Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    bojack5 wrote: »
    tinak33 wrote: »
    shaf238 wrote: »
    Why do people have an issue with woo being a negative comment? Hey not everybody says intelligent things, some people say mean things or just things that aren't agreeable. There is nothing wrong with a reaction of, no, I don't like that. Or no, I don't agree with that. When did everybody become so sensitive that we had to make everything rainbows and puppies to get through the day? I'm not saying bash anybody, and definitely not for bashing somebody's picture......I'm just saying so what if woo means hell no I don't think so......I think having comment words of nothing but kiss *kitten* is fraudulent and a kin to participation trophies.
    Completely agree, and not sure anyone (who's replied so far) has actually got a problem with it tbh. I just wanted to know whether the woo is good or bad...

It is whatever you want it to be. haha

Actually a moderator a few months ago said it was meant to be a "disagree" comment. Or to our friends in the UK, a "not bloody likely" comment.

But is that how it's actually used on here? Seems to me a lot of people are using it in the positive.

It gets used both ways... depends on the user.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Actually a moderator a few months ago said it was meant to be a "disagree" comment. Or to our friends in the UK, a "not bloody likely" comment.

But is that how it's actually used on here? Seems to me a lot of people are using it in the positive.
    And that's why I made this thread, to gauge how people were using the button. Just curiosity, it's not that deep haha
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    Why do people have an issue with woo being a negative comment? Hey not everybody says intelligent things, some people say mean things or just things that aren't agreeable. There is nothing wrong with a reaction of, no, I don't like that. Or no, I don't agree with that. When did everybody become so sensitive that we had to make everything rainbows and puppies to get through the day? I'm not saying bash anybody, and definitely not for bashing somebody's picture......I'm just saying so what if woo means hell no I don't think so......I think having comment words of nothing but kiss *kitten* is fraudulent and a kin to participation trophies.

He was just asking what it meant, not that it shouldn't be there.

I was adding to the discussion of others feeling the need to make it positive. The OP started the discussion but there are many other people expanding and adding their thoughts to it.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Completely agree, and not sure anyone (who's replied so far) has actually got a problem with it tbh. I just wanted to know whether the woo is good or bad...

The history behind woo:
    1. It was voted in by MFP users (this is frequently forgotten). Before it became a button it was a term used often that sorta meant "bad science". For example "apple cider vinegar cures all!!!!" response "that is total woo!"
    2. When it became a button the original guidance was is had 2 meanings 1. woohoo (as in cheering) 2. woo (as in bad science (see example above) - you were supposed to use it as it applied to the thread. Fora success story you would assume your woos are woohoos, for a debate you could assume it was similar to a "you are incorrect" button.
    3. then that was too confusing so they decided it only means woo science, and made the button a grumpyish looking face thing, that kinda looks like a weird bio hazard symbol IMO and is still confusing.
    4. Regardless of what MFP says a button means most people assign whattever freaking meaning they want to it and use it however they want. So, there is really no telling whether a woo is good or bad, it depends on who does the wooing, and since you don't know, you don't know.
    5. Also, dont forget the accidental scroll woo, the location of the woo button on the app screen easily leads to accidental woo pressing when a user is trying to scroll. This happens often.

• IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I think we need a Whoa Nelly It's Well Endowed reaction option.

Nah, would invite too many sweatpant gifs
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options

I dont particularly sweat it either way. Just stating what i know. However there are some sensitive people on here that get bothered by it thinking they may not be liked. I find it humorous they find it troubling.....seems it might be easier for the word to mean the same thing. I mean I find calling someone an asshat endearing.....but others may find it as an insult. Go figure.....
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options
    ChaelAZ wrote: »
    Someone please clarify my confusion - is the 'Woo' interaction button a good or bad thing!?!

A woo is always good. It is both a badge of courage to say the things that should not be said, and to offend the offendable. Woo count is the true street creed of MFP.

Well in that case,

giphy.gif

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    woo = Schrodinger's cat?
  • R3d_butt3rfly
    R3d_butt3rfly Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Speaking in general... does all your woo's, likes, insightful & hugs matter at the end of your internet day? If it does you need to sort out your priorities and focus more on what's in front of you...and I don't mean your computer screen. This is a pass time but some people take those buttons too seriously.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    ^No, hence why this is Chit Chat and not Technical Support
    The only people who scream woo or woo hoo in a celebratory manner are sports lunks in bars glugging beer and drunken bridesmaids eating faux European charcuterie at a vineyard banquet room. Apparently these people are here and they just didn't get the memo.
    Wrong, I woo whenever I plug a USB stick in right first time.

I know but you were tipsy weren't you.
    It's a way of life. Don't judge me.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options

The only people who scream woo or woo hoo in a celebratory manner are sports lunks in bars glugging beer and drunken bridesmaids eating faux European charcuterie at a vineyard banquet room. Apparently these people are here and they just didn't get the memo.

Sports lunks?

Mmk...

You like planet fitness, do you?
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

The history behind woo:
    1. It was voted in by MFP users (this is frequently forgotten). Before it became a button it was a term used often that sorta meant "bad science". For example "apple cider vinegar cures all!!!!" response "that is total woo!"
    2. When it became a button the original guidance was is had 2 meanings 1. woohoo (as in cheering) 2. woo (as in bad science (see example above) - you were supposed to use it as it applied to the thread. Fora success story you would assume your woos are woohoos, for a debate you could assume it was similar to a "you are incorrect" button.
    3. then that was too confusing so they decided it only means woo science, and made the button a grumpyish looking face thing, that kinda looks like a weird bio hazard symbol IMO and is still confusing.
    4. Regardless of what MFP says a button means most people assign whattever freaking meaning they want to it and use it however they want. So, there is really no telling whether a woo is good or bad, it depends on who does the wooing, and since you don't know, you don't know.
    5. Also, dont forget the accidental scroll woo, the location of the woo button on the app screen easily leads to accidental woo pressing when a user is trying to scroll. This happens often.

#2 kills me. It's like the idea was proposed by people who have never actually taken part in a forum.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options

Sports lunks?

Mmk...

Ok ok, sports automatons. And don't blame me, I didn't program them.

Why are you insulting people that like sports? I don't get it.

You are on a fitness site, calling people out for liking organized feats of fitness.
  • dlhatch67
    dlhatch67 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Someone please clarify my confusion - is the 'Woo' interaction button a good or bad thing!?!

If you take a moment to think about those buttons, you'll see they get increasingly better as you move to the right. So Woo is better than a Like but not quite as good as a Hug. The icon is the same as Inspiring, so there's another hint that the mods intended for this site to be positive and supportive.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options

The history behind woo:

your post is everything this question asked
    /thread

tldr; status of woo button: whatever you want it to be
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options

Sports lunks?

Mmk...

Ok ok, sports automatons. And don't blame me, I didn't program them.

Why are you insulting people that like sports? I don't get it.

You are on a fitness site, calling people out for liking organized feats of fitness.

No dear I'm in Chit Chat. I say what I please. Now about those skirts...

Fair enough. What about the skirts?
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    How about boo?

Thats going to be worst. Is it a boooo u suck or u wana be my boo bae?

Oh my boo is my bae for sure. That would be bad.