WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2018

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
    I got a new song for my playlist, kinda excited to hear it when it comes on
  • mnhtnbb
    mnhtnbb Posts: 11 Member
    Hi all, thought I would check into your group. I'm well over 50--67 and counting--but I see there are a number of us who are definitely on the + side of 50 active on the board.

I lost 40 lbs about 7 years ago over the course of 9 months--kept it off for a couple of years--then slowly let it creep back. I kept telling myself I'll start next week and, of course, next week never came! Time to get serious. I'm going in for my 2nd hip replacement next month (the first was 11 years ago) on top of a knee replacement last year. Arthritis runs in my family since my mother, my brother, and my uncle (mother's brother) all had hip replacements. I really want to stop with this one! My other knee looks good so, hopefully, if I get the weight off of it they will only have to pick three joint replacements out of the ashes before they are poured into an urn some day.

I live in Raleigh where we've been on the outer edge of Florence for the last few days. Lost power--but only for 4 hours two days ago--and happy to have it restored so quickly. No flooding issues downtown where I live in a high rise apartment building. The coast and what is called the down east part of the state have been slammed. Horrible flooding with more to come as many rivers won't crest until later this week and it's still raining pretty hard in the center of the state.

Hi to Michele in NC. Are we neighbors? Have you been affected by the storm?

I look forward to chatting with all of you as I tackle losing the 50 lbs that need to come off. I do at least know what I'm doing this time and am already getting results after only a week of logging EVERY bite and all liquids
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
    Oooo
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Penny: We have river otters here, along with beaver, raccoons & nutria. The raccoons are the most damaging to homes. We had a freezing winter when they invaded the crawl space under our house & I still hold a grudge. I love the otters and beaver. Not fond of nutria. They were originally imported for the fur trade. Nobody liked their fur, and furs in general went out of style so the farmers turned them loose. :grumble:

Lisa: Thanks for letting us know that Michele checked in. I’ve worried about her because of the weather news. :star:

Barbie: The pork tenderloin recipe is clearly delicious. Thank you for sharing. :flowerforyou:

Peach: We threw away our slow cooker after we got sick from eating something we prepared in it. The thing didn’t get hot enough. Normally we’d have donated it someplace, but we didn’t think anyone else should get sick so we tossed it. :grumble:

Mnhtnbb: Welcome! :star:

Sharin in Seattle: Your body will transform as you keep on exercising and counting calories. Congratulations on quitting smoking! Be patient and kind with yourself. This system works, but it takes time. :flowerforyou:

We’re having a quiet day at home. Our dog’s bed, and who knows what else, was left in the RV when we took it in to have the brakes fixed. Hopefully we’ll be able to get in there and retrieve things tomorrow.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    :):)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    Evelyn I too am trying to cut out excess sugar. It is four months for me. It is not 100% for me either. I still have some maple sugar and honey. I just do not make it a staple like I did. Ice cream is the hardest for me. I find I do not miss the cookies and cakes so much. The sugars in fruits and veggies have fiber and more nutrients to offer than in processed foods.

I really enjoyed watching the monarchs today. This is one of their better years. They have been going in steady decline in recent years. I think there are more people like me who don't use the chemicals on their yards, allow milkweed in their gardens, and have other flowering plants for the monarchs. I didn't cut any zinnias to bring in for bouquets for this reason. I saves them for the bees and butterflies.

:heart: Margaret
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,311 Member
    Did Prevention’s Slim, Strong and Firm DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do some hula hoop, hold my plank, then take the extremepump class.

Kylia – welcome home

Kim – if the closest beauty school is far away, no, then it isn’t worth it to go there. You’d burn more in gas. Wow! $25 at the school!

Lisa – I agree with Evelyn. You give a lot here.

So very glad to know that I’m not the only one who gets into those “I really would rather not exercise” modes but pushes forward anyway. I thought maybe I was the only one who ever felt this way.

Katla – thank you for your concern. It’s just raining here now, not real heavy. The worst part was that the papers were wet! I don’t think the wind is strong enough to knock down the tree that I want down in the back of the property (nowhere near the house) Vince said the wind picked up last night but it’s not bad now. I understand that some evacuees are staying in Hickory (the city next to us) and hotels that normally don’t allow pets are allowing them for evacuees. I do hope the owner of the dog that came in our backyard comes for him or that he finds a good forever home. He was such a sweet dog! I told you we wouldn’t need the generator!

Allie – I must have missed it. Who is Elena? Was that the woman that Tom was cheating on you with? I thought when you found out about him fooling around, the girlfriend left him.

I, too, hope Wendy is OK

Rori – One time Vince asked me why I go to the Y for a water class when we have a pool, I just told him “our pool doesn’t go down to 10 feet”. He’s never asked me again. How deep does your pool go? If it doesn’t go below 5 feet or something like that, what kinds of exercises do you do in it? I’d love to find more exercises to do in the shallow end.

Mnh….Welcome. I’m in Newton (right below Hickory, exit 126 off 40). We’re sort-of neighbors, a distance away. We’ve only had rain, not nearly as heavy as was predicted. I didn’t think it would be because people were prepared. Vince said that yesterday people were coming out of Lowe’s Hardware with generators (which probably didn’t get used) and gallons and gallons of water (another thing that probably didn’t get used). On this thread we discuss all sorts of things (except politics and religion) because our lives affect how and what we eat. I know that I’m a boredom and stress eater.

Sharon in Seattle – 7 fused discs! In addition to your other problems. Lady, 1200 steps is a lot for you. Everyone does what they can.

Evelyn – share your recipe for the DIY Lara bars, please

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Michele: I am so relieved that you are okay. That is good news. :bigsmile:

Katla
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,787 Member
    :)
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited September 2018
    evie1958 wrote: »
    Going to start making my own sourdough bread soon! The starter has been "cooking" for several days now, as per the recipe that I have. Will bake the first loaf on Tuesday, kind of excited! A little worried too, as the starter really does stink! Anybody out there know if this is normal? I know it has to be sour, but it almost smells rotten.....
    Evelyn - I make sourdough bread and "almost rotten" doesn't sound right to me. When I intend to bake, I leave my starter overnight in the bathroom (the warmest room in the house). If I walk in there in the dark I can tell how the sourdough is doing from the smell. I'd describe it as more yeasty, fresh and yeasty, not rotten.

Good luck with your sourdough project, though. :smiley: Or maybe not. :wink: There's nothing more irresistable than fresh, crusty warm sourdough bread - and it demands to be anointed with butter. :confounded:

Today will be busy. I'll harvest the red currants and make jelly, run a couple machines of wash, prepare to close up the house winter style, and make tomorrow's breakfast in advance so we can be off early and catch the ferry.
    /Penny, in winter prep mode near the t07190.gif
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    trucker743 wrote: »
    Machka in Oz - What is “Zwifted”? Is it bicycling of some sort? The name sounds fun at any rate.

Sharin in Seattle Area

We have bicycles (road bicycles) set up on trainers inside the house. For years, we just rode the bicycles in the winter. I often did "commercial intervals" where I would ride easy during a TV program, and then ride as hard as I could during the commercial break.

But there is an online program called Zwift. Zwift has created a number of virtual reality routes and people from all over the world can connect in and ride those routes. So at any given time, I can ride with people from all over the place. When I ride, there are often people from Japan and Australia (of course), but for some reason also Canada. Perhaps the eastern Canadians are waking up then and going for a 'ride'.

My husband and I can usually see each other and ride with each other as well, although sometimes the program starts us some distance apart. Last night they started him about 1 km ahead of me, and I never did catch him.

In the images below, I'm the one in the jersey with the diagonal stripes of blue, pale yellow, etc. I like the retro-look jerseys. And that shows the quality of the 'scenery' we ride through.

https://zwift.com/

o97kdprmd5ay.png

gepiq6akwn9d.png

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Machka - Your post gets me thinking. First, I think it's in many ways wonderful that you didn't manage to catch up with your husband when he was placed just a kilometer ahead of you at the start. For my other reflections I have to go back in time and tell a story.

During a chamber music festival in Longyearbyen last February, I had the privilege of eating dinner with a supernova of the violinist universe. Earlier that day, we'd seen him play several long pieces from memory, without music. I asked him how he remembered it all and his answer surprised me. He said he practiced a lot (duh!) and I mumbled something about how that must set up memory pathways in his brain or his "ear". But he was dissatisfied with that description. He said it all boiled down to muscle memory. The fingerings, the complicated patterns, they were all embedded in his muscles, joints and tendons. His mental memory latched onto his muscle memory and together they led him through the piece.

Which brings me back to your husband. He's had a horrendously rough time, but apparently his legs still know how to ride a bicycle. It makes me wonder if all your many long rides before his accident established muscle memory that is benefiting him now.

/Penny

You're right. :)

My husband's muscle memory is pretty much entirely intact. I'm not going to say 100% because that's hard to tell, but his is well up there.

I started noticing it when he was given his first "meal". They told me he'd have to relearn how to use a spoon and everything, so his mushy meal arrived, and I scooped up some food to feed him, and he wasn't interested. So I put down the spoon, and about 2 minutes later, he picked it up and began feeding himself. Then he popped off the top of his dessert thing and ate that. Then he reached for the water bottle the included, he unscrewed the top drank from the bottle, and screwed the top back on.

And it's been like that ever since. Sometimes he has needed to be shown something, but then he's got it.

However, his Declarative and Episodic memories are patchy.

This diagram is pretty simplistic, and doesn't include Short Term memory (which is also somewhat patchy at times), but it's an approximate idea.

vlfvf0cd32z1.png

Also ... they say that the fact that he's not a smoker (that point was very important), and the fact that he was fit, is going a long way toward his continued recovery. So while he lost a lot of fitness, he came down from quite a high level. If he had been a couch potato and lost fitness, he'd have had a lot of difficulty even getting up and walking.

Machka in Oz

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited September 2018
    Thanks Penny! Those raspberries are humoungous...
    Rye back in the day we called your sinkhole types "psychic vampires", but "sinkhole" is much more apt. They are real energy drains.
    Lisa "mild phobia about walking on surfaces I can see through" Bingo. Right there with ya gal!
    Rori love Mars' swanky new planetary bandanna.
    Kim after a 70 minute phone call your mom hung up without waiting/asking to hear you say anything but "Um."? SMH! (((hugs))) Thank Goodness for this group, we WANT to hear what you have to say. And would love to see pics of your acquaintance's urban farm retreat.
    Evelyn and Sharon, ditto. I've been smoke free for 21 years but still huff and puff when going up the least little slope, and have to stop to catch breath on steeper climbs. Really hope taking more of the 40 extra pounds that I'm packing will help. Confess I fear COPD, especially after low oxygen numbers during sleep study.
    Michele, thanks VERY much for updating us on DJ.
    Machka Yay for taking a semester off and happy tears for being able to bike with your husband.
    Welcome Bioko from AZ, Ares1234 and mnhtnbb.

Too sleepy to tell the quest for the Pyrex measuring cup story, catch y'all later.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 16/16, vits 7/16, meditate 8/16, walk one more step 16/16, knee exercises 8/16, core 5/10, walk Tumble 5/10 times, SWSY 0/5, hang up or purge art 2!, AF 11/16.