Walking to lose weight

Options

Replies

• hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    YES! Walking is great for loss. I walk/run, but my running is not fast at all. Doesnt matter WHAT you do to exercize, as long as you get off the couch and do what you love. I have never been a "runner", but i consider myself one now, even though I walk A LOT. But- 6 5k's this year speaks for itself for me... Good luck in your journey! KEEP ON WALKIN!
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    In for later reading.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Walking is pretty much all I do.
  • pearlmorning
    pearlmorning Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I started walking this summer and like "Forrest Gump" I just couldn't quit. I started with 1 mile most days and ended with usually 5 and often 7 a day. I walked a personal challenge of 10 miles one Sunday with no trouble. I don't power walk I average a 17 min. mile. by myself and if my dog or family want to go with I don't worry about speed or it wouldn't be fun for them. I started in Mar. with MFP and have reached my goal losing 56 lbs. Walking made me happy, less hungry and using Runtastic on my phone I charted burned cals. with each walk.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am a walker!

When I started my journey in August 2013, the only exercise I added in was brisk walking for 1.5 hours a day, 5 days a week. Today I weighed in at -24 lbs from my starting weight. =) I am now adding in more hot yoga (I used to go once a week, or every two weeks) and some strength training sessions with a personal trainer. Walking was a great way to get started though, and I've had great results pairing it with healthy eating. Best of luck!
  • jenjune42014
    jenjune42014 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    walking is by far my favorite exercise. You clear head and help your body at the same time. I use a heartrate monitor to keep me at a pace that is adequate to lose weight. The last year has been hard for me because I manage to sprain both my ankles and had to go back to physical therapy. But my tape measure tells the story of what success you can have once you commit back to it. I drop and 1/2 an inch off every place on my body so, now I'm gradually increasing to pre-injury status and will be aiming at 5 miles per day.
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 20lbs just walking and tracking my food. Then I started adding in other things. It is getting you moving that matters, not really how. Just go by what your body is telling you.
  • RickyLuvsMary4ever
    Options
    It's so easy to do it seems like it does not work, but yes it works!

I have a Jawbone UP, that records steps. Walking is my main form of exercise. I started off walking a mile a day. Now I am up to 6 miles a day.

Losing two pounds a week, eating about 1500 calories a day. Walking works!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,085 Member
    Options
    I agree especiallly after suffering through tendonitis. I do not want to do anything that will risk that again. I walk 30-60 minutes a day and lost 25 pounds since June 2012. I've kept it off for one year. I love walking. :love:
    exercise is exercise, power walk and use your arms try walking uphill, strap on some ankle weights!

Walking is very good, strapping ankle weights is not; and the same applies to hand weights.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ankle-weights/AN01867
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=84
  • rocjunkie
    rocjunkie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I walk every day and have built up to 7 miles a day. I go early in the morning and get it done. I have been counting calories and have lost 31 pounds. The important thing is not the distance but getting out and putting in, at the minimum, thirty minutes at least to get the heart pumping and your rate going. I have the time to go the distance I am at but it doesn't have to be for every one. I use to be a jogger and runner, but my knees and back won't take the pounding any more, so I walk, and it has served me well.

Good luck, and keep exercising.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Are there any walkers out there that are succeeding at losing weight? I use to run all of the time, but gaining 100 pounds has made that very hard to do anymore. I've been walking my dog, about two miles a day; and sometimes I double up my walks and walk on lunch too. Has anyone just used walking as their cardio and seen results?

Thanks,

Brittany

Walking 2 miles a day won't do much. You'll need to exercise more or have a strict diet to lose a good amount.
  • littlegem65
    littlegem65 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have lost 43 pounds from walking M-F at a brisk pace 4mph to 4.5 mph. I also watch what I eat. You CAN lose weight walking and eating sensibly.

:)
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I walk just about every day (with the exception of Sunday and bad weather days). I've lost almost 10 pounds in a month and a half since I started back at this thing with walking alot.
  • waltersro2012
    waltersro2012 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I've lost 33 pounds since May, I believe it is mainly because of walking. My husband and I live 36 miles from work, he has to be at work an hour before me. So, I have him drop me off a little more than a mile from my work. I carry my lunch and a change of shoes in my huge bag and head off to work. During my lunch hour, I walk for at least 40-50 minutes. I average about 4.5 miles a day during the week. On the weekends, I don't walk but I'm active doing house work and yard work. My motivation to walk is; RunKeeper ( I love this app :love: ) and the occasional compliment from my husband; "your hips are shrinking", "you looked dang good walking across the parking lot :blushing: " He's a keeper :heart: .

Good luck to you, it can be done :flowerforyou:
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, you lose weight by eating at a caloric deficit. Walking, or any other cardio exercise will burn calories and make it easier to maintain a deficit. Good luck!
  • waltersro2012
    waltersro2012 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Another motivation - the MYA(Move Your *kitten*) Challenge. Just set a goal on the amount of miles you plan on walking in a month, post daily, weekly, whenever and they keep a spreadsheet. The people on there are very inspiring and motivational.
  • red0202
    red0202 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes, walking helps losing weight. I am with MFP for almost 6 months but in first 4 months (for the last 2 months my weidht is stagnant) I lost ~35lbs just by controlling the diet to suggested level and walk about 5-6 miles everyday.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have a genetic lung condition that inhibits me running in any form. I can walk. I started out slow and gradually increased the speed. I can now do a 15 min mile. It may not seem like much but when you only have 30% of your lungs left its pretty darn good. I cant honestly say it was all walking that lost all the weight. I did Wii Just Dance also. I also have an elliptical that we bought after taxes that is in my bedroom.

Think of it this way. If you get a treadmill or elliptical either set up a laptop or tv by it. Instead of just watching tv, stream your shows and exercise at the same time. Thats what I do. It keeps me occupied and not staring at the clock. Good Luck :)
  • kumikosan8910
    Options
    i started walking last week. after being shocked in finding out i now weigh 196lbs. i realized all these fat could possibly kill me. i walk from my office to my house in the afternoon, a good 4 miles. then i put in an extra mile in the mornings on my way to work. so far i lost 4lbs but still not visibly noticeable. on my first day, my legs felt like they were ready to cramp halfway my route. it got better each day. my goal is to lose 30lbs in one year. i am so sick of crash dieting, i tied oatmeal diet, no rice diet, no carbs diet and i failed each time. in my desperation i even bought some diet pills but decided against taking them. it would be great if i could go shopping for jeans in December, because lately i could only fit into plus size capris.
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I walk everyday after dinner for about an hour. I have lost over 8lbs last two weeks just walking leisurely and logging in consistently my calories at 1200. I have found out that I have diastasis recti and I am doing only walking and appropriate stretches to heal first, before doing any hard cardio or toning...I hope that helps.

All the best :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!