Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
  • belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I think IF is just the new buzz word/phrase so the trendy people can call it a a "new" diet when it's not. If you think about it lot of our daily routines are based around intermittent patterns. We intermittently sleep, exercise, work. I don't call working for 8 hours and than not working for 16 hours intermittent working. I don't call working out 1 hour every other day intermittent exercise. I don't call sleeping for 7 hours and then not sleeping for 17 intermittent sleeping. You get the point.

All the negativity surrounding IF usually come from a place of confirmation bias or just plain ignorance. I follow the science, and it keeps providing positive data on the benefits. Not quite there yet, but in a few years time with some longer form studies we'll have the empirical data to re butte all the SAD/NAD hanger-ons.

• LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Why does it seem bad to you? Most of the hours not eating are when you sleep. People just choose to stop eating at a certain time and only start eating the next day at a certain time. A lot of folks probably just do it naturally.
    I stop eating at 7pm and dont eat until 11 or noon the next day and it has helped me tremendously with my energy level. As weird as that is to say, but since I started doing it a couple of weeks ago, I've been more awake. It's the only thing I've changed but now, I dont feel so drained and low energy all the time.

It's not unhealthy, but also not for everyone. If you want your breakfast, then eat your breakfast.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I don't really see why people are negative toward IF and some are very negative. I don't do IF but the way I see it if someone likes it more power to them and vise versa. I mean you can't sell it other than hope people by a book on it. As far as magic goes you can skip a meal and lower caloric intake but only if you keep a normal portion as your other meals. If your total daily calories are the same I guess you let the magic out.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I don't really see why people are negative toward IF and some are very negative. I don't do IF but the way I see it if someone likes it more power to them and vise versa. I mean you can't sell it other than hope people by a book on it. As far as magic goes you can skip a meal and lower caloric intake but only if you keep a normal portion as your other meals. If your total daily calories are the same I guess you let the magic out.

I don't think most people are negative on IF per se. Many folks commenting do or have done IF, including me. I think people are more negative about unproven claims like the autophagy benefit, which has not been demonstrated in human studies. Just like other things that get touted as fadslike paleo, keto, atkins and now IF, there is no magic to these things for either weight loss or health (with a few exceptions for special conditions, eg. keto and epilepsy).

I am a big proponent of IF for keeping hunger signalling under control for some and for staying on target with calorie goals. The rest is just unproven noise at this point. As further study takes place, who knows what will emerge? But it is premature to start claiming some of these benefits at this point.

Edited to add: IF doesn't take a lot of willpower if it is a good fit for you. Some folks just aren't hungry early in the day and can delay the first meal easily. For these people, IF can be a good calorie control tool and is fairly easy to execute. It is really sustainable and it not a willpower kind of thing for those for whom it is a good fit.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

So basically, if you eat like a normal person you're still getting the "magic"? 12 hours or more is pretty normal between dinner and breakfast, at least for people I know. Are all of them (including myself in the past when I was morbidly obese) were under the influence of IF magic?

That's just where the magic starts :lol:

According to the guy in the video, the chart is from Dr. Ted Naiman, who I googled and it turns out he is a primary care physician who grew up a nerdy vegetarian with eczema but now that he does low carb he has a 6-pack. And he refers his patients to dietdoctor .com :neutral:

Autophagy is a super new concept with very little data to back it up, so all the snake-oil salesman are drumming it up because they know there's so little definitive data out there that a quick google search can't "disprove" it, and most people don't understand how science works so they think that means it's legit.

What's interesting is that I've always lived with that "magic", getting a minimum of 14 hours between dinner and breakfast every single day for as long as I can remember and yet I got morbidly obese and managed to get pre-diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. Unless I acquired some superpower I'm not aware of, the magic doesn't appear to be potent.

Any you were only drinking pure water during these 14 hours and no sodas or anything else when you got morbidly obese? God is watching.

Funnily enough, I only drink water for thirst. It was a cultural shock when I found out people drink something other than water for thirst. My soda intake was something like 1-3 times a month in the summer and almost none in the winter.