WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    Michelle~ yes that is her, and it might have cooled off for a bit during the divorce,but now all is back on.. so he bought a new king mattress and is having the bedroom floors redone.. wants it nice for the honey...again I wish them both well.. Tom was good for a couple of years and then things started getting worse.. so hey if she is up for the challenge better her than me, Tom and I will stay friends and the dogs , well I love them dearly... so that is all I have to say about that(in a forest gump voice)
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Penny now I'm curious, who was the violinist?
    Of course you would want to know, Karen. :heart:

It was Henning Kraggerud. At the same dinner we had cellist Truls Mørk. Both supernovas, at least on the Norwegian firmament. My oh my was that special!

/Penny
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    <3 Good morning all! Happy Monday! I spent the weekend doing very little. I feel a bit guilty for that. Saturday on the boat was fantastic and relaxing and time flew by as I let my body and soul be bathed in sun, water and wind. I was kind of happy to arrive home at 6:30 that evening to find both my son and hubby asleep. I would have felt guilty at having such a wonderful day and one had to work and the other simply wasn't up to the boat trip. I had plans to continue with the storage building and finish my entryway alcove yesterday; but all I did was make some meatloaf and mashed potatoes for my family and for my inlaws, start some chicken in the crock pot, and do some laundry. I did call my sister in FL, who I haven't talked to since her visit in July. I found out she has been busy putting flooring down in her entire home!! She is older than me (57) and has had a couple of back surgeries. Like me, she works full time to support her family as her hubby is also unable to work due to health issues. We are very similar, she and I. Except she is a LOT more extroverted (extra extroverted) and a LOT more "in your face" about things she is passionate about. (I find that part about her, extremely irritating).
    Machka- Wow! Love, love, love the Zwift photos you shared! I had no idea that others who are using it and using the same route at the time you are would show up on your screen! That is TOO cool!!
    NY Karen- Oh! <3 That story about your violin teacher! Playing (without instrument) while he was interred in a camp is so unbelievably inspiring! What a strong soul he has/had!
    Penny- Yes! Muscle memory! It does make sense that something that you have done so often that it becomes automatic, like breathing, would stay with you! It certainly explains why my mother in law, just continues to deteriorate as she ages. She has never had to do anything for herself, except cook and keep house, and her second husband did all of that for her when they married. She never developed any sort of active hobby. So...now that she is in her 80s and developing health issues she doesn't walk, doesn't do the recommended exercises, she just sits and does nothing. Frustrating for me to watch. But definitely a wake up call for me to keep moving!

Sending hugs to all of the rest of you! You ladies are all so inspiring to me with your energy and joie de vivre! <3:*B)
    ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Morning all... 5:30 a.m. Mountain Time, been up since a bit after 3 a.m. Started convincing myself just after midnight to go BACK to sleep about once every hour, so got a bit over five and a half hours sleep, in the end. That's fine. It's when I drop down to the four-hour mark that I start having some issues. It's not the going to sleep that gets me, it's the staying asleep that is hard.

The flights were ok getting here, only one scary moment on landing... and starting this trip means I only have two more to go, end of September and mid-October, and I'm done for the year. Hopefully, anyway.

We're meeting with the representative of the national organization, so I'm literally going to be in meetings every minute of the day. One of those things where appointment to the senior leadership team is kind of a mixed blessing, as meetings are not exactly my favorite way to spend a Monday. Or any other day. Keep a good thought for me to NOT fall asleep mid-afternoon, please. I'm usually at the other end of a phone, where I can hit mute and no one can hear me snore! Having people seeing me nod off would be a faux pas of no small proportions. :smiley:

And on that note, thank you for all the kind words. I tend to muse a lot here, as well as elsewhere, on the "whys" of this life, and I'm glad there is some value in that for y'all.

On the whole "muscle memory" thing, I think best with my fingers on a keyboard. If I have to actually LOOK at the keyboard, I don't know where the keys are at all. My eyes have never gotten grooved into where the keys are on a keyboard, one of the reasons why I text slowly and with great effort.

I bless my luck in having the best typing teacher in the known world in high school... it's come in awfully handy throughout my adult life... and it's kind of fascinating when I occasionally allow myself to be aware that my fingers "think" my sentences, often before they're consciously generated by my brain. Luckily, my fingers are more tactful than the rest of me.

Most of the time.
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in El Paso 'til Thursday
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Muscle memory my motor coordination disability was described to my mother ( in the 1970’s - so I’m sure there is better info now) as my brain saying one thing but as it sends the signal to my muscles the signal gets corrupted going through some abnormal synapses. Fine motor control is much more affected than my gross motor control.

In my mind, it is muscle memory that has ‘saved me’.

For example, the first time I took typing I (predictably) flunked it. I practiced for another 6 months and took the class (high school semester long) again. This time I passed, but with a very poor grade. Practiced another 6 months and took typing yet again. I think I ended up with an A- grade that time. So after two years (roughly) of typing drills it is my muscles that do the talking. (Well that is what it feels like to me). Kinda like my brain is making the connections backwards. The Muscles probe the brain for the next word and type it. Then they check in again to find the next word or sentence... BUT every time I try to think about the act of typing tho, I lose the magic.

Similarly, taking up Hula Hooping (gross motor control with which I have less difficulty) - it took my husband playing an interesting pod cast in the other room that peaked my interest. I strained to hear it and listened to it and realized I’d been hula hooping for 7 minutes (previous record 1 minute).

I can ‘learn’ repetitive physical tasks - just have to turn the brain off - and if they require any type of fine control I need to drill the movements into the muscles.

But engage the brain in the process again and I’m lost.

I know I’m no violinist but at my best I was typing 75 words per minute. Something I remain inordinately proud of, I admit. So I follow Machka’s husband’s recovering stories with great interest and also was fascinated by how the violinist describes it.

Rye, now off to jury duty.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    Lllll
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :) The line dancing I do relies on muscle memory. Sometimes in class we'll try to remember how a dance starts and as soon as the music comes on we all start dancing and don't miss a step. I haven't been dancing for about six weeks but I can lie in bed with music playing and move my feet to the steps. However, while dancing if I allow my mind to wander to my shopping list or what to have for lunch I can lose track of where I am in the dance and get totally confused. Muscle memory and focus go together.

<3 Barbie in chilly beautiful NW Washington
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    just a quick fly-by post! Stepped on the scale and I am down 1 pound! Woohoo! this is from when I last posted my weight, which was 3 weeks ago. Had some distressing news from the scale a few times since then and refused to post, but now that I'm going back in the right direction I shall check in weekly!
    Rye, I know it was awhile ago that you posted it, but I did get quite a chuckle out of your insolent Wii and what it had to say because of you not using it for so long! Cheeky thing... Also, love the photos of Kidd Kirby... Haven't had a cuddly cat for over 30 years, sure miss that. Now of course we have no critters and I'm kind of okay with that. Don't miss scooping that litter box!
    Penny, thanks for the info about the sourdough. My recipe calls for the basic starter to "cook" for 4 or 5 days, then yeast is added and it's to go another 5-7 days. I will try baking on day 5 and see what happens. I am a little worried as the recipe also says to just cover it with a towel, I put it in a plastic bag. The bag was open, to allow gas etc to escape, but I wonder if that did something else to it. I did switch to a towel once I added the yeast, we'll see what happens tomorrow!
    On muscle memory, yes, that happens at work too. There are a few things we do at the end of the day, one of which is a walk thru of the entire building, looking for stuff that shouldn't be there etc. We also turn off the two open signs and lock two doors. I have never questioned myself about the doors, but I often have had to go back an check the one sign (the one that is furthest from the office of course!) as I can't remember if I turned it off or not. I always have already done it, but if my mind is somewhere else and I just do it automatically.....
    Okay, this is not longer a quick fly-by post! lol
    Hugs to those who need them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    I didn't have much time to catch up over the weekend. So I was 70 some posts behind this morning when I started to read.

My daughters had a surprise 50th birthday party for me on Saturday night. I knew something was happening but wasn't sure exactly what. It was a dinner at Olive Garden there were 16 people there and my youngest daughter had friends and family in NB send video messages for me to view. It was a wonderful surprise and evening.

I got all of the "new to me" appliances delivered Saturday and spent the day yesterday getting my house back in order. I did take a quick trip to Ikea with my granddaughter to get a new bath mat and shower curtain to go with my newly painted bathroom. I just need to decorate the walls now and that will be done.

Sinkholes - I had a friend like that. She would talk forever about anything and everything and not ask about you. When she went into the hospital and was diagnosed with bi-polar in 2016 she changed, she rarely talks about herself now. I miss parts of the old her now.

TV-Cable - Our cable bill is crazy expensive as well, but this is our entertainment and includes our internet.

Haircuts - I hate spending money on haircuts and would usually get a cut that when it grew out would look good for months. Now my daughter is in hairdressing school, so I no longer need to worry!

I know there is much more I wanted to comment on and can't remember it all now.
    Happy Monday all.
    Tracey in a cold rainy (at least it's not snow again) Edmonton
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My goal for Sept is to get into a new decade with my weight. As of today .8 # loss will get me over the line!
    2162641 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hi skinnys ! d37nsd2ddqk2.jpg
  • VictoriaLWill
    VictoriaLWill Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, new here. Just turned 50 this year. I need to lose 30 lbs, and I have done it before so I know I can. Wanted to know if anyone else struggles with this: During the week I am super disciplined, log all food, eat healthy and exercise. Then, Fri, Sat & Sun I get completely off track. We live in a super social neighborhood and there is always something going on that involves food & beer/wine. I love being social but I eat and drink too much at all of these events. If I skip them and stay home I start feeling depressed. Basically what's happening is I lose during the week, gain it back on weekends and just staying the same. Does anyone else have a similar issue?
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Welcome Victoria! I too live in a very social neighborhood. I decided that for me, drinking my calories wasn't going to work. With that decision made, not drinking at the functions was no problem. I take a tea-water (water with a couple of herbal tea cubes in it for flavor) with me and drink that. There is normally decaf iced tea, so I will refill my water with a splash of decaf tea while I am there. As for the food, I will eat a HUGE salad before I go so that I am not starving. Then, I eat what I want as long as it fits in my calories.

I hope that helps you. Feel free to ask me anything. I am working on maintaining an 85 lbs loss that I completed in March.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Betty: I visited the Chihuly Gallery/Museum with DS and DDIL a few years ago. It was amazing. The colors and artistry were beautiful. I’m glad you enjoyed your time there. :flowerforyou:

Heather: It sounds as though your visit with your cancer friend was an excellent one. :star::heart:

Meg: I am happy to see you posting again. Three cheers! :bigsmile:

We stopped by the RV at the repair place and picked up items that we forgot to unload. There is an issue with the front left brake that may turn out to be more expensive than we would like. I hope that it is not going to cost too much. We won’t know for a while. It appears that we drove for some distance with the parking brake engaged. OOPS. This was probably a mistake I made. :embarrassed:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Katla - I really love my cancer friend and she is excellent company. We talk about everything, including arrangements for death etc. I will sorely miss her. <3<3<3 She has had the secondary cancers now for 11 years. She discovered her secondaries when I found my primary. It is just one of those wonderful friendships when you really "get" each other.

DH and I strolled down to the pub for dinner. I usually have two starters, which were delicious - scallops and chorizo on pea puree and crispy duck salad with watermelon and hoisin sauce. Yum.
    DH had his usual fish and chips with mushy peas. When it came it wasn't properly cooked through. We sent it back. The second one that arrived wasn't much better and he doubted it was actually the cod it claimed to be. We sent it back again and he ordered a repeat of my dishes.
    They still insisted it was cod, but did say it was a smaller portion than previously. (Normally it's great) DH swears it was pollock, or catfish. Anyway, it was still nice to stroll out down the lane on a warm evening. I allowed myself a beer. B)

Back to yoga tomorrow and DH wants to take me on a new path he has discovered for my run. Nice to do it together.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx