Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Challenges
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• Up_n_RunningUp_n_Running Member Posts: 91 Member Member Posts: 91 Member
    Day 1... again. Thank you all for being here.

Welcome to our group !
    @chariotlady great post ! I will check out women in sobriety.
    @RubyRed427 the obsession is a good way to describe it.

It really is that way for me. Unfortunately.

1 is too many, 10 is never enough. I always recite that in my head should the wolf come-a-calling 🐺
    My partner told me that, my brother poured the rest of his alcohol down the kitchen drain last night

Hmmmmm. That's interesting. Maybe he has had enough 🤔
  • RubyRed427RubyRed427 Member Posts: 3,058 Member Member Posts: 3,058 Member
    My partner told me that, my brother poured the rest of his alcohol down the kitchen drain last night

I remember doing that, making promises to myself that today will be different, and then sheepishly stopping after work to buy a bottle. So many wasted bottles I poured down the sink. But those episodes collectively brought me to where I am today. So at least it's a good start for him. Congrats on 4 months!!! Amazing!!!

Last night the scrapbooking girls had French martinis. Oh how I used to make them and love them. But I felt my lip snarl a little bit when they asked me if I wanted one. What I observed is these people are not like me. I didn't see them say "let's have another round" or anything like that. Ahhh. they're normal drinkers, must be nice.

I do feel for how badly your brother's hangover must have been. OMG those were wicked times; hangovers where you saw the world around you go by and people doing things and I was lying in bed praying to God to help me or at least kill me, I felt so badly!!!
  • aroze0928aroze0928 Member Posts: 243 Member Member Posts: 243 Member
    Still hanging in still sober after my slip up last month. @Up_n_Running congrats on your 4 months!
    I woke up pretty depressed and sad this morning. My husband is back full swing into drinking after giving it up for 3 months. Well last night he said the lousiest things to some of us that were having a great time carrying on alcohol free. It hurts. But how long do you carry it around now? We know the source we know hes a bad character when he drinks not all the time but alot. Idk. Im pretty disgusted. And all the more reason not to drink. Seeing is believing. And I want nothing to do with alcohol.
    RubyRed427 wrote: »

I remember doing that, making promises to myself that today will be different, and then sheepishly stopping after work to buy a bottle. So many wasted bottles I poured down the sink. But those episodes collectively brought me to where I am today. So at least it's a good start for him. Congrats on 4 months!!! Amazing!!!

Last night the scrapbooking girls had French martinis. Oh how I used to make them and love them. But I felt my lip snarl a little bit when they asked me if I wanted one. What I observed is these people are not like me. I didn't see them say "let's have another round" or anything like that. Ahhh. they're normal drinkers, must be nice.

I do feel for how badly your brother's hangover must have been. OMG those were wicked times; hangovers where you saw the world around you go by and people doing things and I was lying in bed praying to God to help me or at least kill me, I felt so badly!!!

Yeah, my bro looked like he was about to have a panic attack. Not nice. And it's the price that gets paid for a night 'on the lash'....fun at the time, not so much fun for 2 whole days afterwards. He's still in bed.

I was saying that to my OH while we walked in nature, sun shining, lovely fresh air and all that. Feeling alive and invigorated. Usually I would still be in bed, dying inside surrounded by negative thoughts 😪 been there, done that, got several tee shirts. Iv swapped wine for actually having a life.
    aroze0928 wrote: »
    Still hanging in still sober after my slip up last month. @Up_n_Running congrats on your 4 months!
    I woke up pretty depressed and sad this morning. My husband is back full swing into drinking after giving it up for 3 months. Well last night he said the lousiest things to some of us that were having a great time carrying on alcohol free. It hurts. But how long do you carry it around now? We know the source we know hes a bad character when he drinks not all the time but alot. Idk. Im pretty disgusted. And all the more reason not to drink. Seeing is believing. And I want nothing to do with alcohol.

Same thing here. Watching how lousy alcohol makes folk behave is making me want to stay sober, too. It hurts. So badly sometimes. But I am turning it into motivation for sure. I have said hurtful things in the past but I know I won't repeat any of that, if I stay dry.

Hope your feeling a bit better 💕
  • donimfpdonimfp Member Posts: 775 Member Member Posts: 775 Member
    @Up_n_Running, I like that advice from Bex Weller about treating yourself to something besides alcohol. Of course I'm not going anywhere during the pandemic, but I often think about the trip I took to Italy a couple of years ago and wonder how on earth I could go back there and not drink. Wine was so much a focus of our trip that my sister-in-law actually quit her job and bought a winery in Virginia when we returned. I have wanted very much to go see her beautiful winery but thought, "How could I possibly do that and say 'no thank you' to tasting the wines?" After my Jan. 6 disaster, I know for sure that there would be no such thing as tasting the wines and then jumping right back into sobriety. I do like the idea of pre-planning something wonderful for yourself to enjoy while others are drinking. Thanks for that thought.
    aroze0928 wrote: »

This hurts! I can feel your pain from here. It is so hurtful even if his antics were from alcohol; I, too, have sent really mean texts to a friend telling her exactly what I THINK of her. But your situation is worse, because it's your husband. Why can't he see how good life was for three months without alcohol ? I wonder what made him think he could go back to moderating? Sigh. Sending you hugs.
  • aroze0928aroze0928 Member Posts: 243 Member Member Posts: 243 Member
    Thanks for the support and comments today. ❤ to the group.
    Unsubscribed from sexy sobriety course. It will be nice to have an extra almost £60 per month in my bank account.

It was worth every penny. No plans to return to the bottle. 😊 plans to get into an exercise routine and join a local gym as soon as they re open.

It will be nice to focus on another area for a little while. So I am scouting out another course. Think I will veer off in a totally different direction and look into a course on spiritual side of life. I do enjoy that type of thing. Matt Fraser medium does some courses, I may treat myself 😊
    Do you guys count alcohol free days, or do you just try to forget about it ?

I'm trying to work out what's best going forward. Should I stop counting and just become used to the fact this is part of my new life now. 🤔
  • JenT304JenT304 Member Posts: 785 Member Member Posts: 785 Member
    I have a general idea of when the last drink was/day one, but I do not count. I have no idea what year I even quit smoking. I prefer not to think about it at all.
    I had last drink / day 1 on 24th October 2020 so I could just celebrate my Soberversary once per year, that sounds like a good idea.

Same here. I quit cigarettes years ago. 5, or 6 years ago. I might actually sit and work it out but I'm sure it's probably closer to 6 years by now. (There has been a handful of occasions over those years I have bought a random pack and smoked them. Either while on holiday abroad, or when dealing with extreme stress). But I really dislike smoking so was always able to quit straight away again.
    Hey Ladies!
    For me, I do count months, not days. It gives me pride and a feeling of accomplishment. It also keeps me from breaking my "streak". That has definitely happened where I think I will have a drink and then I decide I just don't want to break my streak.
    But to each his own.
    @JenT304 I understand how unfair it is that your BIL who was so healthy is so sick. It is awful!

I still crave drinking like tonight I went to the tax accountant and afterwards I really wished I could stop for a glass or two of wine, but then that would lead to me buying a bottle on the way home and drinking that..... sigh. Broken record- I know how that tune ends.
    Every morning I wake up soooo thankful I feel good and have no lingering hangovers. I know I say that to you often but it is in the forefront of every waking morning. Such gratitude for being sober.