August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    So im too lazy to go back half way through last months thread. Hit me with your sock recommendations. I cot some New Balance ones but I keep getting blisters in my instep. Time to get proper ones.

Anyone heard of steigen?

Love Steigen socks! My default running socks.

I hate dog owners who let their dogs run loose and then tell me, "It's ok... he won't bite you." My standard response is "Ok.. but if he tries, you will have to get a new dog." Problem is that most loose dogs I encounter are just roaming freely as houses are scattered about a half mile apart from each other I never see possible owners out when I am running. So I am stuck trying to resolve issues on my own. Most times I can get them to back down, but some of those A-hole dogs are effing persistent. Dogs are undoubtedly my number one pet peeve as a runner.

@LaDispute57

That happened to me twice this week, in a "dogs must be on leash" area!

It burns me up that I don't tell them off for having their dogs off their leash.

I'm so anxious about the dogs, I don't tell the owners they make me anxious.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    You guys/gals are way too chatty for the amount of time in the day!

Guns: don't like them. don't have any. don't want any. No more input! LOL

Running/marriage: my ex-husband never supported anything that I wanted to do. Leaving that relationship was the best thing I ever did. My current partner (of about 14 years and not married...haha!) supports whatever I want to do. That includes running and being a full time student while juggling family and a job. If he did not, I would leave. A partner should support the other half to better themselves. Happy individuals make happy partnerships.

Socks: I like feetures, balega, smart wool, and darn tough. I only wear the no show styles with tabs.

dogs: it is driving me mad the amount of dogs I have to fend off on my runs. It's almost so bad I am thinking of becoming a treadmill runner.

I know I missed the monthly question!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Thanks @shanaber and @Orphia for letting me know your experience with the socks. I asked about that brand because I can get them here at a good price and they seem to be highly recommended.

@Scott6255 has she ever had therapy for anxiety? It sounds stupid I know but I used to have awful anxiety that got worse after the birth of our second child. I had counselling and recognised that I've actually have been suffering pretty much my whole life. Counselling literally saved my sanity and my marriage. I also credit it with the reason I have finally been able to lose and keep off the weight. I know it's hard to suggest, and would be hard for her to hear but it really is a literal life saver.

@kcs76 I'm sorry to hear your experience. What you describe is not compromise at all, in any sense of the word. I am glad you have found someone now who supports you. I'm also studying while working full time and training for a half marathon, and that's impossible without support. I've applied for an amazing opportunity next year that will add more to my plate. DH is supportive of my doing it - it will require me to drive to the city 4hrs away about every 6 weeks - but has outlined I will have to give something up. That's for my sanity as much as his. Our compromise is he will support it, take responsibility for the kids those days etc. But I need to find something to remove so I'm not always away. I told him what I was going to give up and he is happy and I am happy. That's compromise. One person laying down the law and the other complying is not compromise at all.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Has anyone used or heard about the run IQ watch? It's normally $500 here but is on sale on the new balance website for $125! I'm going to google a bit more but it looks impressive - has HR, GPS, Bluetooth, music, 24 hr battery for general use, or 5hrs fully connected.

ETA ok read reviews. Looks like its pretty average. Probably only worth the 125 price (that's around $70usd I think)

If I were to get a watch with GPS included what should I look for?
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Has anyone used or heard about the run IQ watch? It's normally $500 here but is on sale on the new balance website for $125! I'm going to google a bit more but it looks impressive - has HR, GPS, Bluetooth, music, 24 hr battery for general use, or 5hrs fully connected.

ETA ok read reviews. Looks like its pretty average. Probably only worth the 125 price (that's around $70usd I think)

If I were to get a watch with GPS included what should I look for?

24hrs for general use and 5hrs for running is really not a lot. You'd be charging it every day, sometime twice a day, and the last thing you'd want is to be running the last leg of a marathon just for your watch to die on you.

It really all depends on what kind of features you need (music? 24/7 HR monitoring? swimming? dreadmill? trails? maps?), and what kind of phone you'll be pairing it with (don't get an iWatch for an Android phone or vice versa...).

Alternatively, just close your eyes and buy a Garmin :p
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo thanks for the advice. I'm sure therapy would be beneficial to my wife, but just suggesting that would sound like an attack (because of her low self-esteem).

As far as GPS watches, I can't say enough good things about the Garmin Forerunner 235. But like it has been said before, probably most Garmin watches are a good choice.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    So here is question... if your spouse or SO would tell you that your running was creating serious issues for them in the relationship and that you really needed to stop running in order to keep the relationship healthy, would you stop running? Or is that the mountain you would die on? I know several runners (including myself) where that became a legitimate issue (obviously not the sole issue, but a major one) and it has been interesting to see the choices they made.

I’m a therapist, and I’ll say that whenever I have seen some activity interrupt a relationship, it isn’t really about that specific activity at all. Like @PastorVincent said, there is usually an underlying issue, usually a feeling of overall disconnect that is then blamed on that tangible activity. I think the person should look at that and consider whether the activity is really a source of enjoyment or maybe some sort of escape from something in the relationship (or both). Compromise is important, as would be identifying ways to reconnect through something together.

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    In for 50 miles again. It will be challenging this month. We are going on vacation at the end of this month and will be spending a lot of time in the car. 6 more work shifts until our vacation. Yay!

August 1....work
    August 2....work
    August 3....2.41 miles (treadmill) + weight lifting.
    August 4.....rest day
    August 5...work
    August 6...work
    August 7....2.46 miles (treadmill) + weight lifting.

It rained all morning here, and I planned to go the gym after sleeping. When I walked to my car, it was still 88 degrees with 80% humidity. Jeez!

It was hot at the gym. I actually got a runner's high on the treadmill (a first). Usually just use any treadmill runs as a method of getting my heart rate up prior to lifting weights. It was very crowded at the gym but was able to get a decent lifting session done. I did feel great after my workout. So glad that I got it done.

My girlfriend and I ate at an Indian cuisine restaurant on Saturday. I am up in weight by 5 pounds. Is there a lot of salt in restaurant food? It's very discouraging to eat out as it is always detrimental to my goal of losing weight. Does anyone else feel that way?

Restaurant food is almost always much saltier than home-cooked. I actually read a great book recently called Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat all about the four elements of great cooking (guess what they are?!) and the salt chapter was pretty fascinating - salt used correctly is a flavor enhancer and doesn’t just make things “salty” as most of us think of it. I eat out a lot and have experienced the day (or three) after bloat. It’s just water and will only impact your weight loss long term if the calories put you in a surplus or if the water weight discourages you enough to overeat.

ETA: something I find helpful when I have a weight spike is to google an image of the number of calories I would have to eat to actually gain that much fat. To put on 5 pounds of fat, you’d need to eat 17,500 calories over your maintenance level. That’s a LOT of Indian food!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I went to Target and what do you think I saw in the parking lot? We're getting a REI! WE'RE GETTING A REI!!!!! Now I can try on different shoes and maybe buy something on sale once in a while instead of at manufacturer's price plus a markup! It's supposed to open later this month.

Excellent! Make sure to become a member so you get those 'dividends' back from purchases. I first joined several years ago when one opened about 2.5 hrs. drive from me. Now there is a store only 2 hrs. drive away (different direction) and rumor is there might be plans in the works to put a store in the closest major city (1.5 hr. drive) - also where the nearest Target and Dick's stores are located.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    In for 50 miles again. It will be challenging this month. We are going on vacation at the end of this month and will be spending a lot of time in the car. 6 more work shifts until our vacation. Yay!

August 1....work
    August 2....work
    August 4.....rest day
    August 5...work
    August 6...work

It rained all morning here, and I planned to go the gym after sleeping. When I walked to my car, it was still 88 degrees with 80% humidity. Jeez!

It was hot at the gym. I actually got a runner's high on the treadmill (a first). Usually just use any treadmill runs as a method of getting my heart rate up prior to lifting weights. It was very crowded at the gym but was able to get a decent lifting session done. I did feel great after my workout. So glad that I got it done.

My girlfriend and I ate at an Indian cuisine restaurant on Saturday. I am up in weight by 5 pounds. Is there a lot of salt in restaurant food? It's very discouraging to eat out as it is always detrimental to my goal of losing weight. Does anyone else feel that way?

Almost exactly the same thing happened to me recently - unfamiliar Indian restaurant, ate a modest amount of food, BAM five pounds up next morning. It took a week for the water weight to go away. Particularly if you eat soup, Indian food can have more sodium than it tastes like it has. It's typically very wholesome food otherwise, though. Rest assured your fat loss is still happening quietly in the background, it's just being disguised by the water gain.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

August 1....work
    August 2....work
    August 4.....rest day
    August 5...work
    August 6...work

Probably all water weight. Give it a few days of normal eating and see what happens. I bet you lose most of it.

Salt is addictive and makes you thirsty so places that sell food and sell drinks often add it. :)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I went to Target and what do you think I saw in the parking lot? We're getting a REI! WE'RE GETTING A REI!!!!! Now I can try on different shoes and maybe buy something on sale once in a while instead of at manufacturer's price plus a markup! It's supposed to open later this month.

Excellent! Make sure to become a member so you get those 'dividends' back from purchases. I first joined several years ago when one opened about 2.5 hrs. drive from me. Now there is a store only 2 hrs. drive away (different direction) and rumor is there might be plans in the works to put a store in the closest major city (1.5 hr. drive) - also where the nearest Target and Dick's stores are located.

On my lunch walks, I pass an REI every day. is it really a good store? I kind of figured it was all hype...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

On my lunch walks, I pass an REI every day. is it really a good store? I kind of figured it was all hype...

They have good gear and knowledgeable sales-people. The member perks are pretty good (I have the REI credit card, so they are even better when I use that card to make purchases). While I haven't had to use it, their return policy is pretty good too.

The other benefit of their return policy is that they have "garage sale" days every once in awhile where they sell those returned items at steep discounts. Often, it was returned because someone just didn't like it or it didn't suit their need as well as expected; but there isn't anything necessarily wrong with it. Other times, there is a slight defect or problem that one can decide on. For example, I saw a running vest last time, but it was missing one of the bottles. Did that bottle break and that is why it was returned? I'm not sure. The bottles are easy to replace, and if the overall vest had worked for me otherwise, that would have been an easy way to save some bucks.

I became a member before I got into running, but was hiking/backpacking. They host classes, which I've never had time to attend, for various outdoor activities too.