My 1200 calorie story

Options
14567810»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm a newb to MFP. And I got the magic 1200 number as well. What is TDEE?

Nevermind - I just read more posts! So, if I'm understanding this right, MFP suggests 1200 calories a day, so if I exercise and burn 350 calories, then I should eat 1550 calories, is that correct?

Yes, exactly.
  • HarvestNow
    Options
    Thank you Thank you Thank for your story---the last line confirmed in my heart
    ITS Hard!
    I am 66-not computer literate but came across your post.--I lost 50 pounds and held it off 6 years..then life happened! Son moved back home-husband quit job-moved in house and the list unfolds. I have tried it all-just cant get going! Is there anyway I can stay in contact with you thru my journey of losing 40 pounds?--80's to the 40's--1# a week is goal. I am addicted to sugar- help if you can

BeautyOfSign@yahoo.com

p.s. I also taught Sign Language for years-past tense..!
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm a newb to MFP. And I got the magic 1200 number as well. What is TDEE?

Nevermind - I just read more posts! So, if I'm understanding this right, MFP suggests 1200 calories a day, so if I exercise and burn 350 calories, then I should eat 1550 calories, is that correct?

I would like to add--MFP's database for exercise seems to inflate exercise calories a bit. Maybe start out by eating 50% of the exercise calories MFP suggests, assess your rate of weight loss/hunger, and increase or decrease your calories as needed.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • jimjammy87
    jimjammy87 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've restarted on MFP with a strong determination and a goal of dropping 30kgs by January, so I choose to restrict my calorie intake by 1200 a day. When I exercise I do try to eat the added on extra calories, but with difficulty. However, I have noticed in these 2+ weeks that I am considerably more tired than usual. This frightens me. I want to have and maintain a healthy calorie limit with a continuous drop in kilos. Reading this post scared the crackers out of me, so I have once again changed my calorie intake. However, does changing the calorie intake affect the weight dropped per month? Good or bad way? Should I continue with my 1200 calorie diet for the month period and then switch by September? Any suggestions?

Thanks
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I've restarted on MFP with a strong determination and a goal of dropping 30kgs by January, so I choose to restrict my calorie intake by 1200 a day. When I exercise I do try to eat the added on extra calories, but with difficulty. However, I have noticed in these 2+ weeks that I am considerably more tired than usual. This frightens me. I want to have and maintain a healthy calorie limit with a continuous drop in kilos. Reading this post scared the crackers out of me, so I have once again changed my calorie intake. However, does changing the calorie intake affect the weight dropped per month? Good or bad way? Should I continue with my 1200 calorie diet for the month period and then switch by September? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Set your goal to lose 1 pound a week. Eat back exercise calories.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    i LOVE these stories!

happy-dance-.gif

YESSSSSS!

Now I gotta go watch Seinfeld.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    your lean mass thanks you, and because of it you will be able to eat more once you reach goal. Getting weight off shouldn't be your top priority it should be to get FAT off while preserving your lean mass.
  • Trisha_Williams
    Trisha_Williams Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, doesn't help everyone. 20% off my tdee due to my age and height is 1350. I already eat that usually, or above on exercise days. But no big revelation or help for me personally.

To the op though, glad your hair grew back. That'd be a bummer.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, doesn't help everyone. 20% off my tdee due to my age and height is 1350. I already eat that usually, or above on exercise days. But no big revelation or help for me personally.

20% is a good starting point. It does shift, though. Depending on your goal, 20% may be too much.
  • deksgrl
    Options

If you have less than 10 pounds to lose, then your deficit should be 10%.
  • Mslmesq
    Options

That might help a little. That puts me closer to 1500. Do you eat back the exercise calories on top of that, or is that all inclusive? Note, my exercise is mostly walking, not heavy stuff like weight lifting.
  • deksgrl
    Options

That might help a little. That puts me closer to 1500. Do you eat back the exercise calories on top of that, or is that all inclusive? Note, my exercise is mostly walking, not heavy stuff like weight lifting.

When you figure your TDEE, it includes your exercise, so you don't eat more. Unless you have a day where you exercise way more than usual, then eat more if you are hungry.
  • Mslmesq
    Options

When you figure your TDEE, it includes your exercise, so you don't eat more. Unless you have a day where you exercise way more than usual, then eat more if you are hungry.

Got it. Thank you!