Feeling guilty of eating 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I always eat anywhere from 1200-1400 calories a day. Normally no more than 1400. There is no need to eat more than 1400 calories a day, especially if your losing weight or trying too. Your body goes into starvation mode if you eat less than that, but your body wont go into starvation mode at 1200. I work in an office that the chief of Medicine works at and those are his words. Between 1200-1400 calories is sufficient. Your body maintains at 1400, you lose at 1200. Given if you are seriously overweight, you would probably lose eating a bit more than that as well or someone trying to put on tons of muscle but eventually when your body gets down to an ideal weight 1200 is losing, 1400 is maintaining and anything above that typically is gaining.

I know everyone has different opinions, just sharing what I've learned, experienced and have been taught by our doctors. =)

tumblr_mf71gh3zYj1rwlmoao1_250.gif
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Has anyone feeling guilty of eating 1200 calories. I used to think that weight loss is about starving, now that I joined MFP I cant believe that 1200calories will make me loose weight. *unbelievable*

I must say I lost few inches in my waists and thighs though nothing on scale. I do eat 1200 sometimes but honestly do feel guilty as if Im eating too much.
    you should not feel guilty for eating...ever. Some days I eat 1200, other days I eat 1400 and workout days I eat around 1700-1900. always depends on what I do and how I feel.

If i am hungry I eat, simple...it is just what I eat that makes the difference.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    2100 calories is a lot of calories. Eating clean and healthy, I would have a tremendously hard time eating that many calories. What are you eating? And no, I don't think it's the same for everyone. Of course everyone is different. For me, that's true. I do 60 min of cardio 6 days a week. I'm training for a half marathon I try to eat as healthy and nutritious as possible and me eating 1400 calories is working. Of course some days I may go a little over, but realistically eating healthy food it's hard for me to get a lot of calories. I eat small meals throughout the day.

2100 calories, no problem. Any day of the week.

Breakfast:
    1 greek Yogurt, 2 cheese sticks, coffee w/ cream & sugar, V8 low sodium juice, handful of almonds, 1 cup milk with 1 scoop protein powder = ~900 calories

Lunch:
    A pita wrap with grilled chicken & veggies = ~400 calories

Dinner:
    8 ounces of some kind of meat, a side dish like rice, veggies or a salad = ~ 700 calories.

Easy.
    Or if I skip the almonds in the morning or the protein shake, then I can have ice cream after dinner.

I would rather eat this than 1200-1400 calories a day and starve - and I did starve eating that amount and working out. Then, your maintenance can be higher after you lost weight and not feel guilty for a having a piece of birthday cake or a beer at happy hour. Who wants to live like that??

That's a tremendous amount of food for breakfast. I would have to shove that much down my throat, but if it's working for you Great! =)
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    No, your body doesnt need thousands of calories a day. Body builders eat that.
    Yeah well my mouth needs thousands of calories a day.
    tumblr_lvo8isW1MC1r6aoq4o1_500.gif
    31 years old, 5'6, 120lbs 19.5bf% and still losing......at 1900-2100 calories a day, BTW.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Best answer EVER!
    5'2", 44yo, I aim to eat 2,000 but usually go over... and still losing! (1230 calorie breakfast this morning :wink: )
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I need to stay out of threads about eating 1200 calories but I'm replying anyway.

If you figure out your BMR and TDEE and eat at a REASONABLE deficit, you will retain more muscle as you lose weight. More muscle means you can eat more calories. And if you eat 1200 calories or less and work out 60 minutes a day you will slow your metabolism way down and lose a lot of muscle which means you will maintain at a very low caloric intake. If you follow what many others have said and eat at a REASONABLE deficit, you will be able to maintain at higher calorie intake levels.

I've said this before - if you can eat more food why wouldn't you want to???? who wants to give up birthday cake, cheeseburgers and beer FOREVER??? Not me.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I'm still working my way through reading this whole thread, but I always feel weird reading the 1,200 calorie goal posts. I work out several days a week and my goal is 1,200 calories. Sometimes I don't net that (but usually more than make up for it on my cheat days on the weekends). During the week, even at 1,200 calories, I feel great. I have energy, I'm not foggy, etc. I've lost a considerable amount of weight/inches for my frame. I am currently 5'5'', 22 years old, ~125 lbs. Started out at 142 lbs in January.

I just truly think everyone is different. I think OP has a possibly unhealthy relationship with food (I never feel guilty about eating 1,200 calories, or even going over on the weekends). But the bottom line is what works for some may not work for others. I think everyone should just eat whatever their goal is, and stick to it, *as long as they feel good doing it*. I know a lot of people may tell me I'm not eating enough all the time, but if I feel great and my doc says I'm healthy, why change? *shrug*

ETA: I may feel more full on 1,200 calories because I aim for 100+ grams of protein a day.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    dear god
    Normally no more than 1400. There is no need to eat more than 1400 calories a day, especially if your losing weight or trying too.

I'd die- literally die- I'm hungry CONSTANTLY at 1900- that's my cut- I could probably be down to 1800 at this point- but despite a sedentary desk job- I work 3 jobs and I'm really busy and I work out DAMN hard. 1900 feels like SO LITTLE to me. any more than 1400 for gain?

please- you don't know EVERY body- and EVERYBODY"S life. That's a HUGE assumption- what you need to be eating to maintain, lose and gain is based on that individuals body and life style.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight for months eating an average of over 2000 calories a day.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Yes. He recommends 1200-1400 calories to people. Obviously eating all that food hasnt made you guys very nice or friendly. =)
    Ouch.
  • Mindfreak1999
    Options
    I consume between 900 and 1300 and the weight has melted away. If you exercise and find you have no energy then you need to increase your calories.
    Be lucky :smile:
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I always eat anywhere from 1200-1400 calories a day. Normally no more than 1400. There is no need to eat more than 1400 calories a day, especially if your losing weight or trying too. Your body goes into starvation mode if you eat less than that, but your body wont go into starvation mode at 1200. I work in an office that the chief of Medicine works at and those are his words. Between 1200-1400 calories is sufficient. Your body maintains at 1400, you lose at 1200. Given if you are seriously overweight, you would probably lose eating a bit more than that as well or someone trying to put on tons of muscle but eventually when your body gets down to an ideal weight 1200 is losing, 1400 is maintaining and anything above that typically is gaining.

I know everyone has different opinions, just sharing what I've learned, experienced and have been taught by our doctors. =)

What a load of crap. Nobody needs to eat more than 1400 calories unless they're bulking? Please tell me the name of this doctor so I know to avoid him.

My guess is that this was advice that she was given based on her own frame, needs, activity level and she is mistakenly applying it to all. Additionally, the last past (the part you referred to) sounds like she is making assumptions beyond what she was told. Definitely not fitting advise for all people. I am recommended 1750 calories a day and I have lost 30 pounds in two months sticking pretty close to that.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I eat well...a lot and I'm not having any issues losing weight. I generally have a calorie range of 1500 - 2500 depending on how active I was for the day. In fact on Tuesday I ate 2403 calories, yum, with no guilt what so ever. And just for the hell of it:

Total Calories Consumed for the past 90 days:
    119msfl.png

Net Calories for the past 90 days:
    533i4y.png

Weight for the past 90 days (I only log weight occasionally, cause I'm weird like that:tongue: ):
    2sb3i37.png

Keep in mind, not eating enough can pose just as many serious health problems as being overweight. It can also cause your metabolism to slow, making it harder to lose weight and possibly even causing a plateau.

**seems the images are slightly too big. right click them to view the full image**
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I'm averaging 2,200 cals a day and still losing.

I would't feel guilty eating 1,200. I'd feel hungry.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

lol what?
  • BHKLEIN
    BHKLEIN Posts: 104
    Options
    You know.... it really bothers me when people get on these threads and do not give helpful advice. This site is suppose to help motivate and support people and a lot of people get on these and do not offer any help or support at all. Or they bash other advice people give. I just don't get why people do that. How can you bash other advice when you have none to offer yourself! Just my option....

If 1200 cals works for you, then good. If 2000 cals is what you need then good for you too. Every person is different and you really have to listen to your own body and possible consult with a nutritionist. Just make sure if you are only consuming 1200 cals that you are eatting the best nutritionally packed 1200 cals you can. Don't eat emply cals, make them count. Get in your fiber and protein!!! You don't want to look like a bag of skin and bones when you slim down. You want to look healthy and fit so eat with your health in mind and not only with a set cal goal.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Has anyone feeling guilty of eating 1200 calories.

No, never.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You know.... it really bothers me when people get on these threads and do not give helpful advice. This site is suppose to help motivate and support people and a lot of people get on these and do not offer any help or support at all. Or they bash other advice people give. I just don't get why people do that. How can you bash other advice when you have none to offer yourself! Just my option....

Well, the OP didn't actually ask for advice, she just asked if we felt guilty, and we discussed why it is bad to feel guilty about food. That's pretty much it. There was a side discussion in which one person gave terrible and wrong advice which the rest of us tried to dispel. As far as support for the OP, we answered her question and gave it.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat 1200 calories at least you will not be giving your body what it needs to be alive. Remember what you knew about weight gain was false, which is why you are here in the first place. Therefore what you know about weight loss is also false. It is not about starving at all.
  • BHKLEIN
    BHKLEIN Posts: 104
    Options

Well, the OP didn't actually ask for advice, she just asked if we felt guilty, and we discussed why it is bad to feel guilty about food. That's pretty much it. There was a side discussion in which one person gave terrible and wrong advice which the rest of us tried to dispel. As far as support for the OP, we answered her question and gave it.

It's a generalization......... again with the negativity! Also, the topic is posted in "motivation and support". I'm not saying 1200 cals is good or bad, it's just the fact that a lot of people are very negative about certain topics. AND there a lot of people on MFP who do utilize a 1200 cal goal and are successful in both losing weight and being healthy just as there are people you utilize a 1200 cal goal and are not healthy. It goes both ways!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Has anyone feeling guilty of eating 1200 calories. I used to think that weight loss is about starving, now that I joined MFP I cant believe that 1200calories will make me loose weight. *unbelievable*

I must say I lost few inches in my waists and thighs though nothing on scale. I do eat 1200 sometimes but honestly do feel guilty as if Im eating too much.
    Yeah I used to feel that way, because you'd always see (apparently not anymore?) *Based on a 1200 calorie diet. So I used to eat 1200 calories. And be restricted. And hoity toity about the foods I ate. And be quietly miserable. I realized one day that that's not enough calories for me to live on, that I was being food/calorie-paranoid. I read up on a lot of information on losing weight and calories. I try and eat healthy foods as much as possible and aim for 1700 (sedentary), and I refuse to feel guilty if I go over that, learn from what I did or didn't do (the lack of willpower....).
    It took me a long time to realize that 1200 calories is not what *I* should be eating, and unless they're running your #'s to verify information, no one else should be telling you where you should be at.