124»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    belleflop wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Lots of scientific research and peer reviewed literature out there in regards to the health benefits of fasting. What dramatic claims are you referring to?

I think they are referring to the increases in fat loss over conventional diets, increase autophagy, etc... Most of which has been found to be true in animal models/preliminary research, but not so much in human models. I posted this in another thread, but it a meta analysis comparing human and animal models.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4516560/

I agree completely with your statement, the study data is not in yet with humans in regards to increased autophagy during a fasted state. Everyone interested in this in depth should read your link.

Only issue I take is when people call fasting a "diet", when really it's primary mechanism for most people is to facilitate a caloric deficit to lose weight.

I always say, you can call a horse by many names, but it doesn't mean it isnt a horse.

IF is just a dieting style as much as anything else. And while some believe by calling it another name might improve success rates, there isn't data to support that.

And IF is used for a variety of things, including maintenance and bulking. But i do recognize that many try to use it for creating a deficit.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Lots of scientific research and peer reviewed literature out there in regards to the health benefits of fasting. What dramatic claims are you referring to?

I think they are referring to the increases in fat loss over conventional diets, increase autophagy, etc... Most of which has been found to be true in animal models/preliminary research, but not so much in human models. I posted this in another thread, but it a meta analysis comparing human and animal models.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4516560/

Thanks for this link. It seem to support what most here have said in regard to IF being primarily a tool to support calorie deficit with other benefits being unsubstantiated in humans.
  • FoxAndOpal
    FoxAndOpal Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do “IF” on days when I want to gorge on a big *kitten* steak, buttery potatoes, beer, and cheesecake for dinner. Except I just call it the much less buzzwordy “planning out my caloric intake” instead of IF.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey folks, a minor clean-up occurred here. Sometimes other posters communication styles make us upset or comes off as abrasive. That's totally okay - we're all human and we're not required to like each other. If you think another post violates community guidelines, REPORT IT using the 'Flag' and then 'Report' option at the bottom of the offending post. If it's a violation, it will be dealt with once a moderator sees your report. What you should NOT do is call other posters out in the community. That causes drama, which causes me to get cranky when it comes to my attention. If your post was 'cleaned' and you don't understand why, feel free to send me a PM.

Happy Sunday.