et voilà
  • mcjmommy
    mcjmommy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump
  • taliar93
    taliar93 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! The first two months after I started I was also proudly a part of the 1200cal club! I lost 15kg in two months, and then all of a sudden, I stopped, a complete plateau. and it took a while to work up the courage to go up to a 20% calorie reduction.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Dietitians always want you to stop counting calories. I have no idea why. I listened to mine for 1 month. I've stopped logging. And gained 10 pounds. Charming.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    OP- Well said and great job! At least in the US, too many people think that eating nothing will lead to weight loss. I try to explain that our bodies are like cars. The car won't run on empty nor can it be overfilled without flowing over. We must feed our bodies. I have friends with lots to lose and they say but I don't eat that much! Some of them don't, but others have started tracking calories and found a lot of empty ones during their day. Helping teach them to eat better is a challenge. The car scenario seems to help. Good luck on your journey!
  • appifanie
    appifanie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hey IBS people, I thought I had IBS too, and maybe I do, but I quit gluten and I've felt so much better. I've been tested and I'm not allergic but I am intolerant - gluten makes me sleepy and sneezy and other issues I'm not mentioning in public.
    One of my favorite MFP friends is 5'0". She eats at least 1700 calories and has lost over 100 pounds. It's true that she works out/lifts weights like a beast, but it's possible you do gain on 1400 calories because your metabolism is shot. I don't know a whole whole lot about it to get into more specifics, but just know that it's possible for someone your height to eat more than 1200 calories and still lose weight.

Thank you for this! I'm 5' and I have been eating 1200 calories for about 5 years now. I've also felt exhausted and had a host of mild medical issues. I'm a vegan and there's a vegan forum I hang out on and someone mentioned TDE and I've boosted my calorie intake to at least 1500/day and I have felt so much better, but I'm a little freaked about it being hard to lose weight. I'm 148 now and I'm trying to get to my pre-pregnancy weight (my kid is ALMOST SEVEN) of around 123. I got as low as 133 and have recently jumped to 151 but it's going down slowly again.
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • nano5th
    nano5th Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, it's been awhile since you posted, but I wanted to reply and say that I'm new and your post was the first post I ever read in the forum. I'd been on the 1200 calories for a few weeks and thought maybe since I didn't have a lot of weight to lose, maybe it was the right number for me. But beginning right about when I read your post, I completely plateaued, and I was miserable because I felt like i couldn't eat ANYTHING. I remembered your post and I went back into the goals and set it to maintenance and started aiming for just 100-200 less than it told me for maintenance. After plateauing on 1200, I went up to 1500-1700 per day and I couldn't believe that right away my weight was slowly and steadily ticking down again.

Your post came at just the right time and saved my diet, my sanity, and possibly even my health Thank you for sharing!
  • sunshinesoprano
    sunshinesoprano Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    SPOT ON! I went to a 1200 cal diet per my doctor's advisement and it worked great until I hit 50lbs. Now I'm plateaued because I can't possibly live on 1200 cals anymore. Thank you for sharing.
  • appifanie
    appifanie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Walla

Voila

<3 Walla is like my #1 pet peeve.
  • chivitaxxv
    Options
    Everyday on the message boards there is at least one topic about exercise calories and 1200 calories being right or not. I'm not going to tell anyone what to do or not to do but I want to share my story.

When I started back on MFP in May I knew nothing about BMR, TDEE, net calories, starvation mode, etc. and I really didn't care. I knew I wanted to lose weight and get healthy so I plugged my numbers in and was given a number of 1310 by MFP. So I quickly lost 10 pounds and plugged my numbers in again and Walla, 1200 was the magic number, or so I thought.

I quickly lost another 10 pounds. This was over a six week period. I was over the moon happy. But I started to notice some things. First I was reading in the forums about net calories and exercise calories so I looked at mine. I wasn't eating my exercise calories and I put in some huge burns. My net calories were negative more than they were positive. I thought I was doing things right.

But, some other things happened. My hair started falling out, my skin was wrinkling even with 8-10cups of water a day, I was exhausted, my pee was no longer bright yellow from my vitamin, my IBS was out of control, and I stopped losing weight.

So I thought that I'd try increasing to 1500 calories, I couldn't get there because I was "too busy" to eat. Instead I started Zumba. I lost another 4 pounds but still had all these physical symptoms.

I finally messaged someone on MFP who always responded to these 1200 calorie forums non-judgmentally. That changed my way of thinking and I am grateful to this person. I am now eating at my TDEE minus 20%, which is around 2150 calories. I don't make it every day but I also don't eat less than 1800 calories. I do have to supplement with protein shakes. However, I am losing weight at a slow and steady rate, my IBS is under control with food alone, I have boundless energy, my skin looks amazing, my weight fluctuations have gone from 7 pounds to 2 pounds, and most importantly my hair has not only quit falling out but is also growing back.

I just started training with a trainer and dietician. His first comment to me was to quit counting calories altogether. Not going to happen. His second comment, "you're my first female client in months I haven't had to convince to eat more."

This is my story, take it for what it is. Some will agree and some will disagree with what I am doing. I am not telling anyone to change but for those who are frustrated there are other options, that's all I want you to take away from this.

Good luck to everyone in this journey for it is one of the, if not the, toughest battle of your life.

Thank you. I have been experiencing the same symptoms that you've described. I will implement my TDEE method. However, I will try deducting only 15% for now.
  • KatrinaDelRey
    KatrinaDelRey Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!
    I too struggled with 1200 calories. I wasn't losing weight and just felt terrible.
    Now that I have upped them a bit, I'm feeling great!
    I wish you the best =]
  • cmh7770
    cmh7770 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey Thanks so much! This is an issue for me. What is your TDEE??? I was just talking about this yesterday with a good friend who is also working out and eating more. I have been sticking with 1200 cals and feeling just awful. Not really losing either. How do I know how much to eat? should I stick with what MFP suggests? Or do you use a different formula?
    I really need some help here..miserable cause I'm always dieting and then on the weekends binging now so..not good!
  • cmh7770
    Options
    Can someone please explain what the TDEE is? I'm so confused. Thanks!
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Hey Thanks so much! This is an issue for me. What is your TDEE??? I was just talking about this yesterday with a good friend who is also working out and eating more. I have been sticking with 1200 cals and feeling just awful. Not really losing either. How do I know how much to eat? should I stick with what MFP suggests? Or do you use a different formula?
    I really need some help here..miserable cause I'm always dieting and then on the weekends binging now so..not good!
    Your TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure. This is how much your body burns in an entire day both from exercise and from the energy it takes to keep your body functioning, like digestion and organ function and breathing. Basically, whatever you do in a day from start to finish is your TDEE. This number depends on your age, height, weight, sex, and activity level. A website like this can help you get an idea of an average TDEE based on your stats:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Your own TDEE might be higher/lower than an online calculator suggests, and it takes a bit of trial and error to figure that out. As long as you eat less than your TDEE, you will lose weight. Stick to 80-85% of your TDEE for fat loss.

You can also use MFP's numbers. Set it to lose 1 lb a week, and then EAT BACK EXERCISE CALORIES. If you set MFP to sedentary, and then you exercise 5 days a week, you should be netting 1200, not grossing 1200 calories per day.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post. There are so many people that don't listen, and then get frustrated by always being exhausted, or other things physical things starting to go crazy (all messages from the body that something is wrong). You are one smart cookie to listen to what your body was telling you!

Congratulations on your success:drinker:
  • Birdlet
    Birdlet Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Fitbit seems to calculate something like TDEE as it adjust how much I can eat thoughout the day depending on how much I exercise and how many steps I have done. Does anyone know if the fitbit calculation is fairly accurate?
  • Dottie27
    Dottie27 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story in a nice way that is sure to help many of us searching for answers.
  • cmh7770
    Options
    Hey Thanks so much! I guess i am just so afraid to gain weight but I really am quite active and, since starting to do Jillian Michaels Body Revolution (a great 1/2 hr workout a day) I have been feeling really awful! And, not losing weight.... so thanks. If you think the MFP calculator is correct I'll start using it. My issue with MFP is that there are numerous calorie counts for the same foods so sometimes you have to guestimate . I guess it doesnt have to be totally exact. Thanks for your help! I'm going to eat my calories and put back some of the whole grains and carbs that I've taken out.
  • jackienborg
    Options
    Sorry, I'm a newb to MFP. And I got the magic 1200 number as well. What is TDEE?

Nevermind - I just read more posts! So, if I'm understanding this right, MFP suggests 1200 calories a day, so if I exercise and burn 350 calories, then I should eat 1550 calories, is that correct?