A poll to convince my a**hole boyfriend he's wrong

Options
Is it physically possible for a woman to lose 100 pounds in 4 months??????????? I mean, of course there is the "you never know what can happen" and blah blah blah, but I'm speaking REALISTICALLY. He assures me that if I "go hard" in the gym everyday, that there is NO REASON why I shouldn't be able to do it. This is his way of "motivating" me. Pssssssssshhh.

Thoughts?

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Get a new boyfriend - one that does not utter such idiotic and unscientific crap.....
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    25 lbs a month seems excessive and unhealthy and hard to maintain if it is even done. Without spending you entire day devoted to meal planning and exercising I don't see how that could be possible. 2 lbs a week is a safe and maintainable weight loss amount.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Is it physically possible for a woman to lose 100 pounds in 4 months??????????? I mean, of course there is the "you never know what can happen" and blah blah blah, but I'm speaking REALISTICALLY. He assures me that if I "go hard" in the gym everyday, that there is NO REASON why I shouldn't be able to do it. This is his way of "motivating" me. Pssssssssshhh.

Thoughts?

There is no healthy way to do it. Even doing it unheathily, it's a far stretch, IMO.
  • marcgo2
    marcgo2 Posts: 15
    Options
    Find a new boyfriend.
  • emuravyeva
    emuravyeva Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Unless you're on The Biggest Loser, living on a several thousand calorie deficit daily, and working out endlessly, this is a crazy idea. In fact, I'd argue that it would be a very bad thing to try (for your health) without some serious medical supervision. You could, as he says, "go hard," but you'd probably injure yourself. Hard. No offence, but your boyfriend sounds like an idiot.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much she weighs I suppose, and how she goes about it. That said though, you'd be likely to suffer severe heart muscle damage from losing that much weight that fast, it's just not healthy, and neither is heart failure.

Rigger
  • arson714
    arson714 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    First off, this sounds like a pretty healthy relationship. Secondly, losing 100 pounds is absolutely possible but 4 months is pushing it. Realistically losing 1-2 pounds a week is healthy weight loss. "Going hard" doesn't mean anything if your diet sucks.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I know there is a man on here who started in September and lost 100 pounds by January- but I also know he was very overweight, and he went to the doctor and was on a liquid diet of some kind- he then switched to calorie counting and a normal life.

I think he is being unrealistic, and encouragement is one thing, berating is another. Is it time for you to consider finding a different boyfriend maybe?
  • caitlinlaura00
    Options
    Get a new boyfriend - one that does not utter such idiotic and unscientific crap.....

AMEN!!
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    look, if you asked him if it's possible to loose 100 in 4 months, then for sure he gave you the boyfriend answer - the one you wanted to hear. now, if you didn't ask him and he is pushing you to loose 100 in 4 months then it's time for a new boyfriend, methinks
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

25 pounds a month sounds a little unrealistic, to me at least.....
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Assuming 4 weeks in a month, thats 16 weeks. That would lead to an average of 6.25 lbs per week. Not even close to realistic.

You are either bad at picking up on your boyfriends use of hyperbole or he is an idiot.

If you are very overweight I could see a 40 or 50 lb mark but that would be higher than normally recommeneded. Good luck to you!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    You could lose a lot more than that in an instant. Dump the idiot boyfriend.
  • xoxo_Jennifer
    Options
    I honestly don't think his intentions are to be that harsh about it... He really does encourage me.... However, he's a man, who has always been trim and as of right now he's just toning up and building muscle. I just don't think he can relate! ........ Maybe? lol
  • scottgobuck
    scottgobuck Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    get a new boyfriend, get one that has a brain this time
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Your boyfriend wants you to lose 100 lbs in 4 months, and you go on the Internet calling him an a**hole. Sounds like a match made in heaven.
  • Skyebella27
    Options
    Maybe if he really "goes hard" at it, he can grow himself a bigger hotdog in 4 months.....

But in all seriousness, I think he's been watching too many episodes of the Biggest Loser....sure, if you are working out 8 hours a day and eating 1200-1300 calories a day, then I'm sure you could lose that weight in 4 months (if you have a ton to lose). But realistically, no, it's not going to happen lol.
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    You could lose a lot more than that in an instant. Dump the idiot boyfriend.

^^THIS! Love this response!!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Assuming 4 weeks in a month, thats 16 weeks. That would lead to an average of 6.25 lbs per week. Not even close to realistic.

You are either bad at picking up on your boyfriends use of hyperbole or he is an idiot.

If you are very overweight I could see a 40 or 50 lb mark but that would be higher than normally recommeneded. Good luck to you!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

Does he have a life insurance policy out on you?

Realistically, there is no way that 100 lbs in 4 months is even remotely healthy. You could probably lose a good deal of weight on a medically supervised VLCD, but I wouldn't recommend it.