugs!!

I had my first AF day on February 1, and I'm still going.

I still haven't decided if I'll drink again.

I kept thinking I'd do it for a special occasion, but my birthday came and went, my renovations were completed, I did my 50 km run, but I kept finding that I enjoyed the feeling of celebration more than I wanted to combine it with the feeling of drinking.

I still don't know if I'll want the feeling of drinking again, and I'm not going to worry that I don't know.

I'm just enjoying life, one day at a time, and doing nice things every day to stay happy and healthy.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Thanks for all the sympathy! :heart:

I had an awesome 30 km run in memory of him, and my friend continues to inspire me.
  • Mithridites
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @Orphia : Thank you for the welcome and my condolences for your loss.
    I'm having a hard time deciding. If anyone else has helpful insights you could also PM me, if you're concerned about disturbing the harmonious vibe. I get that it's a very personal decision, based on personal experiences and self-knowledge. I know that I don't want to over-indulge in public nor indulge alone at all. How do you know if you are able and/or able to moderate? Being completely AF for a month has been a good feeling.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    How do you know if you are able and/or able to moderate? Being completely AF for a month has been a good feeling.

In January, my intention was to moderate. I enjoy a nice glass of wine and felt that indulging in that pleasure occasionally would be ideal. I only came to the conclusion that I personally cannot moderate after numerous (at least 10) attempts to drink in moderation quickly deteriorated into fairly extreme over-indulgence, hangovers, regret, nausea, etc., etc. That is not the experience I observe in those closest to me--my husband and mom. They truly drink moderately and enjoy their drink and then move on. That's just my anecdotal experience. I don't know if it is helpful for you. Best wishes!

• SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    @Mithridites, Ditto Donimfp. Maybe it has something to do with our age. I'm almost 55. I spent 10 years trying everything I could think of to drink in moderation. It never worked for me. I wish I had just quit then instead of wasting money and my health. Plus it was exhausting trying to manage it. "Can I have 2? Wait, what day of the week is it? Is it a drinking day?" etc. The last time I intended to drink one glass of wine I drank the whole bottle. So I'm just finding it easier to keep it out of my mouth altogether. Of course I do know people that don't have this issue and can just have one. I'm just not that person.
  • Orphia
    Options
    @Orphia : Thank you for the welcome and my condolences for your loss.
    I'm having a hard time deciding. If anyone else has helpful insights you could also PM me, if you're concerned about disturbing the harmonious vibe. I get that it's a very personal decision, based on personal experiences and self-knowledge. I know that I don't want to over-indulge in public nor indulge alone at all. How do you know if you are able and/or able to moderate? Being completely AF for a month has been a good feeling.

Like being sober, moderation is still one day at a time.

I find it easiest not to think in black and white, and not define myself by any labels.

I'm just enjoying right now, while being kind to Tomorrow Me.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    ElC_76 wrote: »
    Why do I always go to type alcholol or something similar?

See, alchol always comes out!!!

"coh" is not a logical thing to type. :smiley:

Anyone else making similar typos?

Haha... Its always on your mind, 'one track mind' at the moment anyway.. Lol

No, I'm not always typing alcohol. I'm just always making typos when I do have to type alcohol.

Sorry, just found out the running friend who inspired me to quit alcohol with his post about being kind to "Tomorrow You" passed away suddenly on Friday. :'(

For now, I'm sad.

But Tomorrow Me will get up early with no regrets or hangover, and just run for the love of it all.

Sorry for your loss.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Hope everyone is doing OK.

:heart:
  • Gingergal12
    Gingergal12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Still practicing mindful moderation, feeling good about my choice...less is better than more
    Miss the activity on this thread, hope it sticks around since it’s been helpful to us for months
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I miss the activity on both threads,this and the sober squad :'(
  • Mithridites
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input. I had 1.5 drinks at the wedding while others overindulged. We left early-ish and had a very nice evening together at home, restful sleep and a healthy morning. I've decided to restart AF until our vacation in 2 weeks, when I will reevaluate.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,554 Member
    Options
    Can not remember when I last chimed in. I want this thread to keep active as well, since this is the one that truly has brought around the change in my life.
    Mindfully moderating when I "do" have alcohol. 100 times better than the past and that is what I have always strived for.
    Because for me, LESS is more.