Selfie psychology

Options
124»

Replies

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I selfie because there was a point in my life where I hated what I saw in the mirror. It has taken many years to learn self love. So when I selfie now, I do it because I feel good, in my eyes I look good and It's a reminder of how far I've come.

The luster of selfying on this site has lost its appeal to me so I don't do it as often anymore.

I feel like the selfie thread is Facebook and all the kids are migrating to Instagram
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    denny_mac wrote: »
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    I selfie because there was a point in my life where I hated what I saw in the mirror. It has taken many years to learn self love. So when I selfie now, I do it because I feel good, in my eyes I look good and It's a reminder of how far I've come.

The luster of selfying on this site has lost its appeal to me so I don't do it as often anymore.

I feel like the selfie thread is Facebook and all the kids are migrating to Instagram

I like this analogy. You're quite insightful, Hank.

I feel like you already said the same thing actually
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Point of clarification...

If the picture is of you AND/WITH someone else, is that still a selfie? I take lots of those, but I rarely post them. Selfies of just me are rarely take, but ALWAYS posted, as that's why they are taken.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options

I don't selfie much on here anymore either. Idk if I got bored with it or just don't care if I get attention from it.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I imagine 2 reasons.

Some post them probably because they've gained confidence and feel proud of themselves, others probably just becausr "look at me, look at me!" *Gush* *fawn*
  • R3d_butt3rfly
    R3d_butt3rfly Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options

I don't selfie much on here anymore either. Idk if I got bored with it or just don't care if I get attention from it.

Or you just got tired of being jailed :p lol

I think it's the latter. I know that's why stopped. I don't really care for the attention on here or on any other social media platform at the moment. I know I appreciate seeing a face I dont get to see often and that's what I'm aiming for.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    Here's something I noticed not that long ago. On dating apps, women will post selfies with those damn cartoon snapchat filters. Just what are you trying to portray with this?

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I think it's at least tangentially related to the theme of the thread.

I can explain this.

The cartoon filters offer all of the blurring and beautifying effects of a regular filter without the stigma of one. The cartoon portrays a goofy girl, someone who likes to have fun at her own expense. The hope is that the overall image portrayed is of a beautiful flawless girl who doesn’t act like the stereotypical beautiful flawless girl (read: not fun I guess) and can stick her neck out by being silly on a dating app.

as a guy looking at the pictures... it just makes me look elsewhere.

ladies. do men do this too? post snapchat-cartoon-selfies on dating apps?

Agreed. I'm not on those sites anymore, but I don't have the energy or the patience for that nonsense. Show me you, otherwise I'm moving on.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    Here's something I noticed not that long ago. On dating apps, women will post selfies with those damn cartoon snapchat filters. Just what are you trying to portray with this?

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I think it's at least tangentially related to the theme of the thread.

I can explain this.

The cartoon filters offer all of the blurring and beautifying effects of a regular filter without the stigma of one. The cartoon portrays a goofy girl, someone who likes to have fun at her own expense. The hope is that the overall image portrayed is of a beautiful flawless girl who doesn’t act like the stereotypical beautiful flawless girl (read: not fun I guess) and can stick her neck out by being silly on a dating app.

As someone who has never been on a dating app, I still feel like I can answer this question
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options

imo its goofy but cute either way.

like me personally, i'd rather see snapchat filters than more "touch my butt and buy me pizza", "not into drama", "tacos are life", or "not interested in f-boys" statements.

like cmon becky you're not that original. just post up a cute/funny selfie and let's get on with it.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options

I can explain this.

Yes the men do it also. But the more go to pics for men are the topless and or holding a fish pictures. I am proud to say that I have NO Snap pics on my dating profiles.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

I can explain this.

Agreed. I'm not on those sites anymore, but I don't have the energy or the patience for that nonsense. Show me you, otherwise I'm moving on.

I guess I always think of it like a padded bra, false advertising.
  • caco_ethes
    Options

I can explain this.

Hey! Some of us need the padding because we fall down a lot!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I've never been on a dating app (they became a thing after I was no longer single) so I don't really know but I'm sure they use the little cartoon snapchat filters because those filters still have the "beautifying" effect so it makes them look prettier even though they have stupid cat ears or whatever. People will post those pictures as their profile pics on facebook too.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    me thinks you thinks too hard about it
  • jjpptt2
    Options

I can explain this.

Different animals for me. One is largely expected (similar to showing off your good side or wearing flattering clothing), the other wreaks of immaturity (I'm 42, FWIW) and game playing.