A poll to convince my a**hole boyfriend he's wrong

Options

Replies

• BHKLEIN
    BHKLEIN Posts: 104
    Options
    Well..... let's see, that would be 25 lbs a month with an average month of 30 days you would have to loose on average .83 lbs a day, every day or between exercise and calories you would have to cut back and burn about 2,916 cals a day to loose that kind of weight. It's crazy! It's been done but it's not realistic at all. Esp. not in a healthy way or if you want to keep all the weight off longer term. 30-40 lbs is a bit more realistic. Unless he wants you to spend all day and possible all night exercising and get a complete cleanse while not hardly eatting, it's not going to happen. Not to mention, with the amount of exercise and lack of food that would take to acheive that kind of loss, you would probably be the crabbiest person ever!!!!!
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    You could lose a lot more than that in an instant. Dump the idiot boyfriend.

QFT
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    How do we know he's an idiot though?

Maybe the OP was all "I am eating 300 calories a day, I don't actually log any food, I work out 3 hours a day, I only sleep 3 hours a day and I am not losing any weight!" and the boyfriend is all "hey, hon, slow and steady will win the race!" and she's all "yeah I'll prove you wrong and lose 25lbs a month you a-hole!!!"

:laugh:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid getting involved in other peoples' relationship problems.
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It is possible. I did it. I went from 370 to 266 in my first 4 months(may 2010-sept 2010). I didn't work. I was a stay at home mom and i was exercising around the clock and super cautious of what i ate. it is possible but not likely for the average person.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is entirely possible. In fact, you could lose much more than that (I assume). Dump his sorry *kitten* and then you will be at least 100 pounds lighter :flowerforyou:
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Is it physically possible for a woman to lose 100 pounds in 4 months???????????

Sure. Double or quadruple amputation would do it. Even someone morbidly can't expect 5-6 lbs of weight loss a week.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Assuming 4 weeks in a month, thats 16 weeks. That would lead to an average of 6.25 lbs per week. Not even close to realistic.

You are either bad at picking up on your boyfriends use of hyperbole or he is an idiot.

If you are very overweight I could see a 40 or 50 lb mark but that would be higher than normally recommeneded. Good luck to you!

This... think about it. That's almost a pound a day. If you use the standard understanding that you need a calorie deficit of 3,500 to lose a pound of body fat, I don't know how you do that in a single day, every day. Imagine how much that is if you ate a bare minimum of 1200 a day (which many people think is too low to begin with) and that's not even discussing whether or not eating at 1200 that much has an adverse effect on metabolism.

I won't say its impossible... I am going to say that it would so extreme as to be unrealistic, not practical, and most importantly, not healthy.
  • yoscarlino
    yoscarlino Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Get a new boyfriend - one that does not utter such idiotic and unscientific crap.....
    this!!!! and one that is concerned about your health!!!!!!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    That kind of thing happens all the time on TV like on the show Extreme Makeover Weight loss edition. For that reason it's getting into the collective consciousness as "doable".

Caveats your boyfriend should keep in mind.

1) those people are extremely obese and bigger people lose more in the beginning (notice their weight goals go down).
    2) those shows are supervised when filming and etc.
    3) those people are selected from a vast number to be able to have dramatic results
    4) they have considerable support a regular person doesn't

All that said, there is no reason you cannot have some very dramatic results of your own in that time frame.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to stay with someone you call an a**hole because of the fact that he wants to change you super quick into someone else rather than love and support you to lose weight the healthy way after the decision to do it yourself?

The issue here is not your physical fitness and whether the loss is possible. The issue is your mental and emotional fitness. Even if you did lose the weight, how would you feel about yourself afterwards knowing that you stressed your body majorly both physically and emotionally just to prove something to HIM?
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    In the past 3 1/2 months I've lost 29 pounds.

I feel good.
    I look better.
    I'm making lifestyle changes.
    I'm not frustrated with unrealistic goals.

There's a smarter way to lose weight then "digging in" starving yourself and working out every waking minute.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    sure dump the boyfriend over the next four months...

BOOM....

100+ pounds gone in less than four months

footloose and fancy free too!!!

I can't see a negative at this point.\

oh and it's HEALTHY!
  • appifanie
    appifanie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to stay with someone you call an a**hole because of the fact that he wants to change you super quick into someone else rather than love and support you to lose weight the healthy way after the decision to do it yourself?

The issue here is not your physical fitness and whether the loss is possible. The issue is your mental and emotional fitness. Even if you did lose the weight, how would you feel about yourself afterwards knowing that you stressed your body majorly both physically and emotionally just to prove something to HIM?

nicely said!

a friend of mine said she lost over 100 pounds really quick - she broke up with her boyfriend.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm totally jealous of your awesome relationship.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I have to ask the question - Why would you want to? It didn't take you 4 months to gain 100 lbs, did it? Why would you want to lose it that fast? If you take it slower, a couple of lbs a week, it gives your skin time to respond, and hopefully firm as you go.

All I can see that you'll get out of that fast of a weight loss (and yes it is possible, people that have bariatric surgery have those kinds of losses frequently), is a ton of loose skin, hair loss, lack of energy and sex drive, dry skin, possible heart damage, the list goes on. I don't see any up side to losing weight that fast unless your health is so bad now you have nothing to lose.
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I think you should lose as much weight as possible in a healthy and rational way. Then, plan a romantic date night, put on the sexiest outfit you have ever owned, pour him a nice glass of wine, and dump him.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Dump the boyfriend and you immediately lose a couple hundreds pounds of useless weight. 100 lbs/120 days = .83333 pounds a day. That's about 3000 calorie deficit a day. I weight 200 pounds and I need to run 7 miles in 60 minutes to lose 1000 calories. Sooooo..... if you stop eating completely and run a couple hours a day, at your target heart rate, you could easily find yourself in the ER long before the end of the 4 months.
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You could lose more than 100 pounds in five minutes... unless your a**hole boyfriend only weighs 99 pounds! :glasses:
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I can't possibly top some of the great responses so far, so my answer is:

No.

Edit for typo