Help! My fridge is overrun with zucchini!

Options

Replies

• desert_mom
    desert_mom Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump because there are about 9 zucchini in my fridge right now!
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I love zucchini, but have been sort of limited in experimenting with different recipes. Lots of good suggestions, everyone!

As for me, I love allrecipes.com for just browsing - thousands of recipes with user reviews/suggestions, as well as a pretty decent search tool for narrowing down ingredients you want or don't want.

And ways I love to eat it already?

Breaded and baked zucchini slices - seasoned bread crumbs, salt, pepper, garlic & onion powders, cayenne, a little parmesan, Whatever sounds good - then spray with olive oil or Pam and bake until lovely. :) You can fry these in a little oil or butter if you prefer.

Zucchini fries - sort of the same approach, but with bigger pieces and no breading, or maybe just a little flour or cornstarch.

I LOVE zucchini in veggie omelets or in scrambled eggs with garlic - simple and so good. One of my favorite omelets is one egg and three egg whites, mushroom, zucchini, spinach, garlic, onion or onion powder, turmeric, salt, cayenne, and shredded parmesan or pepper jack. A little tiny bit of ham is really good and goes a long way for flavor if you're a meat eater.

Zucchini in place of pasta in your favorite dish.

Zucchini boats - cut in half lengthwise and fill with other veggies, seasonings, italian sausage, pasta sauce, again whatever you like. Bake in the oven until texture is right. You may need to pre-cook other ingredients, depending on what you choose.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through the thread to see if someone already suggested this, so if this is a repeat, I apologize.

If you make fruit smoothies at all (that is what I have for breakfast) than put some in your smoothy. Zucchini is so mild, the fruit flavors cover it all. Plus it means that an extra vegetable serving was snuck in. Recently I have been putting kale in my smothies and I have also put in spinach. Zucchini is by far the best since you don't even know that it is there.

Oh, good suggestion. I have tried beets, spinach, and kale in smoothies, but never zucchini. I would totally try that....and definitely second the experience that you don't taste the veggies with the fruit in there.
  • chaosbutterfly
    chaosbutterfly Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you can't fashion zucchini boats, slice them into 1/2" thick rounds. Hollow out the seeded part, put them it on parchment paper and put mozzarella cheese inside, spoon some pizza sauce in, sprinkle a little more cheese and some oregano on the top and pop them in the oven until melty at 350 for pizzucchini.

You are a genius.
  • NekoMyrrh
    NekoMyrrh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've fallen in love with this Marinated Zucchini Salad, I make it just about every week if I have any extra zucchini or summer squash in the fridge.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/17/health/nutrition/17recipehealth.html
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I know this will only scrape the surface but tomorrow I plan on making wraps with finely chopped zucchini, black beans, shredded cheese, corn and salsa. Coincidence? I think not!:)
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bump, they are coming in from everyone.
  • 2720cynthia
    2720cynthia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow I hope to make zucchini relish with onions & peppers and can it. It is from my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Slice it right down the middle, longways. Add your fave pizza toppings & then place in the oven for a bit .... low cal pizza.

Or send some my way. I love them.
  • artsyparts
    artsyparts Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've come up with a tasty side dish for pork using finely chopped zucchini. Using a teaspoon of sesame oil in a nonstick skillet, I cook the zucchini with chopped onion and as it's cooking I sprinkle on about a teaspoon of Alpine Spiced Apple Cider sugar free drink mix powder. Gives it a very delicate apple taste. Then I season it with lemon pepper. Sometimes I stir fry pieces of pork in the sesame oil first, then add the onion and zucchini and spices.

I have 15 med and large zucchini in my fridge right now...a good year in the garden - so I keep a large container of the finely chopped squash (chopped in my Vitamix blender) so I can just scoop out a bit to throw into just about anything. I made a Chicken Korma with an Indian simmer sauce - and through in zucchini.

My current favorite is throwing several cupfuls into a Jiffy Cornbread mix, instead of the milk, and adding an egg and a little cheese. Makes a nice moist cornbread casserole.

I think of zucchini as a chameleon vegetable easily disguised into just about any dish. Have fun experimenting!
  • needlessofme12
    Options
    Zuccini summer squash onion tomatoe and cheese layered in a pan on med heat for 18 minutes then use a slated spoon to serve
  • karmahunger
    karmahunger Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Three words: raw zucchini pasta :)

SOOOOO tasty!!!!
  • LeboMatho
    LeboMatho Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • millie916
    Options
    I chunk up the end of large zucchini and throw it in my morning smoothie to add a little more texture. It doesn't change the flavor, just make sure you are using some kind of fruit that you like!
  • Ennaelangels
    Ennaelangels Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Saving for later, bump!
  • glickjm
    glickjm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bowlofpeaches
    bowlofpeaches Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've heard switching regular pasta noodles to zucchini is delish!! here's a recipe!!! the picture looks mouthwatering!!!

http://www.fitsugar.com/Paleo-Zucchini-Pasta-Recipe-30533896
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    A "giant" zucchini is not going to have a nice flavor. I would save the seeds for planting next year and cut the rest up to throw out in the woods for the deer. :ohwell: :flowerforyou:
  • Shortjay25
    Options
    Dice up with yellow squash, diced tomato, onion, garlic, and a sprinkle of black pepper. Saute in a little EVOO over med heat.
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    This is awesome. We had it the other night:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823248-zucchini-pizza-crust