Intermittent fasting: sounds bad

Options
12346»

Replies

• williamgowjr
    williamgowjr Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Here is my daily regiment:
    Up at 6am but I don't eat until lunch (200-400 calories).
    I'll grab a snack around 2pm (100 calories or so)
    I then eat dinner around 5pm and try to keep it under 800 calories.
    It becomes easy once you've acclimated to it but I'll admit...it was difficult to adjust to for a month or so. When I felt cravings coming on, I would drink tons of water to get myself over it.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Everyone fasts overnight....hence break fast or breakfast. There are many difference varieties out there some extreme some not so much. I've never been a early morning eater so I typically don't eat from 7pm until 11-11:30am the next day and I've been doing that for decades before IF became a topic of discussion. Find what works for you and incorporate that into your lifestyle and listen to your body.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I did IF easily for a long time until my training schedule changed and I required more calories. I naturally didn't get hungry until around 2pm and had a bad habit of night binging. IF was a good fit because all I did was cut out my unhealthy night binges. It was a very healthy choice for me at the time and helped me reach a healthy BMI weight. I'd have black coffee in the morning (still all I have unless I run before work) and then a small lunch or snack around 2pm followed by a large dinner.

Now I need to eat more so I have oatmeal after my run mornings and eat a lunch every day around 11:30-noon. My largest meal is still dinner usually making up over half of my daily calories.

I could personally never do the 5-6 small meals during the day style of eating. I get ill if I eat too early most days and those little meals would never leave me feeling full and satisfied. My large evening meal helps because I can't fall asleep if I'm hungry at all.
  • rfajitas12345
    rfajitas12345 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Create a calorie deficit is all it is - and you can achieve this through eating less, but reasonable, amount on a daily basis. You could also achieve this by skipping meals or timing your meals in different ways. It doesn't matter how you do it - as long as you're always on a deficit, you'll lose weight.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    julubeet wrote: »
    I have been seeing more people talk about intermittent fasting as a weight lost tactic. This seems....unhealthy. Where have people gotten this idea recently?

Many are combining keto and IF. I signed up today because my nutritionist/health coach recommended a paleo diet but recently recommended IF. They told me that IF has many health benefits and speeds up recovery and the healing process.

Also said that it triggers autopathy, the process that filters out dysfunctional and damaged cells. That it improves heart function, boosts metabolism, reduces oxidative stress, hair, skin, nails and insulin resistance, stimulates brain function. They told me to aim for 22 hours aday of fasting to get all of these benefits.

This is why people are doing it because they have been told that it will fix everything. But I had to reassess what I was hearing and reading. I decided that I would eat 3 meals aday and follow along here. I'm not going to do the keto/IF combo or fast 22 hours daily. I think MFP is going to be a better fit for me.

No, it isn't why people are doing it. Your nutritionist is an idiot. I do it because it fits my schedule and I'm just not hungry until late afternoons.