LINKS in MFP you want to read again (and again)

Options

Replies

• LaurenLibra
    Options
    just thought I might bump this so....

bump!
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Which link answers my question: "Where did my lost weight go?"

Thanks!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Which link answers my question: "Where did my lost weight go?"

Thanks!

I don't know the answer to your question. The link is part of my forum signature.

But if I had to make an educated guess, I'd say:

- Calories equal energy. Energy used burns calories, which creates heat.
    So, evaporation of liquid (heat) accounts for some.

- The rest is lost through elimination. When you burn any type of fuel, there is only the byproduct of the combustion left. So your body eliminates the waste products, the unusable leftovers that have been stripped of nutrients needed to fuel your body.
  • nannascot
    nannascot Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thats in my topics now too - thanks
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    A Valentine's Day Love BUMP!!!
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Options
    Bump
  • cmriverside
    Options
    new.gif

This one is really good: read it! (I posted it below)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/41685-how-it-s-done-tips-from-me-to-you
    _______________________________________________________________________________
    From SHBoss1673 (.....aka banks1650.... aka the "Banksinator")

Thu 2/19/2009 6:01 AM

this will be loooong, bear with me. I encourage other sucess stories (Tam, FC, Kerri...et all) to give their stories or tips as well.

I wanted to write a post on some of the combined knowledge that we have learned by being on MFP. Becoming healthy isn't easy for most of us. And along the way we hear rumors, myths, and plain lies about how to lose weight. We so desparately want to lose that we listen to almost any crazy, extreme, and odd diet around, usually having limited or initial sucess followed by long term failure, and sometimes permenant medical conditions.

So with that said, here's my little diatribe on how to think about the notion of becoming healthy.

This is all my opinion, take it for what it's worth, but know that I have done extensive research on the subject of the carbohydrate metabolism, weight loss, cardio and weight training exercise, and nutrition. That doesn't mean I'm THE expert on any of it. It just means I have facts, clinical trials, and empirical evidence to back up my prepositions.

First thing you need to focus on when you are attempting to lose weight and become more healthy is your attitude. Asking yourself WHY you are overweight is far more important than people think. Many many people bury their emotions and use food as a crutch. Until you solve your emotional issues, you will NEVER EVER be able to consistantly stay at a healthy weight. Losing weight without finding out why is like treating the infection from an open wound, without ever closing up the wound itself. You don't need to solve all these underlying issues (although that would obviously help), but you do need to recognize them and see them for what they are. A key way to help do this is to carry a diary. Every time you eat, write down what you are thinking about. It doesn't matter if it's food related or not, you can figure that stuff out later.

Second thing to focus on is where you are with regards to weight. Are you morbidly obese, obese, overweight, a healthy weight, or underweight. Each of these areas has a different requirement for calories in vs calories out as well as types, amount, and levels of activity (I.E. cardio, weight training, intervals, isometrics, plyometrics...etc). Once you figure out where you are, you can find out (either by asking people on here, or seeing a CERTIFIED personal trainer) what you need to be doing in order to get where you want to be. So many people on here try to eat less then they should. There are some very good posts on here about exercise calories and the metabolism. You should make sure you have a thorough understanding of where your body's internal chemistry is before you start trying to do any caloric deficit stuff. Go to the main message page and look at the Sticky notes at the top of the General topic, read those posts, they will really help you have a better understanding of all this.

Third thing to focus on is your nutrition. Calories in vs Calories out is great, it's a start. But really, eating the right amount of calories is 1/2 the battle. if you eat the right amount of calories every day but it's in Twinkies, well... guess what, you aren't making it very easy on yourself, and you'll probably fail. The nutrition pyramid WORKS people. No need for nutrient restrictive diets, or some weird detox to get your body healthy, eating a good, balanced healthy diet, slightly taylored to a deficit, works just fine.

Fourth thing (and I find this vital). Don't expect miracles! You don't drop 50 lbs in 3 months normally. And no, pills won't do it either. Until they find a pill that allows you to store undigested calories, boost your metabolism, and stimulate muscle growth while blocking fat absorbtion with no side effects and can be taken for life, then a pill isn't the answer. Be sure to check your facts. If a pill claims something like this, look for clinical trials by 3rd party groups, look for empirical evidence by government sponsored trials, and look for FDA (in the US) approval, if they have none of it, toss the pill, it's a scam.

Fifth thing, do your research. There are a TON of great sites out there that have lots of good info. Before you decide on an approach, see what the facts are. Some great basic sites are the following.

WebMD : http://www.webmd.com

the presidents fitness pages : http://www.fitness.gov/

the Mayo Clinic : http://www.mayoclinic.com

and for those who can read medical documentation

new england Journal of Medicine (pay) : http://content.nejm.org/

American journal of clinical nutrition : http://www.ajcn.org/

I hope this helps some people. Best luck to you all.

-Banks
    _____________________________________________________________________________

(on the same link from Kerrilucko) -

Thu 02/19/09 06:39 AM
    I'm touched to have been included in you "et. al" Boss.

It was an excellent post, it will point users in the right direction. This really is all about changing the way you think. I do have some more specific tips to add. Idea and tricks that have helped me along the way. Here goes:

1. Having a "cheat day" doesn't work. If you plan your week to lose 1 pound, and grant yourself Saturday as a cheat day, you're going to blow your entire week, I promise you. Now, there is a difference between allowing yourself a "treat" and having a "cheat day". When I first started here, I allowed myself a 100 cal chocolate bar and a diet soda every saturday. I got my pop and chocolate fix for just 100 calories. Eventually I stopped craving the fix. The point is, a treat can fit neatly into your day, a cheat day may completely sabatoge your goals.

2. Water is important but it won't make you lose weight. I've read A LOT on these boards, where people ask "I can't drink 8 glasses of water a day, so I havn't lost any weight!" well no, that's not true. For starters just like anything else, your body will get used to drinking that much water if you want it to. But that's not really th point. For me, the point of drinking water (and I will note, that is ALL I drink) is that it effectively replaces high calorie drinks that used to be my choices. Thus, I'm saved from 500-1000 drink calories that I used to be consuming. Water is great for your body, don't get me wrong, but it won't MAKE you lose weight, nor are 8 glasses neccessary for everyone to ensure hydration.

3. Don't let yourself go hungry. If you're constantly starving, especially in the beginning, this is going to be REALLY hard to stick with. DO yourself a favour and let yourself EAT. A big leafy salad with light dressing has next to no calories and tons of nutrients, not to mention the bulk will really fill you up. My trick was always cucumber slices. For very few calories you can eat a WHOLE lot of cucumber, believe me.

4. If you're one of those people that find it hard to eat 1200 calories in a day (because you're too full) there's very clearly a problem. It is really likely that you're ignoring certain food groups (usually grains and/or dairy are the ones I notice). This entire journey is about HEALTH, not seeing who can eat the most vegetables (and nothing else). Nobody got overweight by eating that way, so I know you've all got it in you to eat at least 1200 cals in a day.

5. Moderation. This has been a key factor in my own ability to stick with this. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but if you ask me, chicken breasts and ground turkey, while great choices, get really. really. really. boring! I eat everything. I eat hamburger, steak, pork, chicken (all cuts), fish (all types), seafoods, turkey, bacon (that's pork bacon) and anything else I feel like. Thing is I stick to portion sizes. I don't go eating a 16-oz steak and I never eat more than 2 or 3 slices of bacon. Eat what you like, just eat it in moderation. Nothing is good for you if you eat it ALL the time right?

6. (and this is a biggie) GET OFF THE SCALE. It drives me nuts to read about you guys in tears, ripping your hair out because the scale says you gained 2 lbs between yesterday and today. Yes, weight fluctuates, so why are you weighing yourself everyday? There is truly NO point to this and it is actually very destructive to the entire process. "I've gained 2 lbs even though I've been trying so hard... I may as well just give up!" You see my point?

and lastly 7. None of the big losers on this website lost their weight in a few weeks, or even a few months. I've been here almost a year, I know that Tam has been here for almost a year and a half. It takes time guys. Even if you only have 10 or so to lose, be prepared for it to take a year or so. The smaller you are, the more slowly you can expect to lose weight. For many that will mean a lb or so a MONTH. Being impatient is your own worst enemy.

Good luck all
    bump
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    bump.gif
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    bump.gif

OMG - that cracks me up... like, OOOOPPss

Bumpity bump..
  • cmriverside
    Options
    dudes.gif

banks' one creeps me out.
    (Arewethereyet posted this on banks' "Tips" thread.....hope they don't mind my stealing it......:happy: )
    I know I still have more weight to lose, but I do not gauge success on weight loss only. I feel successful because I am eating right, exercise is a part of my life, my meds are all gone and my doctor loves me again!!

Here is what I have learned (amongst other things) in the past 7 months.
    4. Drink your water. It is good for you. Period!
    5. Come here every day to be held accountable (even if only to yourself).
    6. Take it One day at a time. There are times I take it a minute at a time.
    7. It will get easier.
    8. It takes 21 days to break a bad habit, so only 21 days to make a new GOOD one!
    9. Be positive. Even if you dont feel positive, write something down you did today that you thought "Hmm that is new!" I have a stack of post it notes from 7 months of changing my life.
    10. Know that there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. That pot of gold is your Health!

Jeannie

Thanks, AWTY! ! :glasses:
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: bump:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LaurenLibra
    Options
    dudes.gif

haha!!!
    i love how you posted that and yet Banks post creeped you out:laugh:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    dudes.gif

haha!!!

smileys_frech-005.gif
    banks' one is Waaaaayyyyyy creepier........:wink:
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Options
    bump.gif
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    dudes.gif

haha!!!

smileys_frech-005.gif

CM, nothing I do should creep you out by now. You should know I'm just a creepy guy overall. :tongue:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    dudes.gif

haha!!!

smileys_frech-005.gif

CM, nothing I do should creep you out by now. You should know I'm just a creepy guy overall. :tongue:

well, okay. eek-1.gif
This discussion has been closed.